Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got this in the door today

Options
  • 12-03-2002 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

"Irish nuclear emergency" leaflet, explaining on who to contact in case of nuclear accident or terrorist attack.....

did anybody else get one, and if so does this scare you as much as me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43954

Yes I loved the part where they said, 'in the event of nuclear fallout with a halflife of a quater of a million years, stay indoors', almost as useful as telling people to 'duck and cover' if they were anywhere near to a thermonuclear blast.

Dont worry veonix,
    I got it last week,
    I think the only reason we're getting them , is that the minister in charge of this area made an ass of himself on the Marian Finucane show on Radio one last year(the famous interview where he said we had to go indoors and not drink any water in the event of a nuclear attack or explosion at Sellafield and take our tablets:rolleyes: )

He committed the Government to sending out that leaflet.
    We will also be receiving iodine tablets(but don't disolve them in water as if you spill the liquid,it's near impossible to wash out:D )

Presumably we had to get all this stuff before the election so as no one would say we didn't:rolleyes:
    Another pointless waste of public money:rolleyes:
    Money,imho, that should be going into the healt service:mad:
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Yes I loved the part where they said, 'in the event of nuclear fallout [with a halflife of a quarter of a million years], stay indoors', almost as useful as telling people to 'duck and cover' if they were anywhere near to a thermonuclear blast.

I believe it's useful. Only certain types of radioactive isotopes have such long half-lives.

After all, it is quite safe to live in Nagasaki and Hiroshima these days and they had it MUCH worse than we ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Alias Bob

Maybe they are expecting fallout from a Nuclear Reactor Most Likely

Below Just A few Nuclear Facts

Privatization of nuclear power failed

All this is a result of the government's wish to keep the nuclear power stations open and of the failed attempt by the former Thatcher government to privatize all electricity companies. Not a single private company was prepared to take over the nuclear power stations, because their studies showed that electricity from nuclear reactors is on average three times as expensive as electricity from other power stations - although the government always claimed that nuclear power was much cheaper

. This development made the government look pretty silly. But because Thatcher was willing to keep the nuclear reactors open at any cost, the bill, after vehement debate, was changed and the nuclear stations were no longer part of the privatization plans. After the attempt to privatize failed, all nuclear power stations were placed under two specially established state companies: Nuclear Electric in England and Wales, and Scottish Nuclear in Scotland. To avoid immediate bankruptcy, the above mentioned subsidy was established, from which, by the way, only Nuclear Electric benefits. The official the plan is for nuclear power to become lucrative before ending the measure in 1998.It absolutely doesn't look like that will happen, so the government will prefer to extend the measure.

Yours
    Alias Bob
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its not getting the leaflet that scares me its the fact that i got the leaflet less than a week after info was leaked from the whitehouse about bush's 'contingency' plans for pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the "alliance of evil" countries.........

thats what scares me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Alias Bob

its not getting the leaflet that scares me its the fact that i got the leaflet less than a week after info was leaked from the whitehouse about bush's 'contingency' plans for pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the "alliance of evil" countries......... [/QUOTE

] Now we may have sonething to worry about, see below. China talks tough.

MARCH 16, 11:51 ET
    China Summons Diplomat Over Taiwan
    By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN
    Associated Press Writer

BEIJING (AP) — China expressed ``strong indignation and resolute opposition'' to growing U.S.-Taiwan military contacts, summoning the American ambassador Saturday to demand Washington reverse course on ties with the island.

Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing told U.S. Ambassador Clark T. Randt it is ``crucial to observe the attitude of the U.S. side,'' China Central Television reported in its main evening news broadcast.

``We hope the United States makes a clear and decisive decision,'' it quoted Li as saying.

The statement was the latest in a series of protests underscoring the Chinese government's deep unease over what it perceives as strengthened U.S. support for Taiwan, a self-governing island Beijing claims as an indivisible part of Chinese territory.

``The Chinese government and people express their strong indignation and resolute opposition to acts that interfere in China's internal affairs and undermine China-U.S. relations,'' Li said.

Li criticized the United States for permitting Taiwan's defense minister, Tang Yiau-ming, to attend a private defense convention this month in St. Petersburg, Fla. — the first time a Taiwanese defense minister has visited the United States since Washington cut ties with Taiwan in 1979 in order to recognize Beijing.

Further enraging China, Tang discussed Taiwan's defense needs in private meetings on the conference's sidelines with Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and Assistant Secretary of State James Kelly.

Li also castigated Washington for granting a visa to former Taiwanese president Lee Teng-hui, reviled by the Chinese government for his efforts to cement Taiwan's independent identity.

Li also accused the United States of violating the terms of three joint communiques, encouraging Taiwanese independence through sales of sophisticated weapons and seeking to intimidate China with nuclear threats.

China's leaders have repeatedly said Taiwan is the most sensitive issue in its relations with the United States. China and Taiwan separated amid civil war in 1949, and Beijing has threatened to use force to reassert control over the island despite increasing economic links.

The United States is Taiwan's biggest weapons supplier, and U.S. law includes a vague threat that American forces might help defend Taiwan if it is attacked.

The TV report was notable for its length — more than five minutes — and strong language. Recent efforts by the government to improve relations with the United States have been sharply criticized by nationalists who strongly resent U.S. backing of Taiwan.

Yours
    Alias Bob

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

China and Taiwan is kind of funny dealing with.

For example if you mention Taiwan in a Chinese product without mentioning "ROC" in the details it can be refused. Also you can tell peoples standing on the issue in Taiwan if they finish thier address with Taiwan then they were against China, if they finished it with ROC they were for China.

Having a Chinese and Taiwan national in the same room is always fun too when it comes to who owns what.

Advertisement