Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceefax has gone-for good?!

Options
  • 09-03-2002 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Ficked on the ceefax this afternoon to check the Wolves game
    and there it was - gone!

BBC digital channels no longer carry ceefax instead you find info on the new channel BBCi which is ioly accessible via SKY.

So where does that leave those of us on NTL and Chorus?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Rumour has it that NTL will be launching their interactive service in ROI later this year, Mike. I think I saw it on DigiSpy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

Don't think that it has gone completely .. my spies tell me that this is just a momentary lapse by one of the aforementioned companies and will sorted probably by monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

As a Chorus Analog customer, I find this quite strange. Since yesterday, my BBC1 CEEFAX has the single message, informing me that the service is no longer available to Digital Satellite customers. Fine. What's that got to do with Chorus Analog?

BBC2 Displays no text at all.

Also, UTV disappeared entirely at the same time this happened, and stayed out for abut 20 hours.

Also, a new "Press Red" button has arrived on BBC1.

Anyone familiar with the current setup for SKY DIGITAL customers will recognise all of the above symptoms. This prompts me to wonder how Chorus receive the signal that they re-distribute to us as Analog - via Sky Digital, maybe?

My mental image of them as a company - always pretty poor - now sees their offices a a shed in someone's backgarden, with a mini-dish taking the feed, and someone frantically going through the "Add Channels" option trying to re-install ITV.

Keep it up Chorus - I look for forward to looking back and laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Very curious....
    The cable co's backup system seems to be a Sky Digibox!!
    Did the red button work at any stage? :p:p

This is the service you are paying for, guys, you know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damo, the red button on an NTL remote obviously won't suddenly allow teletext to work on a NTL box! Sadly...also UTV disapeared for me as well, on analogue and was replaced by HTV Wales meanwhile UTV on digital was blank.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I heard that UTV was also off-air on Chorus when the ITV network centre blocked its service on Sky. Its ironic that the Cable companies, object to RTE/TV3 joining the Sky digital platform. The funny thing is that as soon as RTE broadcasts on SKY, chorus will probally be rebroadcasting their signal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Did this affect both NTL and Chorus? Right now, my NTL analogue's functioning as normal, BBC NI and UTV both relays of analogue terrestrial.

On an off-but-slightly-related point, when RTE had regional opt-outs tests last year during Nationwide, I'm told that Chorus Digital viewers - all of them - got the West opt! Picked up off air at Chorus digital head end at Limerick, no doubt.

As to how Chorus recieve the signal they redistribute to you via analogue - there is a Chorus-run microwave network which distributes the analogue signal (picked up off-air at the border) to all Chorus and NTL MMDS head ends throughout the country, and I believe most cable head-ends now use this too. However I'm told that some ex-CMI (now Chorus) head ends use Sky Digiboxes instead (on a permanent basis).

BTW, have the three Chorus areas that took BBC Wales/HTV changed to BBC NI/UTV yet? With a digital signal available to them, not to mention the existing network, there's no excuse for them not to carry the "correct" signal.

The Chorus Cable (ex CMI) in Arklow used to carry HTV /BBC Wales and S4C.
    They now carry the northern Ireland ones,received from a large mmds tower on the maratime museum in the town.
    All the channels are in mono with disgracefull reception:mad:
    The mmds aerial is pointed to Slieve Bhui near Carnew,as the crow flies about 20 miles away.
    I used to use it myself(pre Sky digital:D ) for Channel four and UTV.
    The pictures look like they are being beamed from the moon with 1969 technology.

How does the ODTR let Chorus charge people for this?????
    I know local councillors have complained but to no avail.
    mm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I cannot believe Chorus are resorting to a relay of a relay - picking up channels off-air from their own MMDS network - when they could just use a digibox. Maybe there are contractural problems, but I wouldn't think so...

I presume Rathnew and New Ross are using the same arrangements? If so, its almost the end of an era - all licenced cable systems in ROI - other than Casey Cablevision - will be taking NI channels, not Wales. (Incidently, there was a case where a customer in Wicklow took CMI to the Advertising Standards Authority over their advertising of UTV when they were clearly broadcasting HTV...)

Meanwhile Chorus have promised improvements...could be a while though. See the ODTR documentation regarding Chorus' price increase:

www.odtr.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by icdg
    all licenced cable systems in ROI - other than Casey Cablevision - will be taking NI channels, not Wales.

they are giving out the English versions of the BBC, Channel 4 and i am almost sure HTV Wales. all taken from Sky. they have BBC1 Wales and S4C as well as BBC News 24 and Channel 5. if only they would put a cable down my road for that lovely broadband

• Advertisement

The ceefax on BBC1 is back as is UTV though teletext on C4 is still missing except for the TV section. Hmmm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

That'd be the Sky Digital feed of Channel 4. It doesn't have teletext, only 4tel.

In reply to ICDG above:

My friends in Arklow have an all singing and all dancing widescreen tv-receiving mono signals from chorus with the beamed from the moon pictures.

They are getting Sky digital and cancelling Chorus,as have most on their road now.
    Most on that road also have an aerial of their own now,getting HTV with nicam sound.
    Chorus Arklow haven't heard of that technology.

I don't know what the situation is in Wicklow town or down in Enniscorthy-except to say there are often aricles of complaint in the local papers.
    mm

And just to drag this slightly back on topic,Chorus signals in Arklow aren't good enough for teletext-you just get jumbled characters:mad:

MM, that Chorus signal sounds no better than what I used to get via a deflecter when I lived in the sticks, but we were only paying about 30 quid a year for that! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

Hi
    I`m from New Ross
    Even thought I still have Cable (only for UTV)
    I think Chorus Cable TV are worst ever telveision
    company. The picture quaity is so bad even you
    wold get better by aerial than Chorus.
    So Got Sky Digial Four months ago it is far better
    than Chorus the picture quality is always
    100%. I rather pay €53 for Sky than Pay €15 a month
    for good quality of picture.When RTE comes on Sky, Chorus
    will go down.Chorus is backed up by a Sky Digibox how can
    they allow this. Chorus are proably breaking the law.
    My advice to Chorus customers DITCH CHORUS AND GET
    SKY DIGITAL COS IT A HUNDREDS TIMES BETTER THAN
    CHORUS!!!!.

Advertisement