Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for information on DBA Radio

Options
  • 09-03-2002 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Does anyone know if there are any DBA radio stations broadcasting in the Republic of Ireland? I have contacted RTE with my query and surprise, surprise they ignored my e-mail. I am really interested in digital radio, Sky's service is ok but you are tied to the TV set with it. DBA seems to be the way of the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

www.radiowaves.fm
    Check out this Irish radio site and forum. Many postings mostly about local and national radio. Ask the question and expect many replies as its a very busy site. However be aware that the RadioWaves forum, is not as "Civil" as this board. Expect to see lots of adverse comments:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Genghis

Hi Slipper,

I too am interested in Digital radio, the potential for it (as gleaned fom the BBC website) is fantastic, and if it were available, I would certainly invest in the technology.

I did read somewhere that RTE or perhaps BCI are conducting trials in the Dublin area, but I cannot remember the specifics.

We are a good deal behind the UK on this (unfortunately, this is not unusual), and i don't know of any plans to begin actual broadcasting. It might be worth your while e-mailing bci.

And pacman, thanks for the link, had'nt heard about that one,

Cheers,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

RTÉ have a DAB website here:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/dab/

RTÉ were testing a year or two ago from 3 Rock in Dublin. The four RTÉ stations and WRN were broadcast. They stopped them and decided to wait and see how DAB gets on in the UK etc.

Whilst I love the idea of the extra choice and the possibility for better sound I understand the quality of audio is very poor in the UK... It's supposed to be the equivalent to a 96k MP3 file, way over compressed and of worse quaility than FM.

Until more bandwidth is given over to DAB and cheap recievers become readily available, I don't believe the take up of the service is really going to improve. I do however believe the new digital only services from the BBC may help somewhat.

Just last week I emailed RTE about the introduction of DTT & DAB services.. This is the response I recieved:

There are no further developments on DAB or DTT services. The new mast
    in Three Rock is for analogue and digital and it will be commissioned in
    the next few months.

Regards
    Tom McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Crikey David C!

I mailed RTÉ some time ago regarding DAB (early January) No responce!

Well done sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Slipper

Thanks folks for all you help

• Advertisement
Advertisement