Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV - All gone quiet?

Options
  • 06-03-2002 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone heard anything more about UTV? I havn't seen any evidence of any new information from anywhere.

Time to drop our Orla a wee note, I think!

Mark.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Haven't heard a word about UTV since. I guess these "negotiations" take time!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

I sent Orla this mail last week, 1st March 2002.

"Hi Orla
    I am enquiring about UTV on the EPG for Sky Digital in the Republic of Ireland. Has there been any update to the press release of the 13th of February stating that "Despite this ITV decision, we will continue to work with them to make UTV available on satellite as quickly as possible"?

I got the exact same reply as half this country, they didn't even bother to read my mail, they just copied in the same reply as before word for word that is in the press release.

Think I will be ringing Orla this time
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I have to add, that even though UTV is now blocked, that the UTV press office is being very honest in their dealings with the public.
    E-mails were replied, and last week when i telephoned UTV, I left a message on Orla's answering machine, and late afternoon she called me back !! They even put a press release on their UTV Internet site, blaming ITV network centre centre.
    Both Orla and Lucy in UTV press office, have replied as quickly as possible to our questions. Compare UTV to Sky/BBC/Ch4 who can all take ages to reply and then give an answer to a question that we did not ask. Ok, UTV is still blocked, but the press office there has been very good at their job... It might help that Orla is from Dublin:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

I sent them an email yesterday. It said:

Hi Orla,

It's been some time since this announcement was made. Has there been any progress? There is a nation of interested TV viewers holding it's
    breath!

Thanks!

They replied this morning. Their reply said:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our position remains as before - we are continuing to work with the ITV Network to make UTV available on satellite as quickly as possible in the South.

I don't want to annoy them, but I'd love a teensie bit more info than that..

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

we are continuing to work with the ITV Network

So the main block to UTV coiming on Irish EPG is ITV? Is this because Granada don't want UTV competing with TV3 here?

• Advertisement
    byte

It's possible. I just hope that negotiations are progressing. I reckon that when we do get UTV on EPG, there will be no F1:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alfa

Spoke to sky customer service

Enquired about the ability to tune in ITV1 still in ROI and was told that whilst it still was possible they would not reveal how.

(As mentioned on previous treads, BBC1 & 2 are on the EPG but u are unable to view them)

The girl from C/S said that this method would be blocked very shortly.

Pressed on when ITV / UTV might appear in the ROI on SKY, I was informed that as far as Sky was concerned that discussions were complete at present and that it would not be appearing on SKY in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

This reply has often been given by Sky even days before a channel launch so I would regard this as not necessarily the truth.

Actually, I was just on to Sky there about Series Link on Sky1 and I asked them about UTV coming on to the EPG here and she told me as far as she knew we weren't getting it at all :( I hope they are all wrong in there. Might be ringing Orla again in the morning just to see.

I rang Orla McKibbin this morning in the UTV press office and left her a voice mail, fair play to her, within 20 minutes she had returned my call saying that the person in Sky was wrong and that there was actually a couple of people over in the UK today talking with Sky about UTV in the Republic and that negotations are still ongoing and as soon as she had any more news she would let us know. She is going to ring the PR person in Sky now to tell them to stop giving customers false information.

Fair play Orla keep up the good work :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alfa

Thanks for the update !!!

byte

If only the other TV companies had good honest PR personnel like Orla at UTV! :rolleyes: :) At least she tells us things, unlike some (C4 comes to mind)

Advertisement