Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sky 1 Free to view with a UK Sky card??

Options
  • 06-03-2002 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a UK Digibox, complete with UK card,(BBC/ITV) on E-Bay, and discovered that SKY One, was available to view.
    The card only receives the BBC/ITV/Ch4/Ch5 and the dreadful shopping channels,, and I was suprised that I could view Sky One.
    Can anyone with a UK card confirm that Sky one is not encripted?? Or am I just crazy:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I just recieved a uk card this week from a friend in London,
    and behold, Sky One is switched on.
    Also
    BBC1 & Two London and ITV London are much better than
    the NornIron (NI) versions.
    I think the word is sanity.
    For example, on Final Score at 4:55 on BBC1 Saturday before all of the soccer results are given, they switch over to the NornIron results. I mean, who gives a flying toss about Cliftonville 1 Ards 2?. They could at least wait for the English scores to be finished.
    Plus all the NI programming quite literally sucks. And there is so much of it. etc etc.
    A BBC London Card is definitely the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

If Sky One is "In the Clear" on UK cards, why then are Irish Sky viewers paying for it?

I have to agree with you Carrolls, regarding the quality of BBC1 and BBC2 programmes with a BBC England card. And for "Final Score"... well the NI opt-out is dreadful. BBC1 NI should stay with the BBC network feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

strange !! I have a BBC card which was registered a couple of years back and no, I can't get SKY One.

What do you think my chances are of getting it are if I phone Sky to complain about their sloppy service for ROI viewers with freetoair cards !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I've got 4 boxes with BBC cards and none of them get Sky1.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It looks like pure luck that you have them, if you ask me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

A guy claimed on uk.media.tv.sky last year that he had all the UK terestrial channels on his sub card.

He lives in Ireland, has an Irish account but for some reason when Sky activated his card they activated it as a UK subscription card.

Yeap and I have Film four,which I don't subscribe to at all:)
    I count myself luckier than anyone with free Sky one.
    As free Film four(including +1,World and extreme) is a Bargain at €o.oo per month :) and cool movies too.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by PacMan
    If Sky One is "In the Clear" on UK cards, why then are Irish Sky viewers paying for it?

I have to agree with you Carrolls, regarding the quality of BBC1 and BBC2 programmes with a BBC England card. And for "Final Score"... well the NI opt-out is dreadful. BBC1 NI should stay with the BBC network feed.

There are some people interested in NI Results - obviously you don't, but to be fair, the service is not designed with Tipperary people in mind. I presume the thinking is that BBC NI is what most people in the Republic would want so that is what they getting. Giving a choice would be unfair to UK Licence Fee payers unless they got the same choice.

Personally, I think everybody should get everything as long as they pay for it (if necessary), but it may be some time before we achieve that.

Advertisement