Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeshift

Options
  • 04-03-2002 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Writing as someone who has access to the BBC on both NTL and Sky Digital, I must say that I'm delighted that the BBC channels on Sky Digital are time-shifted by a few seconds.

That way, if I'm watching a programme on BBC1 on NTL (say, Eastenders) and I get distracted by reality for a second or two, I can quickly switch to BBC1 on Sky Digital and catch up on the couple of seconds I've lost.

It's also marvellous if you want a repeat showing of a Steve Owen smirk, a Phil Mitchell punch or one of Lisa's whines.

Am I the only one who finds this tremendously useful ?

Should I get out more ?

Perhaps we should e-mail Sky to thank them for this facility.

I feel we don't say "thanks" often enough.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

listening to lisa whine is bad enough
    but why on earth would anyone want to listen to her whine twice???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I find that to be one of the major drawbacks of DSAT, the couple of seconds delay. This could sound the deathknell for clocks (but only BBC 1 regualrily show one nowadays) because when you watch, say the clock on BBC 1 at 6pm, its not 18:00:00, its like 18:00:02. Bit of inaccuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

It's not just digital satellite. Any digital compression incurs a delay I think. The distance traveled to and from the satellite just adds an extra second or so on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I reckon if I sent my original post into Sky Customer Magazine, I could be "Viewer of the Month" and win a widescreen TV or something.

I'm sure they'd fall for it (although I'd have to remove the reference to NTL).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ever notice that all the letters in the "Irish" sky book are from uk viewers? I am yet to see an Irish contribitor there yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Ever notice that all the letters in the "Irish" sky book are from uk viewers? I am yet to see an Irish contribitor there yet?

I'm pretty sure there was one in the current issue. In fairness to Sky, they do put a bit of effort into customising the Irish magazine for Irish viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

they still plug shows that are on channles we cant get

Advertisement