Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will rte start testing?

Options
  • 03-03-2002 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭

With just over a month till rte supposedly start broadcasting on sky digital, is it not time they started testing?
    Itv started testing a long time before they went on, or does rte evev have the new dish built yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by digiman
    With just over a month till rte supposedly start broadcasting on sky digital, is it not time they started testing?

No.

Just because they start testing does not then imply that you can join in the fun, just recently both Motors TV and F1+ tests were conducted in private so they same could happen for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by digiman
    Itv started testing a long time before they went on, or does rte evev have the new dish built yet

I think someone here said that the dish has only started to be built in the past week or so.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AJC

If they get a Sky Installer to put the dish in we'll be waiting.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OI, are you saying there's something wrong with us sky installers?:( :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, is it possible to get a very recent aerial (geddit :rolleyes: ) view of Montrose to see work in progress? Heck, is it possible to see any aerial view of montrose?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I always find the top floor of the 46A handy :)

Seriously, I would expect within the next month or two that tests will begin. It seems a formal launch will be around the end of April. Don't expect the tests to be as drawn out as the ITV ones, RTE isn't so complicated...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

46A? :confused: If ya can see Montrose back yard from there, get your camera out, Ronan!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

According to knowledge bible 'The Star', RTÉ may sell their Montrose premises and move somewhere else in a bid to raise cash, as their Dublin 4 address is worth around €100 million.

I bet they'll just stick the uplink dish on the back of the delivery van... :rolleyes:

Glenn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That was in the Sunday Times yesterday...

Unfortunately, the online edition no longer carries an Ireland section.....

Even IF RTE decided to sell Montrose, which I very serious doubt, it would take them ages to get up and running in a decent site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

That's a big "if" ........ oh, I see !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marconi

Cash-strapped RTE has a number of acres which is surplus to its requirements at Montrose - it is this land which could be sold off to facilitate the building of yuppie appartment blocks, etc. There's no way that the entire Montrose site would be sold, unless RTE became bankrupt and the government decided it was in the nation's interest to let it fade to black.

As regards RTE going on SKY, I have it from a reliable source that the site for the uplink dish is currently being excavated and the concrete should be poured soon. Obviously, this will take a couple of weeks to settle before construction of the actual dish can commence. Then all the transmitter and encoding equipment will have to be installed - I'd say we're looking at the end of April before we'll see anything!

If I hear any more I'll keep you informed.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AJC

17 March, straight onto EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 brenny2506

17 March WHAT YEAR?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by AJC
    17 March, straight onto EPG.

no way
    marconi says the dish isnt even built yet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There's some digging work going on directly adjacent to the transmitter at Montrose (Stillorgan Road side, on front of the Television Centre). Near where the other satellite dishes are - perhaps that's where RTE are putting the dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

couldn't RTÉ uplink RTÉ1, Network 2 and TG4 to the satellite where TARA goes until their new dish is built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Maybe the dish is not steerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I was thinking that to, is that the same way that rte radio 1 is beamed up?
    I think it is beamed up over in england at bt. this would probably cost them more money and they dont exactly have a lot of that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    couldn't RTÉ uplink RTÉ1, Network 2 and TG4 to the satellite where TARA goes until their new dish is built

No reason why not, it has to be uplinked/ downlinked to betzdorf before it goes to 28 degree's so I dont see why they cant use the existing Tara link.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

maybe thats why they want tara shut down in the meantime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭osullima

Originally posted by dmeehan

no way
    marconi says the dish isnt even built yet

Does Marconi make these dishes?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by dmeehan
    maybe thats why they want tara shut down in the meantime...

Well it's possible to uplink several tv channels on one uplink carrier so I think the whole tara thing is for other reasons discussed on other threads.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by osullima
    Does Marconi make these dishes?:confused:

marconi posted a comment in this thread...

Last two posts were funnaaaay:D :D
    mm
    Whhops,I mean the one b4 and after yours Tony:D

Advertisement