Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two digiboxes ?

Options
  • 01-03-2002 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

If I buy a 2nd digibox on ebay, connect it to the minidish lead and use my FTV card will it work? It seems pretty straight forward to me but just checking in case their is some technical hitch that I am overlooking. It would be really handy to be able to cancel the ntl subscription!! Thanks,

Phelim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Hi,

you will need a dish with a twin or quad output LNB and a seperate cable feed; splitting the existing cable will not work. Of course you could keep switching the existing cable between each box but this is inconvenient and could damage your digibox(es) due to the electrical current passing through the cable.

HTH,

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Phelim 3:16

The best laid plans of mice and men! I knew there would be some technical hitch to ruin my masterplan! So any ideas how much that would cost? And does anyone know when sky are bringing in the service that they have in the UK allowing different channels to be watched in different rooms that they advertise on tv with that god awful "excluding ROI" banner? And what technology does that use. Thanks Glennus for your speedy reply!

Phelim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

No problem ;)

I have no idea how much it would cost. You may be able to get a new or second-hand twin or quad output minidish LNB from the UK and fit that, otherwise you will have to get a new 'regular' dish with a twin or quad LNB as regular LNBs will not work with a minidish and vise versa.

As for Sky+ I don't know when they plan to launch that here. The Sky+ box uses a minidish as mentioned above with either a twin or quad LNB and has two input sockets on the back for each feed.

HTH,

Glenn
    who has said 'LNB' too many times today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Total installation cost for me was £100 (excluding digibox). All you need is to get a technician to change your LNB to a QUAD Lnb (dual would do but quad is recommended).

Simple job of taking LNB off existing dish, attaching the new one, fitting cable and running it into whatever room you want the new digibox in.

Phone independant installer and get quotations. Its worth shopping around as one yahoo quoted me £250 for same job.

Advertisement