Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Tea...

Options
  • 01-03-2002 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

We used to have endless arguments in college about tea.
    The only two I can think of are Barrys and Lyons tea.

Me being from cork I'm a Barrys Tea person. Don't drink Lyons tea if I can help it

Which tea? 18 votes

Barrys
    0% 0 votes
    Lyons
    50% 9 votes
    Other
    50% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I drink Barry's too, but not for any other reason then that I like the browny-gold box.

Lyons strong stuff isn't too bad neither :)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Lyons - gotta love those minstrels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Got to be Barry's. PG Tips are rancid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Lyons I think is nice, Barry's green label is horrid, Don't get me started on Bewleys :mad:

Here, anyone use tealeaves?
    I find they give a nicer cup of tea, if a little awkward and messy.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm not a big fan of Tea but...
    Barrys earlgrey tea = sex in a cup :)

PS. Kenco coffee 0wnz j00

• Registered Users Posts: 78,244 ✭✭✭✭Victor

None. But Barrys for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Liptons tea.

Can't seem to find it anywhere in Ireland though (and I'm including places up north)

Maybe they've gone out of business

GF is over in the UK a bit - says she can't find it there (hmmm if she's looking for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can't drink normal tea anymore after drinking Twinings Earl Grey.

I wonder though, could anyone actually pass the tea taste challenge? Would you know if it was Barry's or Bewleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

The nicest teabag tea which I have found is (surprisingly)
    from Marks & Spencers. They have their own branded
    teabags which come in a large green box (with 4 gold
    sachets of teabags, 240 in total). This makes great
    breakfast tea. Before that I'd hardly trust bagged tea.
    I cringe that I have to buy from M&S but I have read
    good reports of it on rec.foods.tea (sp?). I think this
    is their highest grade tea. They have another blue
    boxed tea which is maltier (more Assam based)
    which isn't blended as nicely as the green one IMHO.

Other teas I like are the Bewleys breakfast tea leaves
    (Yellow box), Darjeeling (expensive , but excellent as
    an afternoon tea with a biccie!) (purple box)

I do admit Barrys is reliable. Their breakfast teabags
    (orange box, silver foil) is good. The tea that goes down
    in history as my least fave is anything from Robert
    Roberts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,244 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, dear, it's a tea fanatic!!!! AAGHHHHH!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Earl Grey, but of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

Sorry Folks, if you really want tea all of the above mentioned products are not what is really called tea. Real tea is putting the real leaves in the pot and savouring it - there are teas for humour, teas for your skin etc etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Lyons tea 0wns meh!

The Moderator of this very board insisted on getting that MUCK Barrys and it's still sitting in the press (a year later) wondering why all those boxes of Lyons Pyramid bags have been coming and going and why no one is drinking it - because YOU TASTE LIKE YOU WERE MADE WITH MUD INSTEAD OF WATER! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Now now Dav its all down to taste and I like Barrys Gold label. The green label ones were in the place when we moved in!!! and I hate them anyway. Tea leaves are good but a royal pain in ass ;) . As for coffee has to be Lilly (sp) expresso lovely stuff that.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i like the twinnings stuff.
    and i have to admit to liking earl grey. hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As I can never taste the difference, I tend to go with what ever one is giving something free away. Bewleys use to be good at that giving away mugs and vhs tapes.

But last time I bought teabags I was confronted with no free stuff so I decided to get something different and so bought Lyons pyramid teabags. I nearly died laughing looking at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Prefer tea leaves, but the best tea bags I've found so far are Lyons Kenya. Tesco's permium stuff isn't too bad either.

Originally posted by amp
    giving away mugs and vhs tapes
    Yeah, I've often wondered what was the deal behind that. i can see the point of the mugs, you put the tea in one to drink it, but the VHS tape? For stirring I suppose....

I nearly died laughing looking at them.

Heheh, I've seen a few people look quizzically at them and dismiss them as fancy 'Funk Shu-ee' type things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Used to drink Lyons, Loved Earl Gray etc.. alas i am no longer able to drink caffeine! No more black tea... im on the green tea now.. Chinese/Japanese.. its actually very nice.. like Earl Gray you usually drink it without milk... Anyway got a box of 50 bags in the Health Shop and im impressed.. tastes a little different to black tea but i think i prefer it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Bewleys tea i drink but im mostly a coffee man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by Saruman
    Used to drink Lyons, Loved Earl Gray etc.. alas i am no longer able to drink caffeine! No more black tea... im on the green tea now

But green tea also contains caffeine.

I tried herbal teas for a while which had no caffeine at all. I found a very nice orange-flavoured one. It had no real tea in it all but it was a very good substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Russian Earl Grey by Twinnings. It's Early grey with Orange and Lemon bits + violet flower it it. It's tea leaves and I haven't managed to find any over here, so I usually stock up when I go to France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Captain Picard drinks Earlgrey, it has to be good.

Advertisement