Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to sign up to sky - few questions (FTV card ect)

Options
  • 28-02-2002 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

After taking time to read posts about FTv cards I think I would be right to assume the following.

The best method to get all the UK channels is to buy a decoder and FTV card off ebay. Would I be right in presuming that I will not have to ring sky to activate if I buy ther decoder & FTV card from ebay?

I'm currently with NTL in Galway but am moving out to our new house in the country (no NTL). I was going to sign up to sky once we move. Can you request a dish with a dual/quad LNB when you sign up to sky (free decoder/dish if you pay installation).

Any other hints/advice before I sign up would be MUCH appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes get your FTV card and sky box from ebay. It will already be activated when you get it. No need to ring sky at all.

SKY dont supply quad LNBs yet.

Best bet is get sky to put in your free dish and box then get ebay box and card and get a quad LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

If you get a Digibox and FTV card from Ebay you will not have to ring Sky.

Not sure if you can request a dual/quad LNB during installation, it would depend on whether or not you a getting an independant installer or a Sky one. Go for the independant as they should be able to get you what you want.

By the way, you get the free dish/decoder when you pay for installation and subscribe for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Bond-James Bond & ShaneOC thanks for your replys.
    If I was to buy a dual/quad LNB is it difficult to fit ??
    Also is the position of your dish the same for the FTV channels as for the normal Irish channels. Thanks.

Easy to fit if you can get at the dish.

Same satellite so same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Has anyone who's gotten a digibox and FTV card on E-Bay tried to get S4C activated on it ?

If so, how do you go about it ?

Would you need to know the address in the UK that the box was registered at ? Or could you just make one up ? Or do they bother with those questions at all when they see that you already have an FTV card ?

• Advertisement

Not tried it.

S4C on digital is not the same as analogue S4C. The digital version is completely welsh. You do not get the time-shifted Channel 4 programmes that you get on analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Thanks Shane.

I know it's all Welsh language programmes, but I just wondered whether they go by where you're calling from (how would they know ?) or where your card is registered.

Is it Sky who activate S4C or do they do it themselves somehow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

I rang them for S4C and they just wanted the card number and a postcode. Just gave them a postcode in london.

I think they do the actibations themselves. The girl answer my call in welsh.

Advertisement