Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCI approves RTE and tv3 in principal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Excellent news!

In principle is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Well spotted Radar.

This is very good news indeed.

The really interesting part of this article is -

"The two Irish broadcasters will be available from April to all digital Sky subscribers on the island of Ireland as part of its Family Pack ...

....It is not clear whether TV3 has joined the Sky platform on the same commercial terms as RTE, which is reported to be free for an initial period."

All of a sudden TV3 are joining !! I wonder if this is fact or speculation on the part of the writer.

As we haven't had any word from TV3 or Sky, I'm assuming that TV3 are "future proofing" themselves, i.e. have the licence first and then negoiate with BSkyB.

I've sent TV3 an e-mail about it.

They're normally pretty quick to reply, so I'll post any info I get later.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Will wait till I see this in the mainstream media to make a fuller comment. But if this is correct, it will be the fastest contract the BCI has ever given out! By a long strech (TV3 took nine years, and even the average one takes about six months to a year). Two weeks from application to offer of contract...well done BCI. And accepting an unsolicited application too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

........and B&F are pretty accurate when it comes to reporting technology issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

excellent

This reply from TV3 -

"TV3 is in negotiations with Sky. However, no further information is available at present.
    Regards,
    TV3"

Tight-lipped as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Uncle Grueber

Dmeehan,
    I told you it would be good news for you. ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Uncle Grueber
    Dmeehan,
    I told you it would be good news for you. ;)

About feckin time too and all...
    but, it took a bit longer than you said uncle G

Hey,
    I said the end of the month, and I made it with a few hours to spare. ;)

ah well
    roll on april...

Uncle G, who do work for? rte, bci???
    or are just in the know

I couldn't possibly reveal my sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Well could you possibly reveal the proposed launch dates - beginning, middle or end of April??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IrishBear

Great NEWS,,,, hope it is not just another rumour.... as I am in Brussels and no other chance of getting RTE/TV3.:-) Roll on April....

By the way.... how come so many people have probs with reception and the boxes?
    I have a tiny plastic dish [about 30cm across] which sits on top of my stereo in the living room and faces the window... have no probs receiving Sky even with very very low signal quality....???
    I won't count my chickens but so far so good.....;-)

I'm not privvy to that information. All I've heard is the rather vague "very soon".

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This IS excellent news! I do hope TV3 is also gonna join up too as it would be in their better interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this is great news. i wonder what the chances of getting TARA back are now. i think it would be great for TARA to return in case people missed some programmes on RTÉ. it could act as RTÉ's version of BBC Choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

World Cup in stereo (actual decent stereo ).........
    Wonder if there is truth in th rumour RTE`s world cup games will be screened on Sky sports channels with an RTE logo in the corner ,but with Sky commentary and match presentation.
    Would explain why its free for RTE to join and the same for the Champions league with TV3 .
    hmmm i wonder

Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

TODAYS INDEPENDENT -Friday March 1st

""""TV3 is expected to join the Sky Digital platform in the near future after being granted preliminary permission by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI).

The way is also being cleared for RTE to go through its controversial deal to join the
    Sky Digital package.

A spokesperson for the Commission said that both RTE and TV3 had been granted permission 'in principle' to join the satellite carrier. Draft licences known as satellite content contracts will be sent out to both stations before the beginning of next week.

It is understood that TV3 will go into advanced negotiations with Sky once the contract is signed off and that will probably happen this month. TV3 confirmed that it had been given the go-ahead for such an arrangement 'in principle', while a
    spokesperson for Sky said that no deal had yet been done with TV3, although talks were ongoing.

RTE has been waiting for permission from BCI so RTE 1, Network 2 and TG4 can go live on Sky by the end of April.

The need for the contracts only emerged after RTE had done its surprise deal with Sky, under which the Irish station will appear on the platform free of charge for an initial period.

This requirement follows changes to broadcasting legislation in 2001 and RTE initially believed it did not need the Commission's permission.

Cable operators NTL and Chorus had objected to RTE's deal with Sky.
    Samantha McCaughren"""""
    NOW WHAT HAPPENS

<Moderator Edit: was in F1 thread, moved to on topic thread>

Something more specific there in that article..... Late April. Up until now, its just been April.

Now what happens?

We await the TESTS!!

is the uplink dish built yet..
    does anyone have a view onto montrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

The foundations are being excavated and constructed at the moment...

Advertisement