Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand car recommendations

Options
  • 26-02-2002 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

I wrote off the parent's car there at the weekend and we're going to have to buy another one of some description, I'm looking for any recommendations/ideas people might have, bear the following in mind please......

The car we had was a 1997 reg Opel Vectra, which served our purpose perfectly, I'm looking for a car that will do the job but for less money...

It's a second car, so it doesn't really need to have loads of extras or power or even look particularly good, just get me from A to B.

It has to be something reasonably sturdy and reliable, something that won't crumple into a ball at the slightest impact, the Vectra was excellent in this respect, rolled over completely and maintained it's shape, didn't cave in at all.

So, um, any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

ball park figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Somewhere below €7000 definately, lower than that is better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If you are looking for something like that at the moment then your best bet is look in the range of cars that Sales Reps normally have...

Vectra's, Mondeos, 406's, Focus...

The market is flooded with hundreds of these second hand that no one is buying as they are more than 2 -3 years old and the NCT is looming over them.. however most are in very good nick, reasonable mileage, have a nice few extra's as standard, are pretty good on juice and sit in the 1.6 - 1.8 ltr bracket for engine size so ok on insurance...

Have a look in the local newspaper... and try and get one from a dealer with a 6 - 12 month warranty which will give a good indication as to whether its in good nick or not as they are willing to back it...

I have a modeo myself, which does me nicely..

I got it for all the above reasons and it was dirt cheap.. only 2 years old and cost less than half what it was new, spare tyre was never used and had low mileage all because there are hundreds of them in Ford dealer forecourts all over the place that cant be sold... also, parts are cheap, so when something happens due to age ot wear and tear I can replace it cheap enough...

If you are looking for something thats solid and able to take a few knocks, go for a 406 or Vectra...

or the ould WWII Sherman tank... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You want my 1.1 fiat punto(yes I've still got it). €3,300

Damn strong - it wrote off an 88 micra with only some minor body damage to itself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

cant go wrong with the buy and sell, make sure ya get it checked out first though
    |||RENAULT MEGANE|||\RENAULT MEGANE '97, IN MINT COND, GENUINE REASON FOR SALE, €5,700. 087-2304714

ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!!! OPEL VECTRA 1.6 '97, PETROL, MET PAINT, 16V, 60K MLS, E/W, S/R, NCT, 1 OWNER, €5,600 ONO. 086-2749894 & 0405-49331
    Conn and Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Odian
    cant go wrong with the buy and sell, make sure ya get it checked out first though

You got that right... best place to look for private sales of second hand cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If insurance is'nt an issue(!) get a big French car, you can pick up something like a '95 Citroen XM or Pug 605 for silly money.
    Luxury and a very smooth ride for a few grand.

Mike.

Advertisement