Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Per View Rip Off

Options
  • 26-02-2002 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with Sky Digital?
    Box office movies are at least a year old. There is nooooo
    way they are worth 5.50 Euros.
    A cinema ticket in Limerick costs 4.50 euros and you feel you are getting reasonable value for money.
    But Castaway, Hannibal, Chocolat and similar movies were news
    like 18 months ago.

Also F1 weekend for 22 euros and Premiership plus for 16 euros
    a match is just a rip off. People should just step back and realise
    that Sky are charging too much for their services.
    Premiership Plus is just paying the inflated wages of Keane, Beckham,
    Ferdinand, Kewell, Owen etc. The top players ask for more money so Sky introduce PPV as a means to do it.

I subscribe to the Family Pack and Film 4 (Brilliant Package)
    and I feel that although it is not perfect, Both packages give me a reasonable choice. There is alwas something worth watching on Film 4 at night between their 3 channels.

Sky would want to get a grip and do a reality check on themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think you will find that there is a very low buy rate for Box office PPV. It caters for a niche market. Those that are too lazy to go to the video shop!

my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I hate to sound like I'm sticking up for Sky (God forbid !!), but I will say that if you pay for a PPV movie, there's no limit to the number of people who can sit down and watch it with you (dependent on the size of your living room, I guess).

Say there are five people, it's still 5.50 Euro as opposed to 22.50 Euro (are my sums right ?).

Plus you don't have to travel to the cinema.

Plus I hear the popcorn in your house is much cheaper.

Having said all that, I've never bought a PPV movie. I much prefer seeing them on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

But movies like Castaway, Hannibal, Chocolat etc are probably in the ex-rental basket of the video shop at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

They are there as an option, an added feature.

You are not obliged to get them or subscribe to them. They dont bother me in the slightest, as I only have a passing interest in movies, F1, and 1 live game each Sunday does me for soccer. As long as I could hear the PPV game on 5 Live, it wouldn't cost me a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Where are cinema tickets 4.50? Last time I was in Limerick, they were over 5 pounds for an evening show! In Cork, they are over 7 euros now.

Anyhow, this is something that is determined by market forces. Personally I don't use PPV or videos, prefering the cimema, however you do have the choice.

Remember the "law of diminishing returns"? As a vendor of a product you keep increasing the price until revenue starts to fall off because people buy less.

So rent videos/DVDs and put the pressure on Sky!

Ix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 winsock

SKY DIGITAL IS **** !!!!
    Best what you can have it is:

1.2m dish
    Echostar 3000 receiver with two modules
    and pirate cards for waching chanells for free.

so its about 800chanells for free :)

and price of tshis system about 1300 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by winsock

price of tshis system about 1300 Euro.

Helluva price to pay to get something for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're the same Winsock who has another post looking for help, on how to find a satellite?

At least the Sky installer will point your disk in the correct direction;) I will have the complete Sky package for two complete years for less than the cost of your pirate system.

At that point, the technology will probably have changed, and I can throw away my old Sky HW, and sign up for the next deal
    :)

Well I am not into German , French or Italian
    channels. In Ireland, if we want English language
    Satellite broadcasting, Sky Digital unfortunatly is the direction we have to go.
    Sky PPV is the topic here and unfortunately people are being taken for mugs by purchasing any of this trash.

Cast you mind back ten years.
    You used to get at least 2 live Division 1 matches a week for free.
    Saturday on RTE1, Sunday on ITV. Recent (at the time) movies were being shown regularly on the Networks.
    What has changed? In a word SKY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

PPV Movies - Wouldnt dream of ever watching one.

F1 PPV - waste of time and money.

Premiership PPV - 70 quid for the season ticket for 40 odd games is pretty good to be honest and I got one of those as I watch a lot of football.

I/m pretty surprosed that they aren't offerring a season ticket for the F! as there wont be too many people paying the amount they are asking for the individual GPs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I personally do not get any PPV events or films on Sky but I will probably get the season ticket for next years premiership. Carrolls I think you are taking it very personally, if you do not agree with it just don't pay for it. Otherwise I think Sky Digital is money well spent.

Well Waylander, I am just entertaining and conveying an observation. I have nothing personal against Rupert or Sky for that matter.
    I just think as a product on Sky, PPV sucks to high heaven. Its like going to Brown Thomas to buy a pair of socks.
    People do it, but it doesn't make it right or proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think it's unanimous. We all agree that PPV sucks. Surely the newly appointed head of Sky Ireland will also realise this, and try to remedy the situation. Otherwise, there is little point in offering the service in Ireland, if it has no take-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

well obviously there is some take up. also i dont think it would cost them any extra to make it available here, so why not?

(i still think its a rip off though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by winsock
    SKY DIGITAL IS **** !!!!
    Best what you can have it is:

1.2m dish
    Echostar 3000 receiver with two modules
    and pirate cards for waching chanells for free.

and price of tshis system about 1300 Euro.

Why dont you tell us all about encryption changes that are happening now, like Irdeto2/SECA2 etc ect, and now many of those have been cracked?

I will say it again, buying a satellite system now is a waste of money, my box went up in smoke and im not going to replace it soon as its pointless and even at the hight of its worth it was only good for watching the odd football match and a list of pr0n channels.

Sky is the best option period, piracy sux and i wont be repeating it soon.

Originally posted by Chernobyl:
    Sky is the best option period, piracy sux and i wont be repeating it soon.
    Cool:cool:
    Yeap,We only get those awfull old offerings on Box office because,it costs no more for us to have them and theres always some who will pay.Xtravision is only down the road from me and close to myFavourite Thai take away:)-so no ppv for me.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

well i have to say that i use box office. because where i live there is no xtravision. just a local vidoe store with one copy of each new release. so i stopped renting and now i buy the decent ones on box office.
    i like to see the price come down a bit. i have a season tickect for the football since we paying for them all anyway.

i will be buying the f1 to see what it like when i can watch it be myself. but with competiton from from other family members i wont be able to buy them all.

Kevin,
    I know its your perogative and your money to do whatever you want with, but you are paying many times over the odds for what you are getting on Sky Box Office.
    The same applies to pay per view football.

I have sometimes been tempted to buy a PPV football match.
    But then I stood back and thaught to myself, you are literally putting your hard earned money into David Beckham's (Or any premiership player's) pocket, money that they certainly do not deserve.

'There are two born every minute, just in case one dies.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by carrolls
    Also F1 weekend for 22 euros and Premiership plus for 16 euros
    a match

it is €19.60 for the Formula 1 i think but your comment on Premiership+ interests me. how much is it in the UK?. £8 stg.
    will £8 stg get you €16?
    is that a correct conversion or are we being ripped off with Premiership+ ? i don't get any PPV games but i know a few that do

You are partially right. The Prices are
    Grand Prix Weekend E19.60

Premiership+ PPV match £14.00 Sterling which is E18.00

Although if you have already subscribed to Sky Sports its E10.25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Kevin,
    I know its your perogative and your money to do whatever you want with, but you are paying many times over the odds for what you are getting on Sky Box Office.
    The same applies to pay per view football.

Paying over the odds compared to what exactly? Thers is no choice so you cannot be paying over the odds. It's not like you can get a similar service for any cheaper from anyone else if you want to watch premiership football or big boxing fights.

If you are prepared to pay for the PPV games then that is your perogative as you say. However you are not paying over the odds at all for what you get..you are getting exactly what you pay for..a service offered by Sky...as a certain company says in their ads...it does exactly what it says on the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ONireland

I hate the way on satellite you need a card for just about everything.

At least with Digital Terrestrial and Cable there is a thing called Free To Air (or wire I suppose with cable :D ).

Originally posted by Ludo

Paying over the odds compared to what exactly? Thers is no choice so you cannot be paying over the odds.

Not exactly true, any Sky PPV game is usually being broadcasted to central europe by some provider, and generally and a seriously reduced price or none at all if the match is on the sports package.

Sky PPV from tonight and the competition.
    Wednesday 27th February

ARSENAL v LEVERKUSEN
    Champions League
    (ITV1 Regions - 7:45pm)
    (CL Spiel - 7:45pm)
    (NED 2 - 7:45pm)
    (TV3 Norway - 7:45pm)
    (TV3 Sweden - 7:45pm)

Thursday 28th February

LEEDS UNITED v PSV
    UEFA Cup 4th Round - 2nd Leg
    (Sky Sports - 8:00pm)

Saturday 2nd March

FULHAM v LIVERPOOL
    Premier League
    (Tele+ Nero - 3:00pm)
    (Canal+ Norway - 3:00pm)
    (Canal+ Blauw - 3:00pm)

BURNLEY v NORWICH
    Nationwide League 1st Division
    (NRK1 - 3:00pm)

NEWCASTLE UNITED v Premier League
    (Premiership Plus - 5:35pm)

Sunday 3rd March

DUNDEE UNITED v RANGERS
    Scottish Premier League
    (BBC 1 Scotland - 2:00pm)

DERBY COUNTY v MANCHESTER UNITED
    Premier League
    (Sky Sports 1 - 4:00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

it is €19.60 for the Formula 1 i think but your comment on Premiership+ interests me. how much is it in the UK?. £8 stg.
    will £8 stg get you €16?
    is that a correct conversion or are we being ripped off with Premiership+ ? i don't get any PPV games but i know a few that do

At the current rate, stg£8 is €13.11, and €16 is stg£9.76, so yes we are being ripped off. :-/

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Glenn

I think its shameful, the way people are duped into paying Sky
    to watch a game of football on the box.

You think that you are in control, but it is actually Sky's Slot Machine that is in control.
    It is a mental illness much like gambling.

You probably say to yourself
    "Ah well it is only 14 euros, what the hell, lets go for it, lets watch soccer".
    But its a well oiled con trick when you think about it.
    They make it so easy to order on credit card that you are almost willed to do it.

I for one will not be paying David Beckhams wages (£80,000 per week) for the forseeable future. (Unless I win the lotto)

I for one will not be paying David Beckhams wages (£80,000 per week) for the forseeable future. (Unless I win the lotto)

Why do you keep hammering at this exact reason, its pretty poor.
    Beckams wages are surely paid via Manu Gate fees, corp boxes and merchandise, as the PFA were recently forced to redistribute all the royalties of TV coverage i doubt it pays much of his wages.

/on a side note..DB may get 80K a week, but if he did not get it, someone certainly would, he plays the game pretty well, why should he not get it?

TV revenue for Man Utd was £33 Million last season.
    Gate reciepts were £60 Million
    Sponsership was £20 million
    Therefore TV revenue was 30%.

So Chernobyl, TV revenue does go a long way towards paying
    Daves wages.

If you want to watch football at a cheaper rate then read some of the other posts that have been made in this forum which are very descriptive on how to do so, else quit biatching about Sky's PPV prices which will always be what they are..expensive, Sky are just explioting a willing market.

The gospel according to Chernobyl

May Sky be with you, and also with you.

Please open page 3 of the Sky manual and chant
    Sky is love, love is Sky.

Amen

• Advertisement

Carrolls,
    roflol:D :D:D
    Theres a lot of people saying that prayer-theres been mass hypnosis-the aliens have been-we're not one of them yet-
    It's that green light that has the power I tell ya:D
    keep away..
    keep away..............................
    Aaaaggggghhhhhh...........
    mm

Advertisement