Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE-F1 and Sky-F1 what happens

Options
  • 26-02-2002 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

With all these issues of broadcast rights and various channels being blocked whats going to happen later this year if/when RTE get on the Irish EPG and there's a Grand Prix occuring...

RTE have Irish rights and are FREE
    Sky have satellite rights and is PPV

Will RTE block their own uplink transmission of the race as they don't have rights or will Sky because they do or what?:confused:

jeez this is never ending, seems we could end up with an EPG like a zebra crossing :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are ITV going to show any of the races this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Of course they are.

ITV have the terrestrial rights in the UK to F1. What some folk are worried about is that with Sky having the digital interactive rights to F1, that if ITV (or later, when RTE) show F1, that it could be blocked on Sky Digital.

I say it wont....

There is a difference to the package ITV & RTE have, compared with BSkyB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks DamoDMC. I was worrried for a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

rte and itv will have exactly the same coverage, except that they will each have their own commentators.

and i suppose the terrestial output will be one of the "channels" on the sky ppv package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The standard F1 coverage can be broadcasted live by anyone and by any means, its FTA and it will remain so, but when F1 splits in 2005/6 into 2 series i dunno what will happen but thats not the issue here.

Its the interative coverage that ppl are not allowed to retransmit, not even that super channel which is essentailly what ITV/RTE provide, just without any add breaks...yeh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

its not set in stone that f1 will split in two
    especially now that kirch has put its stake in slec up for sale..
    fiat, mercedes et al have expressed interest, as has bernie eccelstone

even if it did split in two, the major manufacturers will want to keep it fta as it gives their sport a larger coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Are ITV going to show any of the races this year?

Definately.. but whats the point in watching without Murray Walker? *sob sob*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Damon Hill to host Sky's F1 coverage.

Full report here -

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,659092,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

/cringes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it turns out that ITV will not be broadcasting Formula 1 on Sky at all. i hope RTÉ sort out their rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

according to UK forums, ITV coverage isn't available and viewers are advised to switch to their analogue ITV!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

They're all in the same boat as the lot of us then!

Fizzle! Crack! No, thats not Coulthard's engine blowing, its the sound of ITV blanking the screens on Sunday morning! :p:p

Advertisement