Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Digital Text: Ratio Problems?

Options
  • 25-02-2002 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that over the last few days, when BBC digital text is selected, the picture compresses slightly, as if the widescreen ration has been adjusted? When exiting digital text, the picture jumps back to it's normal size.

This is only when 'latest' is being accessed, and the full-screen picture stays on in the background.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my digibox is set to letterbox mode and when i go to BBC Text the picture changes to 16:9 when it is loading. it used to never do it. anyone know why? it is not that its annoying, i am curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ronanf

Noticed similar. I have a 4:3 TV so have set up the digibox for letterbox on w/s channels.

Anyhoo when I go to BBC text the picture stretches to take up the whole screen, everyone on TV getting much thinner!

Odd considering that the text menu used to fit nicely in the bottom black strip of letterbox mode. Dunno why this was changes or if it is even deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i noticed that too..
    everyone on eastenders had really long faces...

more so than usual ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I think by accessing the digital text you are disrupting the signal which tells the digibox to compress or crop the picture, so widescreen programs are shown in their native anamorphic format. If that makes any sense to you whatever.

Anyway, is it just me or does anyone else think that the digital text sucks? Besides the video streams, it offers a lot less than Ceefax did (or does if you have analogue), and I find it hard to find the info that you want. I really don't see why they can't keep the Ceefax on digital, after all it can't take up much bandwidth, and it's not really a matter of updating it, as they have to do it for analogue anyway.

Let's start a campaign for Ceefax on digital ;-)

Glenn

Advertisement