Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software testing.

Options
  • 24-02-2002 8:36pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How many software testing/QA people read this forum?

How often does security figure in your testing plans, and how do you test for security? Good testers appear to be a rare breed, but I'm sure there's some method to it ;) Seriously, resources, comments, pointers or any general discussion on security testing would be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i work in software integration into a live network enviorment
    does that count?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Yes, you may now read the second paragraph of my post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by ecksor
    How often does security figure in your testing plans, and how do you test for security? Good testers appear to be a rare breed, but I'm sure there's some method to it ;) Seriously, resources, comments, pointers or any general discussion on security testing would be welcome.

we use 3 differnet levels of testing
    function
    system
    network integration (i do this)

i terms of testing security we check that you can only have real values and check password length etc.
    just generally good sysadmin stuff
    keep up to date with patchs
    verify access permissions
    proper passwords
    stuff like that

more as i think of it*

MiCr0

* this may get completely re-written when i'm more awake

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Not 100% relevant to testing, but here ya go anyway.

This /. article mentions this presentation on secure programming and Open BSD.

Wheelers presentation is here.

Al.

[edit]Fix url[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I am in testing and have been for almost 5 years. I have done all types from manual to automated / stress / load etc. In the 5 or so companies I have worked for I have seen two scenarios with regard to security:

1) One company had their own risk management department who examined all software produced for security problems, this was due to the sensitivity of the data.

2) Most places this is overlooked unless you have good testers who take initiative (seeing as you asked I am guessing you are one of them). In a nutshell good testers should raise sec. issues where they see them although this is somewhat dependant upon whether or not the person has more than just a passing interesting in security (.ie know what to look for / try)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I do security QA, but mainly by code review, and I'm usually successful in finding vulnerabilities and other bugs in the code I'm given to review. I'm essentially investigating testing techniques to figure out if there are scenarios where they can give extra assurance, of where they can help me satisfy other constraints (I wish I was better at finding vulnerabilities in applications I don't have source for, for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I've been doing QA for the last year or so.

We usually don't have access to any source for products but are in contact with the Dev teams.

There's a method used for all QA work including security.

Each product will have a Design requirements Document a Product Requirement Document and several other documents. Each area or feature within that product then has it's own set of documentation detailing how each "feature" should operate and the error conditions and routines which have been established.

We then run through the test cases for each feature of the client, stepping through each area until all requirements and features have been satisfied logging bugs as we go.

After you have finished with the test cases you progress to Ad Hoc testing for as long as resources allows. Ad Hoc testing has ranged from simple checks on the client to sniffing and packet analysis for each packet sent and received on a bank of control pcs.

If the documentation isn't written up it can be quite difficult to find bugs in a client with no access to source but IMHO familiarity with a piece of software will go a long way in helping find out it's pitfalls.

We try to install all software we test onto our personal work PCs aswell as our test PCs and I find often you find bugs through every day use of the software outside of test cases etc...

.logic.

Advertisement