Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want a new car....

Options
  • 23-02-2002 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

but I am unsure what to get.

I'll pay up to €20k, but it has to be no more than 1.6 for insurance reasons. I'm considering a new Corolla because I think it is a decent looking car, reliability shouldn't be a problem, and it will hold the value well. The new Fiat Stilo has a lot of gadgets that would keep me occupied for a while too though, and the Alfa 147 is just great looking. However, things take a turn for the worse when I look at the insurance quotes. I can get insurance on a 97 BMW 316 or an Audi A4 for less than any of the above.

The sensible option would be probably to go for the Corolla or the BMW, but who needs sensibility? I could get a Focus, but there's just too many of them around. I don't necessarily need anything practical either, but an MX5 won't go down well with insurance etc. I think you know what I'm getting at...I want to move up in the motoring world as far as I can without being completely ****ed by insurance. Just give me some suggestions, either about a new or a used car. Thanks...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

What about an Audi A3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Seat Leon 1.8VT Cupra? It's a lot of car for the money and has good reliability. Could be a touch hard for insurance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

if your going for a bmw, pick up a 318 td.. theyll last forever, 96-98 models are damn cheap at the mo (€9-12000), and the fuel economy aint too bad it being a diesel, usually high specced as well, unlike the 316s you mentioned... insurance should be similar as the 316 as well, again down to it being a diesel.

all depends on what your tastes are, your needs (used for work? heavy traffic? motorways?) and your driving style. plus you dont mention your previous car. that might help here to see what exactly "moving up" entails :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

A new 02 VW Bora would hit ure mark of €20k on the nail for the 1.4 trendline version,then again ya could go for the 1.9 tdi Golf,lovely car

If ya want to save a bit of those many €€€ you could always go for a new Seat Toledo 1.6,the money ay save on it could go againt the insurance

Hav a glance at buyandsell.net,saw a nice 00 Alfa 165 1.6 €19

For the money you have to spend i would not go for anything less the a 00 reg,

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Samson - I've looked at an A3 before, to be honest I think it's a lot of money for not a lot of car. I'd get a Golf before I'd get one of those.

Blitzkrieger - ha good suggestion, insurance ****s that one up though

Kali - thanks, I might just check some of those out

Odian - thanks for the suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

buy an mx-5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

buy a 4th generation honda prelude :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Why would anyone spend less that 40G on a BMW or even a Mercedes, anything below that does not qualify as a real BMW, they are cheaply made just so your average peep can say they have a BMW and they look terrible perform even worse and are a complete joke.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Why would anyone spend less that 40G on a BMW or even a Mercedes, anything below that does not qualify as a real BMW, they are cheaply made just so your average peep can say they have a BMW and they look terrible perform even worse and are a complete joke.

Because in 2 years the 40k will be worth 20k. Do they perform worse then? Nope....

As for the other 2 clowns!....

ya goin for a golf?

• Advertisement

There are real Beamers and there are "knock offs".
    Let me show you, you will be convinced i am sure.

Example A: This is a heap of junk, aka a "3 series" BMW and what an ugly little fecker it is, only for scrap i think.

325iSedan.gif

Now no more of that..lets see what real BMW's are...

The 2002 M coupe
    MCoupe.gif

The 2002 M5

M3Coupe.gif

Which would you prefer to drive?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

The 2002 M5

That's an M3 coupe, not an M5.....

Plus neither of the cars you mentioned is available in automatic/steptronic.... which my next car will have.. why should i do something that the car can do (better) for me?

I was looking at a 01 330i last week... nice leather, Mkit, auto, etc... are you telling me that 231bhp is pants in a car that I can also put my kid(s) in because it has 4 doors?

wow thats an incredible amount of ignorance there chernobyl.
    maybe you were born with a 2002 silver spoon lodged up your ass, but the rest of us weren't.

Originally posted by Licksy20

That's an M3 coupe, not an M5.....

So i made a typing error, jee wiz, thanks for correcting me.

Originally posted by Kali

wow thats an incredible amount of ignorance there chernobyl.
    maybe you were born with a 2002 silver spoon lodged up your ass, but the rest of us weren't.

My points are valid Kali, have you ever driven an "affordable" class BMW/Mercedes and a more up market counter part?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I certainly hope that a car thats worth 40k drives and performs better than one for 20k... what would the point of buying a car for that price if one for half that was a better drive...

As for smaller BMW's and Merc's being crap.. well I have to disagree... sure there are twats out there who drive them for the sake of being able to say they have one... but not everyone one who drives one is like that...

I know a few people who drive them as

* they've always wanted one
    * because they just like the feel of the car
    * they are a good investment as they hold their value
    * they can hold the road fairly well and are safe to drive
    * the 2.4 kids can fit in the back comfortably...

not because they want to go tearing down the road at 100mph posing...

I know if some of these people had the money to buy that M-Coupe for 70K then I guarantee you they wouldnt bother, they'd go for something like a BMW 7 Series, S Class Merc, Lexus or an Audi A8... they just might not want a performance car.

Personally if I had 70K to spend on a car, I'd probably buy a 7 Series BMW... pure luxury with a touch of class... cant beat it..

:D:D:D:D:D

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    Personally if I had 70K to spend on a car, I'd probably buy a 7 Series BMW... pure luxury with a touch of class... cant beat it..

:D:D:D:D:D

Get outta here m8 :), the 7 series is nothing but a bus..or a shiny one, an S class Mercedes is nice but when spending that much money a performance machine is much bettter.

your point is valid? lets see.. what would your mercedes example be?

"the c-classes are all cheap pieces of crap.. what you want is to remortgage your house on an amg SL55 or SL60.. as
    everything else performs and looks like a retarded slug"

all very well.. but i believe nerb was looking at a limit of €20k?
    any bmw/mercedes less than 40 thousand is cheaply made.

afaik the M3 is made in the exact same factory as any other 3-Series. Also for the M3, you get the same extras as in the 325i.
    also doesn't the M3 have the exact same chassis as the 323ci?
    bar the compact, the standard 3-series (even down to the 318) are damn fine cars to drive.

I'm not at all putting the M3 down, i think its a bloody damn fine machine (for the record if i was buying a <€60k performance car itd be a impreza wrx sti or a noble m12 gto (dont know irish retail price, itd be too scary)), you just need to be a it more realistic...

a) If all bmws/mercedes under €40 were cheaply made they wouldn't have the reputation they have as solid and reliable machines... nor would a BMW style reputation be the envy and goal of every other quality saloon manufacturer (audi/vw/toyota with lexus).
    b) No-one in this thread is thinking about buying an M-Coupe.
    c) I've been in the most expensive bmw you can buy, the Z8... its absolutely horrible.

everything else ToxicPaddy there touched on... no need to repeat it.
    Get outta here m8 , the 7 series is nothing but a bus..or a shiny one, an S class Mercedes is nice but when spending that much money a performance machine is much bettter.

why? backup your points :)
    although i agree with you on that one, i absolutely detest large exec cars (5/7 series, E/S class, A6/A8), theres only ever one person driving them, yet they have all this wasted space.. half the people who drive them don't know what all the buttons do (2002 7-series prime example!).. complete status symbols of golf and briefcases... (both of which you can fit in a 911)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 danbert

BUY A BIKE!!!!!!

The S-Class Mercedes although big is a very nice car and has most extras included which with Mercedes you usually have to order, infact you could easily turn a C class merc into a 40K+ machine with extras.

If i was buying a car like any of these (which im not) i think it would have to be a customised TVR Cebera.

A little like this..

894.jpg

My boss/brother has an 99 A8 that he got 2nd hand in 00.... it has all the gear and more from the S8 like 18" wheels, aluminium mirrors, ski hatch, solar sunroof etc etc etc...
    It's a 4.2 quattro, 300 bhp... incredibly comfortable & incredibly fast. It's also possible to put his whole family in there at the same time in comfort... say if he wanted to drive to France on holiday or whatever....

The concept of having this type of car escapes some people... like chernobyl saying
    ...when spending that much money a performance machine is much bettter.
    Sure a 911 turbo/ Mcoupe has performance out its arse but for a lot of people, unless they have one as well as their regular car, then a luxury saloon (with lots of performance) is the preferable option....
    Horses for courses...

By the way, I didn't buy the 330i.... the repayments would have been in the €900/month region and instead I am buying an appartment!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Get outta here m8 :), the 7 series is nothing but a bus..or a shiny one, an S class Mercedes is nice but when spending that much
    money a performance machine is much bettter.

I was merely expressing an opinion about what I'd spend 70K on it I had it...

If I have more i'd got for the Merc CL500 or CL600 but they are retailing at IR£140k.. not £70k

I prefer to go for comfort more so than speed.. and especially with the roads we have here in Ireland getting an beautiful car like a 911, a TVR or an Aston Martin would be such as waste as they would be wrecked in no time...

So a big bus of a thing with all the comforts that one needs for long tedious journeys over bad roads in miserable weather and terrible driving conditions is the choice I would make...

Granted if I was living on the continent where there are proper motorways and autobahns then a 911, a TVR or an Aston Martin DB8 would be the type car I would have no hestitation in purchasing...

Tox..

I agree that a quick car and our roads are not exactly compliant but neither is any car..maybe a hummer?

But if you are going to spend big then make a statement, cars like Ferrair/Lambourgini and now BMW and Mercedes are so passe, anyways if you had the cash to splash you would prolly want to live on the continent anyways?

blah blah blah if I had 40k to spend on a performance car, it would not be a BMW or a Merc, that's for sure. And since I don't own my own insurance company, thanks for nothing. I started this to get some suggestions, which fit my criteria (which you've obviously ignored in a lame attempt to boast). Anyway, chernobyl, get back to the real world and your Nissan Micra with pHaT wheels and pimpin tinted windows.

Originally posted by NeRb666
    Anyway, chernobyl, get back to the real world and your Nissan Micra with pHaT wheels and pimpin tinted windows.

right.
    :/

chernobyl im sorry to say this but you are talking complete ****€ here

example
    If i was buying a car like any of these (which im not) i think it would have to be a customised TVR Cebera.

There is already a thread goin about this,Keep to Point

example
    Get outta here m8 , the 7 series is nothing but a bus..or a shiny one, an S class Mercedes is nice but when spending that much money a performance machine is much bettter.

Dont be stupid,people are always goin to buy a car that is the best for them,their style and their pockets(big deep pockets at that).Whats the point in a rich multi-millonoire driving his kids around to school in a Z8!

Think before ya type!

Originally posted by Odian
    Whats the point in a rich multi-millonoire driving his kids around to school in a Z8!

Any that i know have someone else drive them to school.

I only know poor multi-millionaires... the rich ones just don’t frequent my neighbourhood…

Originally posted by NeRb666
    but I am unsure what to get.

I'll pay up to €20k, but it has to be no more than 1.6 for insurance reasons. I'm considering a new Corolla because I think it is a decent looking car, reliability shouldn't be a problem, and it will hold the value well. The new Fiat Stilo has a lot of gadgets that would keep me occupied for a while too though, and the Alfa 147 is just great looking. However, things take a turn for the worse when I look at the insurance quotes. I can get insurance on a 97 BMW 316 or an Audi A4 for less than any of the above.

The sensible option would be probably to go for the Corolla or the BMW, but who needs sensibility? I could get a Focus, but there's just too many of them around. I don't necessarily need anything practical either, but an MX5 won't go down well with insurance etc. I think you know what I'm getting at...I want to move up in the motoring world as far as I can without being completely ****ed by insurance. Just give me some suggestions, either about a new or a used car. Thanks...

Getting back to the original thread topic...

NeRb666.. you've set the price at €20K
    1.6 petrol or something similar in Diesel...

what are you looking for in a car..??
    Do you need a 3 door, 4 door, 5 door, estate...

What do you drive at the moment..??

Look at what you need before what you want...

The Corolla's are nice cars... basically something like a Toyota, VW or Audi (A3, A4) always have a good trade in value.. so if you are buying new then one of these is a good start.. All are very reliable although I'd go for a diesel in the VW or Audi if you want good mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy a Skoda Octavia. Problem solved!

Mike.

• Advertisement

aye have to agree the octavias a grand car for the price (2002 models start at about €18k!), really nice inside, and im told decent enough to drive (i haven't had the pleasure) from someone who has moved to one from a vw passat... avoid the 1.4 though, apparently the engine isn't up to much reliability wise and its a bit lifeless on the road (iirc from an old auto express mag), the 1.6 is the one to go for, rough guess on a 2000 model with extras would be €10k?

Advertisement