Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCI and EPG

Options
  • 22-02-2002 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

In another thread Ronan said that BCI is responsible for programmes and EPG's. Now I realise that Sky are not answerable to any of the Irish authorities but maybe they could be asked nicely to do a bit of an EPG reshuffle.

Here's one I made earlier

New # Channel Name

101 RTE 1
    102 Network 2
    103 TV 3
    104 TG 4
    105 BBC 1 NI
    106 BBC 2 NI
    107 UTV
    108 Channel 4
    109 Channel 5
    111 Sky 1
    114 UK Gold
    115 UK Gold 2
    116 UK Style
    117 UK Food
    118 UK Drama
    119 Play UK
    120 BBC 3
    121 BBC 4
    123 ITV 2
    126 E4
    129 Granada Plus
    130 Granada Breeze
    131 Granada Men & Motors
    134 Living TV
    137 Challenge TV
    140 Bravo
    143 Paramount Comedy
    146 Sci-Fi
    149 Discovery Home & Leisure
    150 Home & Leisure +1
    153 Tara
    156 Hallmark
    159 Sky Travel
    162 Travel Channel
    165 Channel Health
    168 Discovery Health
    171 Artsworld (encrypted)
    174 Life TV
    177 Showcase
    180 Fashion TV
    183 Game Network

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 potoole

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

dont hold your breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

You can have that, it just depends on your skills or the money you are willing to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am curious as to how this would be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The EPG stored on the STB is not encrypted, a memory dump and some reverse engineering to organise it as you please.
    Although i make it sound easy, its far from it, but its one method the other is buy a pro videoguard system with a built in customisable EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Shane,

That is how I would (more or less) love to see our EPG. Don't think it will happen that way, though. The placement of BBC1 and 2 NI - the closest approximation of any 'native' broadacsting for ROI viewers is located way down the EPG as it stands (I think they appear on the third screen), clearly indicates the position Sky want and can have.

While RTE and the other Irish channels may get places sub-106, I am not confident of any other re-shuffle to re-organise ITV, C4 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Phelim 3:16

I think I remember reading that RTE will have prime positioning on the Irish EPG (101 and 102 I think) Apparently it was part of the deal they did with sky. RTE certainly did manage to get a sweet deal if they can manage to actually get on the EPG!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    In another thread Ronan said that BCI is responsible for programmes and EPG's. Now I realise that Sky are not answerable to any of the Irish authorities but maybe they could be asked nicely to do a bit of an EPG reshuffle.

The law isn't clear, but I imagine SkyGuide would not be covered by the Broadcasting Act 2001 as its' not a service originating within the state. Even when RTE appears on it, it will be placed on SkyGuide by operaters in Iselworth, not Dublin. RTE however are supplying their service from within the state and are themselves apparently covered by the BCI.

The provisions regarding EPGs however do throw up some problems for NTL and Chorus, as technically they should have licences to provide their EPGs. The BCI will no doubt eventually get round to it, but the licencing of the South East Regional service and the reallocation of the first four ILR contracts (98FM, FM104, LMFM and East Coast if I remember correctly) are its current priorities.

Advertisement