Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up 2nd BOx with ftv card

Options
  • 21-02-2002 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    relatily new ot this but think I have a hadle on it,
    As you are all no doubt aware SKY\ITV pulled the plug on us!! so I went out and got a UK box with a FTA card, but now I find
    myself in need of a little advice and so have a few questions.:confused:

1. when setting up my new box do I require a new Dual LNB?
    2. if so, are they difficult to fit? and what sould I expect to pay?
    3. is in not sufficient to split the cable ?
    4. will my subscribion card work in my new box?
    5. What new channels will I get
    6 and finally, a little of the topic is there an list of all channel freqs anywhere, I think Ive found them all but Id hate to feel I was missing out on any freebies

Thanks for the Help, Ill be away for a couple of weeks but this is the forst thing Ill be checking when I get back.

Redzer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

1. Several options - you can switch the cable between boxes every time you want to use the other box (time-consuming).
    Or you can get a seperate dish (planning laws ?).
    Or you can get a dual lnb (good solution).
    Or you can get a "quattro" lnb (it's got four feeds, so it would be very useful if you ever get one of the new recording digiboxes, which needs two feeds for itself).

2. No idea how difficult they are to fit. Contact your local satellite dealer for a professional job and an idea of prices.

3. No, it's not sufficient to split the cable.

4. Your card is linked to your old box and won't work in the new one.

5. ITV1, Channel4, Channel5, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News 24, BBC Knowledge (soon to be BBC4), BBC Choice, and any free to air channels (ie Sky News, TCM, shopping channels etc.)

6. Try http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

I had one installed in October, therefore here's the details.

1. A dual Lnb will be required, but if thinking about upgrading to SKY+ at some point in the future go for a quad.
    2. Any independent installer will do it for you. They simply remove your existing lnb and install the new one. A cable will be run from the second connecting point on the LNB to the house, so plan in advance as the second box is ideal in another room for a second TV.
    3. Cost me £100 for installation, but I shopped around. Highest quote was £250 which was robbery!!
    4. Your UK card will work in your existing digibox, but you will not get the BBC channels. You can receive Channel 4, 5, ITV etc
    5. Your existing card will work in the new box, but only for the non-premium channels. Sports and movies will be blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Where did you get the twin LNB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

I may have mentioned this in another post. The independent installer arrived with it, and suddenly realised that the LNB holder would not fit the arm as there are two types of arm to holder connection.

Simple solution. He removed the old LNB and holder. Cut the end out of the holder, put the new LNB into it and then applied layers upon layers of masking tape.

I've never had a bit of trouble and he didn't even charge me for the roll of masking tape, works fine !!!

Advertisement