Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATELLITE BOX in IRELAND

Options
  • 19-02-2002 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Newbie here but have read most of the threads and i want to enquire about the following.

I recently purchased Sky Digital (with sky world), the whole idea was to get rid of Chorus but since UTV is currently not available on SKY I have to hold on to chorus as well which I don't want to. I originally wanted two Sky boxes to that I could watch and tape two different channells etc but this option is not available in ROI yet. Now my question is this, is it possible to buy a Digital box somewhere else like e-bay and purchase a BBC viewing card so that I will be able to have BBC1,BBC2 and UTV on this box, with the hope of upgrading and buying another card at a later date to receive SKY world package ( when the whole UTV issue is sorted out and Ireland receives the option to have 2 boxes one at the 12 euro option). I just want to see is this an option before I renew my chorus subscription.

Many Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes you can get a second sky box off ebay and use an FTV card. But be warned never tell sky you have it or they will send annoying people around to crush your boxes. If you want a mirror sub when it arrives you will need a third box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

You can tune in Utv on sky digital. There is an "Other Channels " option in one of the menus, I think it is services. You need to know the frequency which I do not have here but if you look in some old post it should be there. It was from boards that I got the info on how to do it. Unfortunately I do not think you can get Channel 4.

No you cant!

Where have you been for the last week?

as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rafter

Waylander, in case you had'nt noticed, SKY have blocked all ITV region stations inc UTV at the request of ITV.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Right so lads. I was away for a week, sorry if I upset you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

appology accepted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

You will not need a third box for a mirror subscription. When the mirror subscription becomes available (meant to be really soon) all you have to do is tell sky that you got a box yourself from an auction site or whatever. They will send out the second "mirror" card and then you will have to ring and get it activated.

Your FTV card should still work in your second box as well, however note that Sky tell you to keep both boxes connected to your phoneline. If using the FTV card make sure you disconnect the phoneline.

For anyone with two seperate subs at the moment, it will be possible to merge the two subs into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jasgrif11

Cheers guy's thanks for the response, looks like i'll get rid of chorus. Just as a matter of interest do I have to get a new dish as well or is it just the box and card (and then connect both to existing satellite dish)?.

Thanks in advance.

You can have up to 4 standard boxes running from the one dish. The installer should have the correct LNB when you arrange to get the second box installed. If you are doing the install yourself you will have to buy a new LNB for the end of the dish as the standard one only has one output. You can get a twin output or a quad (4) output.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ShaneOC:
    Your FTV card should still work in your second box as well, however note that Sky tell you to keep both boxes connected to your phoneline. If using the FTV card make sure you disconnect the phoneline.

Sky cannot and Should not tellyou to keep the phone line connected to any second box that you have bought from e-bay or elsewhere.
    You own this second box as you will have bought it outright.
    The purpose of the phoneline is threefold
    1. For the box to "phone Sky" occasionally to confirm that you do indeed have a landline for to qualify for the Subsidised digibox.
    2.For Sky Box office
    3. For to confirm your location in ROI or the UK.

Even after you have had your subsidised box for more than 12 months, you own it otright aswell and they should not and cannot ask for a phoneline connection

therefore you will have no problems with your second box if you use it for the mirror subscription when available as well as using the FTV Card
    mm

madman, you are right about the phoneline being required for the subsidised boxes for the first year. The phoneline is not required if you get a box from an auction site.

However, part of the terms and conditions for the mirror subscription require that the two boxes be connected to the phoneline. It doesn't matter where you get the boxes. The reason for this is so that Sky can verify that you are actually using the two boxes at the one address. If they didn't do this we would all get mirror subscriptions and then move the box to a friends house and both could share a very reduced subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digitalman

i have a question,
    has the phone line to be still conected after 12 months to the mirror subscription?

Also i have a uk card in my second box and was wondering would they know i was disconnecting the phone line to put in the uk card each time?

cheers...digitalman

Yes I think you do need the phone line connected. However when using a FTV card just disconnect the phoneline while using it. As far as I know they do not do the checks that often and it is usually during the night. I have only ever seen my box dial out once in 18 months.

Honestly I don't know how strict Sky are aboutr the phone lines for the mirror sub but you can see why they'd want to be able to stop people sharing subs.

However, part of the terms and conditions for the mirror subscription require that the two boxes be connected to the phoneline.

I'll be telling them then, that Wexford like florida is Lightening alley,many,many,many thunderstorms:D-so phoneline has to be out most of the time.
    Can't afford to put the digibox on the house policy as the premiums are too high due to the preponderence of the Thunder, and the recent hike in Subscription fee's:D
    It's all I can do to scratch the few cent together for the mirror sub..sob..sob :(
    mm

Lads,

Can we have any spare cents for madman please? :D

Send them on to TV Tower, Wexford. :D

That should get them there alright :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'll open the bank account for lodgments tomorrow ;);)

:D:D
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by madman

I'll be telling them then, that Wexford like florida is Lightening alley,many,many,many thunderstorms: ........

........ sub..sob..sob :(
    mm

My advice ? Rubber soles !!! And maybe rubber gloves ! In fact, why not rubber everything ?? (Purely for protection ... from lightening strikes, I mean)

Advertisement