Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Helmets to be worn by law, YAY or NAY

Options
  • 17-02-2002 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Do you think that wearing a helmet by law is right?

Personally i don't see why it is law, i mean if someone wants to take the risk or not wearing a helmet and enjoy all the pleasures of wind in the hair and bugs in the teeth then shouldn't be their right? I mean, in an accident its only going to affect themselves anyhew. Its not illegal in the ol' US, and the only reason it is here is probally cos of the goverment tryin to minimse deaths caused by our crappy roads and ****e tests trainning for driving, but does that still make it right to take away someones choice of what they want to do with their lives when it only affects themselves????? (i'd have the same argument with the ol' push bikes)

What are your views?

Gid.

Should Helmet Wearing be compulsory by Law 30 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    90% 27 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    10% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A friend was killed in a bike accident a few years ago. To be honest, I think the families of those injured and killed have a right to get the victims (dead or alive) back in one piece. Having your head ripped open isn't very fair on the ambulance crews.

And I understand a lot of states in the US have introduced regulations for helmets.

And they should be mandatory for pedal-cyclists also.

Remember that no matter how safe a driver / rider you are, there is always some idiot (often in a car) out there ready to kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Helmets should be worn by law.

It's quite simple really; if given the choice, some people would refrain from wearing a helmet. And if they do happen to crash; the consequences of not wearing a helmet could be quite gruesome for all concerned.

It's for your own safety, and also keeps the whole press fascination with motorcycle deaths relatively in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Eye

yes of course they should be compulsary.

a friend\work m8 was killed just over a year ago on a scooter, not the sort of thing you would think could kill you but they are every bit as dangerous as bikes, especially with all the lunatic boy racer dicks driving about it there ****ty suped up honda civics and other dire 4 wheeled vehicles.

as for the states if i'm not mistaken you are required by law to wear a helmet in almost all of the 50 states now, i think there are about 7ish states that it's not yet law but they are working on getting it compulsary in those states too, or so i've heard.

personally i'd never ride my bike without the brain bucket, after all it could save your life if you are in an accident so it should be treated as part of the bike rather than an accessory.

before i go, i'd love to say to anyone here from carrick-on-suir in co.tipp, that has a tiny little scooter and loves joyriding it around the streets here, as bad as it sounds i can wait for one of you idiots who places the helmet on top of your head rather than actually wearing it, to fall off and do yourself a good injury, maybe then you'll cop the **** on and all your little buddies too.

that will be all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭paddymee

I agree with the people who have said that helmets can save you in an accident.

However they didn't address the point of should it be compulsary. I don't see the connection between something that's good for you must be compulsary.

If that's the case ban motorcycles, because they are dangerous.

Make it compulsary to wear a condom while having casual sex because a condom could stop you getting killed.

BTW I ride and race motorcycles and always wear a lid. I just don't think the government should tell me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Eye

ok well for someone who rides and races motorcycles paddymee, i would have thought the you above all people would know that motorcycles are not dangerous machines, they are as safe as the person driving it, if your a crazy son of a bitch with suicidal tendancies and a need for speed on a public road, then yes it's a dangerous combination, but for those of us who ride sensibly they are every bit as safe as any other mode of transport, we just gotta keep our eyes open for tossers in cars who appear to be blind when it comes to recognising a bike as another road user.
    i cant count the number of times i've had assholes driving towards me and they decide to over take a car because they think oh well he's on a bike he can move out of my way but if it was a car coming towards him he would'nt try it.

and going by your message you seem to think that seat belts in cars should'nt be compulsary at all either???
    i have nothing to do with politcs at all, can't stand it but i do acknowledge the fact that the government are doing something to try and save lives on irish roads, and for that reason seatbelts and helmets should be compulsary for our own safety to protect us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Let me tell you that....

..If I didnt invest in a good helmet years ago, I would probably not be here to type this junk!

I slipped on a diesel patch left from a truck unloading bricks on a corner in Youghal and whilst I was doing 30mpg, I slid across the road and straight under an oncoming car.

The front wheel went over my head and then my head lodged between the front wishbone and the drive prop. The helmet was a Wayne Gardener-replica Schoei which was a composite FibreGlass-Kevlar-Carbon Fibre, one of the strongest helmets around at the time... Even with this helmet, the visor imploded into my face and the jaw-section snapped off with the sheer pressure of having a car on my head...

If I wasnt wearing a helmet......SQUISH...

Young people* live for the day and not for their lives....I know I did...and that is just the way it is....young people if given the choice would not have the awareness and self-responsibility to select the correct path...

* not all of course, only 99% :P

I think if someone need to ask this question of should helmets be compulsory....THEY need to get their head examined before its too late...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Full riot gear should be a necessity imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Helmets to be worn by law. YAY.

Not going to go into my reasons why as all my points have been made above.

In fact there is a new device developed in asia where by an inflatable jacket is placed on the rider and connected from the jacket to the bike seat by way of a chord. When the driver leaves his seat (thrown off, fell off etc.) the chord snaps and the jacket inflates in time to cushion the landing. If this could be introduced it could save a LOT of injuries and possibly deaths.

ok well for someone who rides and races motorcycles paddymee, i would have thought the you above all people would know that motorcycles are not dangerous machines

I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic. I meant to imply that people perceive them as dangerous, and some would like them banned.

People are still typing how helmets have saved their lives. Was it the government that forced you to wear the helmet or your own good sense? Hopefully the latter.

Neil3030's post is the reason I don't want the government involved.
    When the driver leaves his seat (thrown off, fell off etc.) the chord snaps and the jacket inflates in time to cushion the landing. If this could be introduced it could save a LOT of injuries and possibly deaths.

Ok, so the government force you to wear this now! Everyone Ok with this?

What about the leg protectors that the EU was nearly pushed through a number of years ago?

How about a shell around motorcycles so the rider can't hit anything?

How about putting 2 more wheels on it to make it less likely to fall?

How about banning then all together, because if there are no bikes, no one dies off them?

While I have streched what could happen, the leg protector thing nearly did happen. Even when research showed that it would increase deaths, it was only stopped at the 11th hour. Talk to your MAG rep.

BTW. I wear a full leather suit, back protector, $200 gloves, $300 boots and a good lid. And that's when I ride to work. The government doesn't need to tell me that it's a good idea.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by paddymee
    BTW. I wear a full leather suit, back protector, $200 gloves, $300 boots and a good lid. And that's when I ride to work. The government doesn't need to tell me that it's a good idea.

You don't need to be told but there's plenty of people who do. It's exactly the same as seat belt laws. In fact seat belts aren't as critical as helmets, so why are the enforced by law? The first crash I was ever in, there was 4 of us in the car, and only 1 wearing a seat belt. In this particular instance, the person wearing the seat belt came out the worst of the 4. But statistics is what makes it necessary. There are so many people who just think it'll never happen to them. These are the people the government is trying to protect. In fact if you look at other laws/legislation, you'll find plenty of things in place that aren't strictly necessary, but are there for the populations protection. Prostitution laws, money-lending laws, retailers codes of practice. Are you going to oppose all of them too, because 'the government are telling me it's a good idea when I already know'?. Let them say it and enforce it. If you always wear a helmet like you say you do, then it's never going to affect you. :)

I think that jacket is a good idea. Of course it'll never be made law. Will airbags be made law? nope. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Picture it;

A fluckwit on a high-powered sportsbike wearing nothing but some flimsy goggles to protect his eyes from the wind.

Highsiding into an approaching car and smashing through the windscreen.

One dead motorcyclist, which incidentally will be splattered(excuse the pun) all over the news. One badly traumatised driver after seeing the fluckwits gray matter sprayed all over his/her car.

The result; pressure from ignorant politicians to ban motorcycles, or ban sportsbikes or introduce restrictors as a compulsory accesory.

The fact is; helmets save lives. I'm all for them being law; because if they weren't law I can see many fluckwits especially moped "riders" splattering their brains all over our roads. If the choice is there, people who would normally not take the risk may take the risk.

As for the whole airbag thing; that's still in the development phase and all the rest of it. I can't see it being made law to wear one; anymore than I can see bikes with rollcages being made law either.

I would glady wear some kind of airbag system assuming it didn't add extra bulk or weight... but again that's some way off.

As it is I also wear hundreds of pounds worth of protective gear when I'm on my bike; and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Yes, of course they should. It's in the bikers' interest. Anyone who didn't wear one is foolish. They should be compulsory for bicycles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, remember that the law (any law) is there to protect themselves and us from the stupidest 10% of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

I have been driving 15 years. I will always wear a lid. Law or no law.
    From what I read here, not ONE of you guys have any extensive experience of biking, either local or continental.
    Mopeds, 125's and "great first time big bikes" don't count.

But ALWAYS buy the best helmet and armoured jacket, pants and boots that you can afford.
    I have plenty of boring stories of collapsed lungs, PERMANENT metal implants and severe emotional upset "lasting six years" that NOT wearing a good lid can cause.

Don't bother with the "Excuse me I have been driving..." e.t.c
    I don't care......I am now officially ON MY SOAPBOX!! an there aint no goin back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

Anyone wanna buy my old z550?? coz I don't love it anymore.

I have been driving 15 years. I will always wear a lid. Law or no law.
    From what I read here, not ONE of you guys have any extensive experience of biking, either local or continental.
    Mopeds, 125's and "great first time big bikes" don't count.

But ALWAYS buy the best helmet and armoured jacket, pants and boots that you can afford.
    I have plenty of boring stories of collapsed lungs, PERMANENT metal implants and severe emotional upset "lasting six years" that NOT wearing a good lid can cause.

Don't bother with the "Excuse me I have been driving..." e.t.c
    I don't care......I am now officially ON MY SOAPBOX!! an there aint no goin back..

Sure you always wear a lid? Because it's sounds like you got a serious bang on the head.

Where as you have being
    driving 15 years
    I've being riding for 12.

BTW. How would wearing a helmet prevent a collapsed lung? Curious about that one.

Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by Victor
    And they should be mandatory for pedal-cyclists also.

Its law in Australia and apparently a huge success.

(The few Noddys who still refuse (why?) are slowly being culled by their own stupidity.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by paddymee
    BTW I ride and race motorcycles and always wear a lid. I just don't think the government should tell me too.

Its not for people like us these laws are made. Its for the walking brain-dead masses that need to be told. (the same people who need "Warning: contents Hot" on the cup of Hot Coffee they just ordered)
    If not to save themselves but to save us the expense and grief that goes with treating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Talked this over with a friend who's in the Insurance industry. Their likely stance would be to stick in a clause invalidating your insurance if no helmet is worn, so if the government doesn't make you wear a helmet, the insurance companies will.

From a personal note, I think the helmet rule was brought in for the same reason the Government banned people from walking the railway tracks, there's always some idiot who will try it.

It's not for people like us these laws are made. Its for the walking brain-dead masses that need to be told.

So its a Us versus Them. I presume that Them is anyone that disagrees with you.

I hope when you fall into the Them group that people like you are not in charge.

Paddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement