Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study!!!! Help!!!!

Options
  • 16-02-2002 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

am i the only one who cant study?????
    :confused::(:confused:

anybody have any tips?

particularly for french and biology....im screwed!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Um, I wouldn't worry about it, not yet anyway. I haven't done any study yet, at all, haven't even been doing homework since last october or so. I tried to do some study for the mocks but it didn't really work, hopefully I'll be able to do at least something for the real exams, although I got 370 points in the mocks, which I'd be happy enough with.

Tbh the study doesn't bother me, I'm more worried about the construction project that is due in at the end of april and is still a pile of pieces of wood. Oh and I have to be starting the french course sometime soon if I want to get a pass in it. I wouldn't say you're the only one who can't study at this stage, in fact I don't think any of my friends apart from one has done any study so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

thats a relief........its just crappy cos i go to leeson st and my parents seem to think its a miracle school.

i need at 500pts for what i wanna do.......but its getting further and further away from me......

nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

Didn't do biology but French.. constantly revise all the verb tenses, pronouns etc.. make sure you know the grammar because it's essential when writing the short essay piece thingys..

Also, learn idioms for your essays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Originally posted by Mills
    Tbh the study doesn't bother me, I'm more worried about the construction project that is due in at the end of april and is still a pile of pieces of wood.

your worried about your construction project? my class still haven't been given any wood to work with!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by peachypants
    am i the only one who cant study?????
    :confused::(:confused:

anybody have any tips?

particularly for french and biology....im screwed!!!

Get the less stress more success books there great.
    But if they don't have the subjects you want get Rapid Revision

• Advertisement

i need at 500pts for what i wanna do.......but its getting further and further away from me......

Hah, same for me, I'd be needing about 500 points to do Psychology on it's own in one of the irish colleges. I've had a look into it though and apparantly if I start into an ordinary arts degree and take psychology as one of the subjects and do pretty well at it then I can start the pure psychology degree after completing first year of the arts degree. This is looking like a much nicer option at the minute for me, mainly because it doesn't involve working my ass off for the leaving cert, but also because I'll get a chance to try a few subjects and see if I like them, not just be stuck with one. Also I'd hate to put in loads of work for the leaving and miss out by a few points, if that happened then all the work would be a complete waste of time because I can get what I need for my second choice doing no work. Also, I'm lazy, especially when it comes to school.
    your worried about your construction project? my class still haven't been given any wood to work with!!!

Hmmm, we have to sort out our own work and designs and all that, which is nice because it means we can make whatever we like, unfortunately I messed up loads of my wood so I have to get more and basically start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I didnt do anything last year until the last two weeks (end of year exams) including homework etc. I started studying in september then some stuff happened that completely threw me and i didnt do a tap until about two weeks ago before these mocks. If you settle down and try to do notes on everything it really really helps. condense every chapter into an A4 page with only the biggest points and then later if you have time go back and fill in some details. But learn the points first then worry about extras!

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Fio how can u condense the notes when u've already lost most of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

You start now and make your own note, i know i cant learn form someone elses.

You do have 3 months.

<< Fio >>

I hear people saying this but I have absolutely no problem learning from other people's notes, or even straight from the text book if it's good, I think I'll invest in a load of those revision books and learn from those, between that and doing sample papers I should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

give up-if something takes much effort, its not worth doing.

think of all the living you could be doing in the next three months.
    it's not a big deal, it just decides the rest of your life, an...oh wait maybe you should work a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The only way to studey is to condense what you need to know into your words and progression of thought.
    Its the only way to study and has always worked for me- both for the LC and through College.

When I lived in the States, I did all these learning tests as a young fella- I learn well with music playing and have a photographic memory- that means I should try to map topics in my mind so as to remember them as I need to. For this I operate mainly a 3 column system....

Topic...Sub Topic...Content

If you want to see some of my college notes- www.bbls.stauntonline.com , I maintain a site [mainly for my mates] with all my notes- if you want to have a look and you can see some examples of shorthand and thought progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just get as many old papers as you can. Keep doing them.
    Go through the subject, write out all the points/formula for it.

Write out the names of all these points on a seperate page and then write as much about each point as you can. Keep doing that.
    I did that for Physics, learned nearly every formula in the book over a period of two months. Got a B in honours. Should have gotten an A.

I wish I did it for the other subjects !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Verb
    Just get as many old papers as you can. Keep doing them.
    Go through the subject, write out all the points/formula for it.

Write out the names of all these points on a seperate page and then write as much about each point as you can. Keep doing that.
    I did that for Physics, learned nearly every formula in the book over a period of two months. Got a B in honours. Should have gotten an A.

I wish I did it for the other subjects !

Gav

That's exactly what I did....We had done study skills seminars, but the stuff in them never helped me - like 80p's suggestion....I just have this ability to switch off when I'm writing or typing, and I'm not even reading the text, just processing each word and writing it down, I have to re-read it to understand it. For me, I just read all the books from cover-to-cover and then did every single paper I could put my hands on, using the books as help of course. It would have been much more effective if I didn't start studying in April!!! :)

Advertisement