Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ocean's eleven (review)

Options
  • 16-02-2002 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

i once had a thought of robbing a brinks van (as you do) and there was no way in hell of me succeeding in that adventure without the use of a sledgehammer, which just made me give up on the whole idea of becoming a thief.

i went to see this movie because Steven Sodenberg directed it and it was free. some people would watch Sodenberg direct curdling milk, so i wasnt in for another movie with a-list celebrities smiling for two hours.

it never gets boring and is actually entertaining. its not a masterpiece but its watchable. the crime is believable and if anyone can steal money and still look cool, it can only be george clooney, brad pitt and the other nine.

does this movie suck? no. will it make you a thief? no. what about the sledgehammer, do they use one? no.

i liked this one and i'd recommend it.

adnans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

i'd have to agree. Not the film of the year or anything, but snappy dialogue, good use of music and pretty good and fun acting kept me entertained.

Is there a smoother man in the world than Brad Pitt? I think notl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Very good saw it last night great music mostly good acting great twists and turns in the plan on the whole a good film but not the film of the year god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Agreed; good show.

Perhaps not something that you would dwell on too much after leaving the cinema, but definitely an enjoyable couple of hours.

All the parts are played well, and they manage to make the robbery seem pretty feasible (until you actually start to think about it).

Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I liked it, and I am going to become a master thief if only there was something masterly to steal in limerick... oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Quite good... but not all that memorable. Empire gave it 5 stars :o! Thats definately overrating it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Great entertainment, did exactly what is said on the tin, and was exactly how i expected it to be. Classy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

eye candy....
    the good kind though:)

If it had been a bit more tense at the end it would have better- bit of a damp squib- only tense bit is where the trapese artist gets the bandage caught [wont spoil it:)]

better than the original IMO though
    Maybe it was just the style at the time but the acting in the original is pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

[Brinkman]Blindingly obivious answer.
    [Twit in the seat in front of me]*gasp*

:rolleyes:

Sometimes watching a film in the cinema can enhance the experience. I went to the Matrix with no clue what the film was about and the audience reaction was great. For Final Destination, everybody jumping at the same time rocked the entire row, and for comedies you always laugh more when others laugh with you.

But some twit with big hair who just has no clue.... :mad:

In other words - good film, see it when it's not crowded. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Another one of those type of movies really, but still I enjoyed it , can't complain about ****e acting from idiots in this one!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Great film. Just a pity they spelt out how the robbery was done at the end. And Julia Roberts is a trog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Draco
    Just a pity they spelt out how the robbery was done at the end.

Isn't that sorta the whole point of the film?

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger

Isn't that sorta the whole point of the film?
    It was just with one particular sentance that spelt out how exactly they did it. It seem stuck in for the stupid people in the audience who weren't paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gertrude

twas grandish. three stars mindless popcorn accompaniment. and julia roberts is indeed quite unsavoury. it didn't seem right that these guys were googly eyed at her when she looked like her own mother. but good fun nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Not even entertaining really. Totally see-through plot. Really poor dialogue. A few dismal attempts at humour.

There was no suspense, no excitement whatsoever. You didn't really give a sh*t about any of the characters, and what's the story with Julia Roberts' character? Is she really supposed to be *that* shallow?

Not worth the price of admission.

Anyone else see it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Enygma
    Anyone else see it?

I did, and unfortunately I have to agree in the main with your comments.
    I was expecting so much more.

I would not call it a really bad film, I would however, call it mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Still it was entertaining.

I loved it. I want to be George Clooney when I grow up.

The point of the whole bit with Julia Roberts was that she wasn't that shallow, bu Garicas character was.

Oh - and I'm merging this with the previous Ocean's 11 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Yeah I thought it was pretty dame good. Brad Pitt didn't seem to have to act in it at all!! he was really smooth!!
    Julia Roberts though was mingin! she looked like she needed a shave!!
    the soundtrack was excellent.

:D

Advertisement