Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I hate Motors

Options
  • 15-02-2002 8:44pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reason being, because they're death machines

487 people were killed on the roads in 2001, they're killers

The veichle registration is like 20% on every car, we're the only country in Europe that has it, and insurance... don't even start there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

OJ

as a car driver myself, i can say without doubt that the MAJORITY of the time it is the driver, and not the motor, that are the killers.

and in fear of this thread becoming a FLAME war, you may want to edit your post a tad :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Maybe I want it to become a flame war? :)

of course no one stops to think about things that kill cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I will wait until tomorrow to start a good rant but needless to say the hole motoring situation is pure pants.

A preview of the rant is:

I HATE BAD DRIVERS

I'll bet that you cant wait!...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by OJ
    487 people were killed on the roads in 2001...

OJ, where did this figure come from ?

Are you talking about all 32 counties or just the Freestate ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I am talking about the Republic

OJ, couild you quote the cource ? not that im doubting you, but im interested for my own curiousity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They are modes of transport and recreation that are sometimes involved in accidents due to the carelessness and stupidity of the person or persons involved.

Federal government task force has estimated that between 44,000 and 98,000 Americans die each year due to medical mistakes. Hospitals = killers???
    The veichle registration is like 20% on every car, we're the only country in Europe that has it

Thats the government's fault. The cars didn't decide to charge 20% extra for their services in this country.
    and insurance... don't even start there

The reason insurance prices are so high in Ireland is due to boy racers and the high claims of victims. Nothing to do with the vehicles.

i was waiting for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

And you got it :)

But observe:
    I do not intend nor did i perfom any action that might turn this into a flame war (even if that was its obvious purpose)

if i did however....

/me rubs his hands and ponderes the consequenses....<SMAK> NO!! snap out of it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by OJ

The veichle registration is like 20% on every car, we're the only country in Europe that has it, and insurance... don't even start there.

I believe that figure of 487 is for the year 2000, as far as I can recall, 420 or so people died last year. Unfortunately we don't have any statistics to show the true causes, such as the state of the road where a particular accident occured.

The price of a car in Denmark is significantly higher than it is here.

And as others have already pointed out, it's the people who are in control of the motors who are responsible for what happens in most cases.

Originally posted by Neil3030
    The reason insurance prices are so high in Ireland is due to boy racers and the high claims of victims. Nothing to do with the vehicles.

Behind every high claim is a high paid ambulance chaser!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I think I'll start a flame war inside a flame war.. hope you dont mind OJ :)

"Bloody boy racers! Nothing but a painful boil on the arse of society"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<flame>Yeah, those gimps cause insurance prices to spiral into fantasyland for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Flame wars make the baby jebus cry :(

Lets get onto the topic of females.
    Right, we all know that females insurance's are cheaper, But howcome the majority of females are in accidents, they drive too slow an cause more accidents than males, but then on the other hand, I do see some females in ym area driving around in bloody impreza's and blowing it around in the area, I think the majority of male accients has lowered down, I'll look into that one, but does anyone aggree that they're less male accidnets & claims these days?

Originally posted by OJ
    does anyone aggree that they're less male accidnets & claims these days?

Yes I do. Its all a conspiracy on the part of the insurance companies... They reckon theres no profit in the insurance business these days.. but lads, there has to be some profit when every male is being charged a minimum of £4000 to drive a rusty old micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

Irish males aged 18 to 30 are the biggest risk group with the most claims (nothing to do with the fact that this group is 35 to 45 % of the drivers on the road) I started off insured with a audi coupe 14 years ago when I was 17 and I have switched cars due various reasons such as fuel efficency and I will never drive a Austin/Rover again and so on, but with one thing that was constant : my insurance would go up every year. I have always been told that I was in the wrong age catagory for insurance " if you were 2 years old sir" ( I want to kill them!!!) the fact that the insuance companies increased the costs this year by 20% this year and they post record profits in the same quarter?
    but at the same time there are a lot of muppets out there be they young, old, experienced or inexperienced or male or female. to put my point to you, I have been KNOCKED down 43 times since 1991(all bar the first happened in dublin) people don't pay attention and accidents occur. The cost of cars and the messed up 2nd hand market with the ambalance chasers do not help.
    I have been interested in cars since I can remember and we do have the worst system here in Ireland.

Bangs head as this will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

sorry meant to say knocked down while cycling!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Maybe the fact that the insurance co's know damn well that a Woman aint gonna pay €4000 for a ****ty micra well they can scab lifts and get the bus

Most men on the other hand would give thier left arm to get insured-hence the high cost!!!

Men-Car-Broovvvmmm Brooovvvvmm-Trucks-Two Trucks-Crash!

LOL:D

Odian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Laf! how small are you? and how small is your bike?

No serious....I understand what you are saying....I was an ameteur cyclist, but not I am just a fat frog and cushion-squasher and I totally agree with you...

When I was 17 I was on the Irish cycling squad and used to train 500/600 miles (school/daylight permitting) per week as a junior and ever week a car/truck had either made contact with me or just missed me. 99% of drivers have total disregard for cyclists...and for some reason even more in the rain...

I used to hate when an articulated lorry used to pass and after the cabin passed you, the truck driver used to pull back into and you would be pushed into either the ditch or buddyhop onto the parrallel footpath*....

J.

Note: Parrallel bunnyhopping may sound fun...but after a 130-mile winter spin around the top of the Kerryman's table, it just aint...

Originally posted by Odian
    Maybe the fact that the insurance co's know damn well that a Woman aint gonna pay €4000 for a ****ty micra

But we hvae blondes these days :)

Originally posted by OJ

But we hvae blondes these days :)

This just goes to show that we can always count on OJ for an entertaining yet entirely factual oneliner :)

Insurance.
    It really pisses me off that men are discriminated against in this way. If it where women that were paying higher insurance, with the insurance companies quoting "women drivers-crap" as the excuse there would be uproar. The females would cry sexism, bring the insurance companies to court and probably win. Us lads however just have to accept it as the way that it is. I remember an episode on the late late show about this topic.(I was angry for a week just thinking about it). For example, I know that my insurance will be more expensive than my girlfriends, even with the same car, and the fact that I have a full, clean drivers licience and she only has a provisional.

It used to amuse me when driving about town that most of the younger drivers, during rush(ha!) hour where women. Frequently there was a lad beside then looking glum. I could be brother/boyfriend or what ever but they didn't look happy at all.

The car that I drive in work, a ford Focus TDi, was quoted at €5400. At the moment I am under the companies fleet insurance but the company is closing down. That is 100 quid a week. For that I could get a taxi to work. For the repayments on the car I could get taxis/buses/trains everywhere else.

I am going outside to scream and punch walls to vent my annoyance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

now OJ - being of the female persuasion myself (allegedly) I must protest on behalf of all women! that is a sweeping statement and I have never been the cause of an accident (that I am aware of anyway! lol)

step outside please - so we can sort this out *Beruthiel holds door open for OJ*

I heard this before a while back.( I don't remember where, so no sources, unfortunatly)

Women are in more accidents and men fewer. But men cause more damage in the accidents that they are involved in.

From personal experience, women drivers just annoy me. Their worst habit is to lag behind lorries on the roads at about 50mph. This impedes those drivers comming from behind and prevents them from overtaking. If they are going to overtake they should do so, but otherwise they should maintain a distance between themselves and the truck(or slow moving vehicle) to allow the person comming from behind to overtake them then the lorry instead of making them overtake the two together and making the roads more dangerous.

Originally posted by Beruthiel

now OJ - being of the female persuasion myself (allegedly) I must protest on behalf of all women! that is a sweeping statement and I have never been the cause of an accident (that I am aware of anyway! lol)

step outside please - so we can sort this out *Beruthiel holds door open for OJ*

Excuse me, the embroidery board is over there ----> somewhere

Leave those big nasty cars to us men

*runs like *****

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Excuse me, the embroidery board is over there

NeRb666 if you could just follow us outside, when I'm finished with OJ I'll take care of you next, there's no point running away, I'll just run you down :D

I drive a nasty bike btw - but I suppose the sweeping statements still stands??
    men :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What kinda big nasty bike have you got? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

young males cause more accidents than any other age or gender group and that is a fact.
    they drive faster, are more dangerous, less careful, break all the rules of the raod and are generally more crap drivers than they think they are.
    i think the insurance should be higher for them so the rest of the population can get an insurance break caused by these little boy racers.

women drivers only annoy you coz youre driving too fast.
    and yes, they are better drivers than most males.
    and net time you give your general statements on how good a driver you are, please feel free to throw out the statistics and prove youreslf wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement