Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.T. or U.C.D. ?

Options
  • 14-02-2002 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I'm currently studding architecture in England but will be moving back to Ireland to complete my studies and was wondering where I should go. D.I.T. or U.C.D. ?

Anyone who knows about the faculty's, courses or collages please respond!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i don't know anything about the course itself, but as a UCD student, i wholeheartedly say.......

............GO TO DIT!! RUN AS FAST AS YOUR LITTLE LEGS WILL CARRY YOU!!!

but as i said, i don't know anything about architecture specifically, so you should ask someone who does know!!

hmmm...that wasn't very helpful, was it?? sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I dont know a lot about these courses as i go to accounting indcu so correct me if im wrong. DIT is considered the best college for architecture but im not sure about the facilities and i personnally dont know anyone who has done the course.

UCD is also a very good course and i know someone who is in her final year. She loves the course and has had a great time in UCD. (personnally i think UCD is too big and has no atmosphere)

Well thats all i know hope it help

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I did quantity surveying in DIT for a year and the quality of lecturing was miserable for the most part.

UCD has a good reputation for architecture, but that might only be name dropping by third generation architects (gobsheens!) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Architecture's in Bolton St., no? well I'm in Aungier St. and it's pretty alright now I have to say. It's obviously the only college I've studied in so I haven't a notion bout UCD so I can see that as regards helping you Doc, then. well, I ain't able to! So sorry for wasting your time and mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The UCD Faculty of Architecture is the best in the country. They're currently expanding so house extra offices and lecture rooms/theatres and I think workshops also, or something. The UCD course is an all-rounder, it educates students in technical areas (of course) but also aesthetic factors also - it's an architecture course, not an engineering course. I also understand that they have some excellent lecturers. They deal more with the dynamics of space, form and function more than Bolton St., so I gather.

DIT Bolton St. leans more to the technical side and of all the people I know who went there, most of them became civil service architects. I'm not exactly sure how much they deal with aesthetics, if that's what you're into, but they have a very good reputation on the technical end of things.

Alternatively, you could look to Cambridge or London, both of which have two of the world's leading architecture schools.

I'm not an architecture student, but I'm in UCD and keep up to tabs with what's going on and this is about the limit of my knowledge regarding UCD architecture. I'm a philosophy student see :) - and stangely enough, most of the postgrad applications to architecture schools come from philosophy graduates!

Hope that was of some help!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    and stangely enough, most of the postgrad applications to architecture schools come from philosophy graduates!

No wonder there are so many gobsheen architects!!! ;)

On the contrary!

Check out this stuff: http://www.tschumi.com/2frame.htm

Deconstructive architecture, based on the philosophy of this guy.

Eh, sorry I was referring specifically to UCD graduates - I've worked with a bunch of them. All fee, no foal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Thanks for the help!

So far I'm more inclined to go for UCD from what DadaKopf has said and my own limited knowledge but any more info would be greatly appreciated.

It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Victor
    Eh, sorry I was referring specifically to UCD graduates - I've worked with a bunch of them. All fee, no foal.

Sweeping Generalisations always Welcome:)

• Advertisement

Doc: I know they're all propaganda but why not rung up DIT and UCD and get them to send you their prospectuses?

Then you'll know for sure! That's if you haven't already got them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fredthebread

Me bruvver in law did it in bolton street, (He also studied architecture there).
    He seemed to think it was great and that ucd students didnt have much tecnical cop.

Originally posted by 80project
    Sweeping Generalisations always Welcome:)
    Eh, sorry I was referring specifically to UCD Architecture graduates - I've worked with a bunch of them. All fee, no foal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jimmy

Doc : im currently in 2nd year architecture in D.I.T. It's a very hand-on course. That a load of rubbish about the aesthetics side of things in D.I.T. we do just as aesthetics as we do the technical side. There are a lot new younger studio staff who are very clued into what is going on in the world of architecture. Obviously i dont know much about ucd, but id say the facilities might be better in ucd than dit, with the sports centre and all that. anyway if you have any more question give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

It would be worth your while posting this on
    http://www.archeire.com

They've fairly active forums and will probably be a little more informed than us lot (:

g'luck

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dizzyb

I'm in second year architecture in UCD at the mo, and they are trying to teach us some technical stuff! I don't know anything about the DIT course, but UCD is modularising at the moment, so a lot of the course content is getting changed around a bit. I'm not sure which years will be modularised next year, so i'd check with the college if i were you. The architecture office are really helpful! good luck!

Advertisement