Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Abductions

Options
  • 12-02-2002 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Dont know if its the right place but i think its as good as any.

Question: Are alien abductions real? Are they some kind of mental illness? A cry for attention? or a simple and very easy to explain reality once you understand the nature of sleep?

Like the North/South pole thread i know the answer to this one.. though i think all can apply in this case.. depends on the person but in general... there is one answer that can account for most of them. I will give a hint.. its nothing new! Before Aliens it was possesion by Demons and devils, in Ireland it was Faere folk etc.. have phun!

Alien abductions... 16 votes

They are Real
    0% 0 votes
    Nope they are all nuts
    25% 4 votes
    Attention grabbers
    50% 8 votes
    A simple and very easy to explain reality once you understand the nature of sleep
    25% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Can you seriously answer this one and prove it to be true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I don't know about abductions, but im pretty convinced i saw a UFO once.

Well I believe aliens exist , whether the abduction scenario is true I dont know, I'm sure there are some "attention grabbers" and people who are seriously nuts out there claiming they were nuts but I'm would go for the abnormal sleeping condition thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭horn dog 1

Its hard to be serious but here we go.......
    According to one Roper poll, more than three million Americans have had the misfortune of being abducted by aliens for weird, kinky experiments.There is a strange logical paradox with alien abductions. Intelligent beings from another planet have evidently developed spacecraft able to cross lightyears of space, a technology far beyond our ability to understand. They then proceed to abduct people secretly all over the world and manipulate their brains such that they lose conscious memory of it.

if your still reading then read on
    Instead, folklore delivers tales of spirits, fairies and demons. Modern therapists thus need to explain whether the aliens are really supernatural fairies and demons, whether the older stories were really about aliens, of if all the stories are true as toldIf alien abductions really did happen, then the reported experience should be unique and we should find nothing similar in our culture. But this is not the case and the abduction stories are not unique. Descriptions of the same sorts of aliens and abductions appear in fictional stories decades earlier. Similar abductions by mythological creatures appear in folklore centuries earlier. And similar stories of satanic ritual abuse, arrived at through similar unreliable clinical methods, are occurring at the same time today.

Im nackered after that lot and as a joke
    do aliens shave under there arm pits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭horn dog 1

there are other claims that I dont go along with but for those enterested
    Many tales "recovered" in consultation with a therapist have been combined with truly bizarre tales of satanic ritual abuse and wild conspiracy theories. A standard implicit assumption is that these cults have existed for years, if not generations, committing horrible strings of felonies without ever getting caught or leaving behind even a shred of evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Yes of course we shave our...
    *cough*
    I mean I'm sure they do.

/me Nanu Nanu's
    "I think my cover has been blown, request pickup, over"

:)

But maybe thats what they want you to believe !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I voted they're all nuts, although I reckon it's a possibility. Alien abductions that is, but I don't believe I've ever heard a genuine (as far as I'm concerned) story, as far as TV goes, and news etc...etc.. I think those people are nuts.
    I do, howver believe in extra terrestrial existence, so anything's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yup ok firstly i dont believe that UFO's are alien craft.. they are either ordinary aircraft that look like UFO's, Top secret Military craft which is more plausable.. i mean if you were alive a few decades ago and saw a SR-71 (i think) Blackbird and had no idea what it was you would think UFO.. it looks like no other plane of its time, it looks like a Buck Rogers space plane.. same goes for the new stealth fighters/bombers.. and many others..
    Also they can be hoaxes.. remember the very first UFO sighting (think it was the first) was a massive hoax played by a radio station.. war of the worlds ensued!

Anyway back to the topic at hand. The answer is simple really.. I know as its happened to me a few times only I had more sense than to think I was being abducted.

The facts about sleep:

first> REM sleep.. this lasts for about 10-15 mins at a time and can occur several times during the night.

Secondly> While in REM sleep you are pretty much paralysed. This is essential as the dreams can be intense and chances are you are running amok in the dreams so if you were able to move you could do serious injury.

Now here is what happens. While in a state of REM sleep some people can on occasion wake up slightly.. they gain part consciousness.. but they are still in REM sleep and therefore dreaming.. they can open their eyes but they dont work straight away and shapes can be seen from the light that floods in and shadows in the room.. usually taking a round sort of shape in the middle of vision.. They then discover they are paralysed and cant move invoking a fear in all of us not to have control over our bodies. In ancient times it was a case they believed in Demon possession, today its aliens but not always. If they were not dreaming they would not think these things.. they are still sleeping so are not rational. Their subconscious dreams these monsters or aliens up.. the shapes become faces of devils or Aliens. Even your ears play a part! They don't work straight away then the sound comes flooding in.. there is no sound really just normal sound of an empty room but you know think you hear whatever you are seeing!

Anyway that's basically what happens.. eventually people wake up. They forget what happens just vague memories.. its when they get hypnotised that it all starts happening.. they relive their dream that should only be visited subconsciously and never when they are awake.. they are now scared for life!

A less extreme version is if you wake up but your leg or arm is in a position it should not be in.. but because your body is only waking up you don't feel it and next thing you know your in agony as its been in a bad position for hours and only now you can feel it.. happened to my leg once.. very sore and took days to be ok..

So , what about that film where the 4 lads are out, see lights one gets taken up and the other 3 hop back in the truck and take off, the guy who was taken is not found for a couple of days and its like miles away.

Now I dont know what happened but the lads were best mates but this cost them their friendship for 5/6 years or somthing.
    Is it communion ?

• Advertisement

Can't sleep , Clowns will eat me.......

This says it all... my point exactly! Primal fears are realised when this happens. This may be just a quote off a Tshirt but its spot on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Captain Janway

how come you never hear about dogs being abducted.
    Surely aliens would want to experiment on a broad range of animals on the planet.
    they are all attention seekers

Isn't it rumoured that they abduct cows or bulls and stuff ??

Yes, but you don't hear the cows complaing.

MOOOOOO ?
    I reckon it was the aliens who gave us the recipe for bun burgers !!

either aliens or the russians.
    I think that the question of whether there are aliens abduct people is nbot important.
    The real important question is , have aliens replaced abducted humans with someone else and what would they be??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

This is science? This seems more like a Humanities question to me.

Anyway....

Saruman....
    The facts about sleep:
    Secondly> While in REM sleep you are pretty much paralysed.

How can this be true? People having nightmares can thrash about in bed. I know - I've done it.

jc

Well, look at it like this, the planet was originally inhabited by reptiles, dinosaurs and the likes - so maybe we are the aliens - humans , and the other new species which came after.

man this is deep.
    I seriulksly be;live that my sup is a direct decendant of an alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by bonkey

Anyway....

Saruman....

How can this be true? People having nightmares can thrash about in bed. I know - I've done it.

jc

Well... it's happened to me lots as well. Very scary first time, I thought there was a ghost in the room, couldn't see anything but could feel it. So I started freaking out trying to get up but couldn't, becaus I was actually asleep... anyway, forced myself to wake up and bang normal sound came back to the room, and I was just sitting there. So it can be true, it can happen.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bonkey

Anyway....

Saruman....

jc

Actually no its more science I think, science being the pursuit of knowledge.. I think it borders on both Psychiatry and whatever the scientific name for the study of sleep is.. it is science though.. the Alien abduction part was more to get the ball rolling..

OK and as for your questioning my part on being paralysed.. Sorry Bonkey but I went to great lengths to emphasise its REM sleep im talking about, not regular sleep.. you can do what you like in regular sleep.. usually you even remember bits of your dreams and nightmares and you can move around as your not in REM sleep.. I explained REM sleep lasts only 10 or 15 mins at a time and may happen a few times during the night.. this is separate to normal sleep and normal dreams. There is a big difference.. for instance.. and this is only theory.. no real proof and it is being studied - While in REM sleep your subconscious is susceptible to the environment and information given.. for instance while in REM sleep someone puts on a learning tape like a linguaphone for instance and the next morning you can remember parts of it even though you were asleep.. this does not happen in a normal sleep and dream state.. only REM sleep.

Hope that clears things up everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

I believe in Abductions, if you read the stuff on these boards, then I think that mabye a 1/3 of the boards ppl have been....

There was this one time in alien abduction band camp. I got a probe st............

But that was in a galaxy far far away.......................and, I'm better now,.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Take your medication Ranger m8...stopping those pills is baaaad :P

Occy

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

The majority of these people seem to be American (for some strange reason). Strange aircraft flying around.....area 51... who knows what they get up to behind closed doors. :confused:
    Maybe Elvis was abducted by aliens:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I think a far more interesting question is do all of you exist? I know I do. But recently I've been having doubts about all of you lot. I look at people and all I see is billions and billions of atoms arranged nicely together. Also how did we get here? What happened before the big bang? I think the best possible explanation is that I exist and everyone else does not!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Originally posted by horn dog 1
    Its hard to be serious but here we go.......
    According to one Roper poll, more than three million Americans have had the misfortune of being abducted by aliens for weird, kinky experiments.There is a strange logical paradox with alien abductions. Intelligent beings from another planet have evidently developed spacecraft able to cross lightyears of space, a technology far beyond our ability to understand. They then proceed to abduct people secretly all over the world and manipulate their brains such that they lose conscious memory of it.

if your still reading then read on
    Instead, folklore delivers tales of spirits, fairies and demons. Modern therapists thus need to explain whether the aliens are really supernatural fairies and demons, whether the older stories were really about aliens, of if all the stories are true as toldIf alien abductions really did happen, then the reported experience should be unique and we should find nothing similar in our culture. But this is not the case and the abduction stories are not unique. Descriptions of the same sorts of aliens and abductions appear in fictional stories decades earlier. Similar abductions by mythological creatures appear in folklore centuries earlier. And similar stories of satanic ritual abuse, arrived at through similar unreliable clinical methods, are occurring at the same time today.

Im nackered after that lot and as a joke
    do aliens shave under there arm pits

Nakkered? I can see why. That is some point you made. Considering it came verbatim from this site http://atheism.about.com/library/weekly/aa011200c.htm

Advertisement