Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumers' Association of Ireland

Options

Comments

I'm not sure what help the CAI can be here.
    They cannot force a monopoly to provide a service.
    ITV is a service from another state, so they have no control over it.
    The CAI will probably say that you signed up on the dotted line for a platform where the small print clearly says that the channel line up can change at any time .
    So we're snookered folks until the Competition starts up.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

I am not sure of that Madman. I think that the consumers association exist not just as a lobby group, but also as a publicist of consumer issues.

I subscribe to their magazine, and their advice on a range of matters is excellent. They also regualrly get media coverge of their work (and lets face it, are there many issues more popular as TV).

A well timed investigation into the availability of choice for multi-channel TV could be just the thing. I would suggest that March would be a good time - the opening up of previous mutually exclusive territories (which is competition on paper), and the news around It's TV are all hot topics.

As staple channels in Ireland, Sky's reluctance to broadcast UK terrestrials would not prove favourable. Especially given their monopolistic tendancies.

I think a few e-mails sent to the CAI could be valuable. I contacted them about a month ago, and received a 'thanks, we'll look into it reply' - a bit more effort might pay off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Sky have recently printed new versions of their colour brochure, available in eircom stores and other Sky agents. In this brochure, Tara TV is clearly shown as being available as part of the Irish Sky Family package! This is clearly false advertising and warrants the attention of the Consumer Association!

/Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

do they still advertise BBC radio in those leaflets as being part of the Sky Digital package in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

However if you read the small print in the SKY contract it states that channels can be removed at any time!!!
    Mr. Murdoch has been in business too long to overlook this contract clause!!!!!!!
    I think all areas including the consumer association should be looked at. But they dont really have any power over a broadcast platform provider that operates outside the state. Do they??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    do they still advertise BBC radio in those leaflets as being part of the Sky Digital package in Ireland

No. They don't mention BBC radio at all in the leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by pbirney
    Sky have recently printed new versions of their colour brochure, available in eircom stores and other Sky agents. In this brochure, Tara TV is clearly shown as being available as part of the Irish Sky Family package! This is clearly false advertising and warrants the attention of the Consumer Association!

/Paul.

Perhaps the advertising standards authority for Ireland might help. Some years ago I lodged a complaint against NTL and won.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Genghis:
    I am not sure of that Madman. I think that the consumers association exist not just as a lobby group, but also as a publicist of consumer issues.

I agree with the notion of contacting them-yes.
    But would take Pacmans line that they have no power to intervene.
    When you sign up to Sky Digital,nowhere in the contract does it say , you are paying your Sub for ITV etc-so they are not breaking any consumer law.
    As a service provider Sky Digital,like it or lump it can provide what ever they see fit.They are in the business for profit and obviously the Sky digital platform is growing in popularity in ROI, every day more new connections,rather than disconnections.

To be quite honest about it , the management at Sky probably think they are on a winner,keeping the UK terrestials off in that their business is still growing here at a rapid rate-so why threaten the Irish advertising revenue on Sky One and News by making UTV and Ch 4 available???
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by madman
    Originally posted by Genghis:
    so why threaten the Irish advertising revenue on Sky One and News by making UTV and Ch 4 available???
    mm

well a lot of people dont have cable, esp. those in rural areas. and people are not going to connect to sky, just to see sky one and sky news, they want to see the rte's and the itv' and the bbc's etc.

If sky/itv made it so you could get itv if you subscribed to the family pack then they would both be garunteed some income, sky would get subscriptions itv would get new viewers for their advertisers

I agree-But unfortunately getting that notion into the thick heads at Sky is another kettle of fish.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

yeah seems like they picked their most intelligent heads for working at their call center in scotland!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Even though the C/S agents at Sky in Scotland, may not give the information we want, we can hardly blame them...
    They only give out information as they are told. I have contacted them on several occasions and when they had to give me an answer they always stated they were reading from a prepared text. I have always found them to be professional and nice to talk to. In the past when I was with Chorus, (Doh) the C/S agents there are probally a text book lesson on how NOT to deal with the public. Compared to Chorus, SKY C/S team are 100% better.

I agree the Guy's and Gal's at the Sky Call centre are very nice and helpfull(unless of course you are caught getting a bbc card:D )
    My comment above regarding the "thick head" at Sky was a reference to those at a higher level who pull the strings and not at Customer service.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Tony

Perhaps the advertising standards authority for Ireland might help. Some years ago I lodged a complaint against NTL and won.

Just out of interest, what was the complaint about?

I complained to ntl recently about the fact that their adverts for Multilink were misleading, but I got no reply :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

Dear Mo

Thank you for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in
    responding.

Unfortunately, Tara took the decision to cease broadcasting in Eire.
    However, for further information you may wish to contact this channel on
    0207 6659570.
    I regret that I am unable to assist you further, but may I thank you once
    again for taking the time to write to us at Sky.

Karen Hames

Viewer Relations

Original Message

Sent: 12 February 2002 21:41
    To: skydigital@sky.com
    Subject:

regarding this statement on your web site rewards section

March 17 sees New York's St Patrick's Day parade, one of the biggest parties
    in the city's calendar - and you could be there to enjoy it courtesy of Sky
    Rewards and Tara TV! We're sending one couple off to the Big Apple to sample
    the atmosphere at this year's festivities. As well as flights and tickets
    for the parade, we're providing £200 spending money and four nights
    accommodation to make sure you have a truly memorable stay! Tune in to Tara
    TV to see highlights of the New York parade and to check out what's
    happening in Ireland and around the world on St Patrick's Day.

we cant get tara even though I would love it as i cant get rte where i live.

mo

more false advertising???

<http://www.sky-rewards.com/live/basket.asp?skucode=10406&category=3&title=N
    ew/York/holiday>

Advertisement