Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Valentines Day Driving Test Massacre

Options
  • 08-02-2002 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

So after driving for my current company for 1.5 years and 40,000 miles I've finally got round to getting a driving test. It's on the 14th at the Rathgar/Churchtown centre.

Any tips for me folks? Anyone done the test there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Just relax and stay calm. Once the tester knows you are confident, and you don't make any major ****-ups, you should be ok. Get to know as many possible routes as you can. It'll be over before you know it.

Good luck BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wear a peaked cap, that way it will be more noticable when you look in the mirrors. And remember to check them every 3 seconds. I know its a pian in the arse but it's one of the biggest things they look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

this may help

Traffic Laws:
    Speed limits
    Freeways/Motorways 112 kph (80kph towing)

Regular non-urban roads 100 kph (80kph towing)

Urban areas 48/50 kph

Caution should be exercised when driving under the influence of alcohol. The legal tolerance limit is 0.08%.
    Wearing of seat belts is compulsory in front and rear seats.
    Children under 12 years age not permitted in front seats.
    It is recommended to carry breakdown warning triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and spare bulb kit in vehicle. If you wear glasses, bring a spare pair in the car with you.
    Minimum Driving age: 17 years.
    Documents required when driving
    Valid drivers license

Vehicle title document/registration certificate or vehicle rental agreement

Insurance green card (not obligatory for vehicles registered in IRL or another EU state)

National vehicle oval country of registration plate (not required for vehicles fitted with EU standard format license plates)
    Drive on the left and vehicle headlights should be focused accordingly.
    Avoid accidents at traffic signals by not braking suddenly when the lights turn to amber. This note particularly applies to drivers from GB who frequently create accident situations for themselves by not adopting to the driving style of the country they are driving in.
    Precedence Traffic coming from the right-hand side has precedence on roundabouts (traffic rotaries)
    Direction Sign Colo(u)rs Freeways/Motorways = Blue
    National Primary & Secondary routes = Green
    Regional and local routes = White

Tolls Tolls are payable at two points in the Dublin area - M50 Ring Road between the N4 and N3 interchanges only and on the R131 East Link Bridge. In each case the toll is under IEP 1.00 for cars, with higher tolls for vans and trucks. There are no tolls on other motorways or national routes.
    Automobile club breakdown services
    AIT Tel 1-800 66 77 88 (0800 88 77 66 in NI)
    FIA Tel 1-800 53 50 05 (0800 82 82 82 in NI)
    Tips for North Americans driving in Ireland for the first time - Driving styles and regulations differ in every country. It usually takes between a few hours and a day to get used to a new driving environment, particularly if you have not driven in the country before.
    If you are used to an automatic, be sure to specify automatic when making your reservation. Most cars in Ireland are standards and that is what you will be given if you do not ask.
    When you drive the car for the first time, take it around the block at the airport a few times to get used to the controls and driving on the left-hand side of the road
    Try and avoid the narrower R roads for the first day or so until you are familiar with your car and the driving environment
    Take your time - drive slowly at first until you gain confidence. Watch the signs carefully!
    If you cross the road to park or to visit a gas station, be sure to return to a driving position on the left-hand side after you exit the parking space!

Oh yeh and drive AT the speed limit of the area you are in. If you drive too slow they will fail you. And when you go from a 40 zone to a 60 zone, go from 40 to 60. You get my drift anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well that'd be handy if the speeds were in mph or amp was an american driving in ireland for the first time :)

somehow i doubt the tester will want you to know those numbers.

anyway some tips i found useful (and worked)..

- if its a 30 zone don't keep it at 28.. hover around 30 (over or under)... all your concentration shouldn't be on maintaining an exact speed, as long as you don't go over 35 or thereabouts at any point.

- keep well out from parked vehicles.

- have a clean car, inside and out, and obviously make sure you know where all the controls are (i.e. if car starts fogging up, throw on the air).

- know your signs for the few questions before the test, and definitly know the clearway one. (round blank white one), its always asked :)

- park nicely before you go in, basically so its easier for you to get out, and to start off with a confidence booster.

- most of all, you may feel like a twat doing it, but for two or three days leading up to the test, drive _everywhere_ like you would for the test (bar the strict speed of course), it will help you no end. just constantly glance in your mirror, you should always know in your head what car is behind you, and if you're on your own in the car list out the possible hazards and dangers ahead of you as you see them (brilliant way to increase concentration and road awareness, which they will pick up on).

- and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

And try your best not to smell like you've just consumed several bottles of ol' Jacks finest minutes before you got into the car with the instructor.... always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Man this is why I love boards.ie!
    - know your signs for the few questions before the test, and definitly know the clearway one. (round blank white one), its always asked

And I always forget it. It's not "Warning white cat crossing a snowy road in a blizzard" It's CLEARWAY CLEARWAY CLEARWAY! There that should do it.
    Drive on the left

Ah, interesting, might explain a few things people have been screaming at me lately.

Thanks one and all.

haha yeah I heard that like 75% of it is observation, looking in mirrors and all that. Stay well into the left, don't keep over to the middle line cos that pisses them off. Try not to hit any old people or animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Make sure you have your prov licience with you.
    car insurance and tax is upto date.
    don''t start car until s/he put seat belt on, if s/he doesn't put one on, ask him/her.
    do what they say, Ok we can start the car and move to the exit of the car park, don't start the ca unless he tells you.

make sure all lights and indercators are working, wipers, screen fluid,

clean windows, car wash beofre hand is good.

no christmas tree air fresheners, nothing to block your view.

Go through gears, stop 3 feet behind white lines at traffic lights, and cars in front.

"""Best one"""

Tilt the left hand passenger mirror down at an angle so you can see the curb, this is for reversing around a cornor, you don't really need one, as some cars dont have it, use your rear view mirror instead, but pretend that you can see through it as normal, examiner sits too close to mirror to know any difference.

MOST IMPORTANT.

if you think you have made a mistake, keep on going like you never did anything wrong, like hit a curb, keep going like it never happened, 80% of ppl who do something like that, loose faith in them selves and fail, positive drivers will pass.

Good Luck.......... Let us all know how you did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you've done 40,000 miles in the last 1.5 years you should come out laughing at the simplicity. As a driving instructor said to me: Its simple to drop all your bad habits for the 30-45 mins, and then once you pass, you can adopt them all again :D As others have said:
    make sure everything in your car works, that's one reason you really don't want to fail without being given a chance.

Make sure your L-plates still stick to your windows!!! I put mine on that morning, it involved some serious rubbing with a towel to get the corners to stay down! :D

Ummm....reverse into the parking space (straight).....
    Have your mirrors adjusted before you move out........
    If you are stopping at a junction and there is a cycle path on the road you are coming onto, don't stop on the cycle path, stop before it, or instant failure..........
    When stopped in traffic, the rear wheels of the vehicle in front should be fully visible over your bonnet..........
    When pulling out from the kerb, always look over your shoulder just before you pull out, and if you don't pull out straight away, you must look again, and again, etc.......
    Avoid overtaking unless you have been reduced to a crawl and it doesn't look like the object will get out of your way anytime soon.....
    Never go into 5th gear. Ever. If you're on a DC with speed limit 50-60, stay in fourth and ride it out at 45-50mph, they won't keep you long on the DC anyway. This is what I was told re the tallaght course........
    When switching lanes to turn right/left, indicate, switch lanes, then turn off your indicator, and back on to indicate turning the corner.......
    Hand signals - a friend of mine only found out about them the day before...........
    Reversing around a corner - if another car is coming, stop. Proceed when the car is gone........
    2nd gear on roundabouts. Know roundabout indications - most Irish drivers I've seen haven't a clue (I could probably have an argument with someone on the boards who thinks they know it). If you don't know them, post again, and I'll tell you :).........
    You probably will know your car make/model, but just for reference, if you don't, they won't take you out in it (a strange rule).............

That's about all I can think of...the stuff that I didn't know until I went to do it.

G'Luck...given the amount of driving you've done, you will sail through it :)

Excellent tips lads, it's on tommorow and apart from my normal beloved Caddy being in the garage for repairs (damned water pump) and having to drive a completely different car, I feel strangely confident.

All of yesterday and today I've been driving like there's a test instructor in the car. Feels wierd not steering with one hand on the wheel and checking my mirrors like a paranoid pyscho.

Will let yiz know how it turns out.

FÚCKING TOYOTA COROLLA FRONT LEFT INDICATOR BULB! WAS FÚCKING WORKING LAST FÚCKING NIGHT!

Passed the FÚCKING rules of the road no bother.

FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING BOLLOX!

amp - not a FÚCKING happy camper.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I passed first time when i was 19 (started at 18) it took a year for the test..

Anyway here are the basics.. firstly you BETTER get pre-test lessons.... they work! Trust me, they bring you out in your test area and tell you how to pass the test.

When i had mine it was raining so before i got in the car i got a cloth and wiped my mirrors.. yup i sucked up big time. Then made sure the instructor was wearing a seatbelt and away we went.. drove confidently and just under the speed limit of the road.. as was said above do NOT crawl along or your screwed... an unsure driver is an unsafe driver!

Anyway not much too it! just do what your driving instructor told you and the tester also.. if he says something.. i clarified what he wanted done to make certain i heard him right and by no means did that count against me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Neil3030
    What happened?

car must be in perfect driving condition.. broken indicator light is a big no no im guessing he failed or it could not go ahead as a result?

Saramun is entirely correct. And now..... whiskey. And lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Most unlucky, well you will be more wiser next time, best thing to do is to apply again today, while everything is in your mind.

Better luck next time......

Originally posted by amp
    FÚCKING TOYOTA COROLLA FRONT LEFT INDICATOR BULB! WAS FÚCKING WORKING LAST FÚCKING NIGHT!

Passed the FÚCKING rules of the road no bother.

FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING FÚCKING BOLLOX!

amp - not a FÚCKING happy camper.

Advertisement