Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC's and the LC

Options
  • 02-02-2002 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

With the LC just around the corner, I was wondering...

those of you with PC's....how long do you spend playing games / surfing the net ???

I don't count "educational" stuff.....ie. using Word etc...

I mean pissing about on your PC.

How much hassle do you get for being on the PC ??

I know for me it's really pi$$ing me off.....
    No net during the week but when the weekend comes round, it's like, "5 more mins" or "get off that" or "you can't be on for long"....

Am I alone ???? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Kaimera

I don't count "educational" stuff.....ie. using Word etc...

Lol, what could possibly be educational about using Word?:D The only time I used the computer to help with school work was to make up some timetables. If you're writing notes in word, you're wasting time (unless it's revision). :) Luckily I hadn't discovered boards.ie when I was doing my leaving, so net access consisted of looking at buyandsell.net and download.com so it didn't waste much time. That said, my parents had a rule of net access only after 9pm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yup, I have to put up with this all the time. Family members complaining about the use of the phone line, mostly. Oh and the old square eyes shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by seamus

Lol, what could possibly be educational about using Word?

Typing classes maybe ???!! :p

EcDl computer course?

Ahhh.....
    the good ol square eyes line....*sighs*
    it's been a while since that was said to me......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by seamus

That said, my parents had a rule of net access only after 9pm.......

My parents have the same rule except i must be on for 10 minutes max :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thomas Kelly

My parents where the very same years ago, but being the cheeky little brath i was I use to run extensions up under the carpet and belive me a 12 year old does not do a good job at it, i could then go online at night. I remember one night I was about 14 my mam and dad decided to go out for a meal and they took the phone off the hook and locked their room. I only went out side to the front door their is a kinda wall on the right you know the sort, small brown brick wall that separates houses. On the wall stood two white boxes the larger of the two was for the ESB and the other one for the telephone company I opened the telephone companys box and pulled my neigbours which was a doctor at the time phone cables into my box cut them with a steak knife cut the top off the extension cable and done my own wiring job after about 20 minites of fixing the four wires together I got the modem dialing stayed on for two hours put the wires back. Then listened to the next door neigbours telling my dad how their phone wires where cut. Man we do silly things as kids but i got away with it. Oh wait a sec I am in no way telling you to do this. Oh god look what I done.

Best Regards

Tommy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well i found at home all i'd ever do is play games on pc so i'm in study till 10pm mon - friday, 9am - 5pm on sat and 12pm - 4:30 on sun...so while at home i do sweet **** all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah i get some serious **** about using the computer at home: Do study, you'll break ur eyes, i need to use the phone, look at the phone bill
    But what really pisses me off is i do evening study in school so my home time is free time and im only in 5th year, Also i usuall get good results i t PISSEs me off no wnd. I dont even use the computer that much, im agone the horror if i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Compared to you lot I have it great :). I spent my earnings from summer work 2 years ago on my own pc and set it up in my room with an isdn line extension from downstairs, and I must say it's great. Nobody ever comes upstairs to hassle me, so once I'm in my room I can watch TV, surf the net, play games, listen to music and watch DVDs all on the PC, and I have a nice pair of headphones too so nobody is any the wiser. Having said that, I don't pretend to do any study, I just tell the parents the truth, they know I haven't done any study at all so far, even during the mocks, but as long as they don't actually see me dossing around downstairs they don't seem to mind, out of sight out of mind :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yup you're lucky like that, I do the same thing - pc in the room, network/phone line up here, DVD drive, headphones.. execept that people won't just fsck off and leave me alone, generally during a TFC/CS game when I'm trying to concentrate and hear footsteps...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'm at the other end of my house so my parents don't usually come down to me and tell me to get off. Sometimes they ring my mobile and tell me to go study.
    I do 4 - 6pm every weekday and then 8 - 9.30pm each weeknight and then the weekend depends if im out or not.
    I have isdn so i can use one line and keep the main one open but the headphones i got can be heard at the otherend of the house which is 75ft away i think. (the house is 5k square ft).
    Can't wait till the LC is over so i can go back to the 48h sessions or listen for the birds to know when to goto bed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement