Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for book references...

Options
  • 01-02-2002 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get back into programming, but the last thing I did was a ****ty modula II programming course at uni.

I did a lot as a kid and wanted to get into the modern languages and have something I can use to punt myself off in the programming work area.

OK i'll sound totaly thick here cause I don't know what's being used atm. I've been well out of the loop. I've heard C++ is the way to go.

I'm also looking at courses on java and C++ atm cause I heard that they are usefull but I really want to do this alone without courses.

I need to know the best languages to get into and any beginner to advanced (I learn really fast) books I can go out and buy that will include everything I need (Including compiling s/w if needed)

I know some people have said to me that I need to get a basis in object orientation or something but like I said if I have a pure beginner book that can go to advanced then I can get through it very quickly.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

Dietel & Dietel. How to program C++. ISBN 0-13-089571-7
    Pretice Hall are the publishers.

In my opinion this is the best C++ programming book on the market. It starts right at the basics and brings you right through to using the STL (Standard Template Library).
    It also teaches everything in the context of object orientation. If you get the Third edition, it even teaches you UML (Unified Modelling Language), which is largely accepted to be the best design language/tool available.

I would be hesitant to go and learn Java at the moment with .NET now released. I have a feeling Java might fade away, except for on the Linux side of things.

If you really want to be adventurous, you could just learn C#, I see no reason why the language won't take off. I couldn't recommend any books though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

Thinking in C++
    and
    Thinking in Java

Available free on the internet at http://www.bruceeckel.com/

two of the best books available for learning the languages as he explains everything much more clearly than any other book and it also gets reasonably advanced after a time.

Afterwards it's time to reach for the bibles such as
    Design Patterns by Gamma et al. but there is no better base for Java and C++ than those two books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yep go for bruce eckel if youre strapped for cash, and if not go for the deitels, as bruce eckels books are free and you can have both.

I'm pretty sure that the deitel books also come with compilers so theres everything you need right there.

Oh and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

a few free books

for the record, i'd still go with Java - C# is so similar it it you'd cross between them easlity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Umm personally I found all the Dietel & Dietel I looked at rather terrribe, making things more compliacted than they need be.

Since Java and C++ are very similar you'll switch from one to the other without any hassle anyway, so it's not a big deal which you learn.

I'd recommend "Core Java" volumes 1 & 2 for learnign Java. Its a bit expensive buying both, but you will have two huge books which cover everything in nice detail. I thought it was great from both a beginner and more advanced perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

GREAT :)

So it is true then that C++ would be the best language to get into at the moment?

Like I said i've been out of the loop of languages too long and it's just getting a foot int he door and I should be fine.

I've been advised before on career choices for computers and it led me the wrong way...

Advertisement