Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save The Slate

Options
  • 31-01-2002 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

This is an emotional plea from the editor of The Slate:

In case you weren’t aware, The Slate has been banned from UCD by a load of f**king assholes - namely the College authorities.

The college have given no valid reason why students are to be deprived of their natural right to read The Slate. Instead they have told lies and contradicted themselves in a desperate attempt to explain this bizarre decision.

But we in The Slate have refused to take this nonsense lying down, and will be showing up at lunchtime on Friday (1st of February) to give out our new issue in defiance of the dickhead authorities.

Able-bodied helpers will be needed for the task, so we are calling on all outraged readers to show up and do their bit. This will involve:

Taking bundles of magazines and giving them to anyone in your vicinity

Getting drunk by lunchtime

Attacking and Jeering any authorities who try to stop the fun

Making as much noise as possible

The action will be taking place outside Hilpers in the Arts Block, so make sure you are there with your maddest mates and a satchel full of water bombs, rotten fruit and extra-loud fireworks.

Come along and get your free copy before the authorities get their hands on them and burn them like the Nazis burned banned books in the 1930s

Even if you don’t give a f**k, come along anyway and see us annoying security guards, blowing up bits of the campus and generally having a laugh.

If you are interested in helping to right this terrible injustice, email us and we will give you a central role in the mayhem.

editor@theslate.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Von
    The college have given no valid reason why students are to be deprived of their natural right to read The Slate. Instead they have told lies and contradicted themselves in a desperate attempt to explain this bizarre decision.

Heh. Pity he didnt tell us what the lies and contradictions are, and why they are so wrong. I cant remember the last time someone fought being shut down by saying "they are right in their assessment, but we still dont agree".

in defiance of the dickhead authorities.
    Attacking and Jeering any authorities who try to stop the fun
    so make sure you are there with your maddest mates and a satchel full of water bombs, rotten fruit and extra-loud fireworks.
    see us annoying security guards, blowing up bits of the campus and generally having a laugh.
    If you are interested in helping to right this terrible injustice, email us and we will give you a central role in the mayhem.

Right - this may be an emotional article, but from reading it, I would tend to side with the authorities initially. This editor is coming across as the "not-so-peaceful-protestor" type. Actually, he's coming across (to me) as an anti-establishment a$$hole.

Maybe he just lacks the ability to write clearly when he feels strongly about someone, but that mail (and his suggested actions) are doing his cause no favours. This guy is saupposed to be an editor?

When I was in uni (UL - 90 to 94) the student body took on the administration on a number of issues. In all cases, it was emphasised before the event by the organisers that it would be peaceful and properly run. The turnout of thousands of students was enough to show the body politic that there was huge support for the issue.

This guy is rabble-rousing. Without knowing the reasons for the shut-down (which he forgot to include), I tend to find it hard to have any sympathy for him.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume this is becuse of the blow-job / "alleged prostitution" story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hell i dont even go t ucd and i know that story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't, do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

As someone whose company advertises in the Slate and who knows the guys personally I would be 100% behind them on this. The story's they told about UCD although satirical in nature were, to my knowledge, completely true. The fact that the college authorities don't like the mag, in a free society, is not reason enough to ban it. The college needs to cope on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If that is the standard of the Slate then it does need saving, from its editor. Sounds like a typical run of the mill arts student to me. And they wonder why theyre not taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm closing this because to be honest he is whinging about his little student mag been closed down and not telling us why it is been. I'm sorry but "help me, help me, I'm been oppressed" doesn't work on me.

Also the fact he is asking whether in jest or not for people to
    The action will be taking place outside Hilpers in the Arts Block, so make sure you are there with your maddest mates and a satchel full of water bombs, rotten fruit and extra-loud fireworks.
    Come along and get your free copy before the authorities get their hands on them and burn them like the Nazis burned banned books in the 1930s
    Even if you don’t give a f**k, come along anyway and see us annoying security guards, blowing up bits of the campus and generally having a laugh.

Really invalidates any arguement he has.

If he wants to come to boards.ie and post his grivence in an educated and logical manner by all means I'll allow him to do so. And if there is a case then I'll support him. The only reason I'm leaving this thread in place and not sending it to the recycle bin is a warning to any more of you Army surplus Jacket wearing Arts students types to think before you post. Von please next time tell him to post any propaganda here himself.

Gandalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement