Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Indymedia Centre opened today

Options
  • 31-01-2002 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

For those of you interested, www.indymedia.ie is finally up and running. It's fully functional and is ready to take stories now!

Anyone involved who reads boards.ie: well done!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Hopefully it'll carry more than just coverage of the latest protests. Indymedia sites tend to be long on the "I just got beaten up" aspect, and a bit short on being, well, a full independent media. Eh, medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I can see this site being quoted a lot on these boards. It showcases protest stories that might not otherwise be publicly available beyond your local leftwing website, which is new. At least it gathers them altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yup, shotamoose, that's a real problem with Indymedia. Instead of it being a true alternative to institutionalised, business-like media, it's marginalised itself and stigmatised itself as a news service which reports mostly on things that aren't particularly groundbreaking or important in the big scheme of things.

All they seem to do is cover protests. They don't endeavour to report an unbiased view of 'normal' happenings too. Maybe they should get someone to sit in the various tribunals every day etc.

Indymedia's myopia in this regard (or maybe it's fixation on the fleeting spirit of the times instead of real news) is bringing the whole network down and is certainly diminishing its real potential.

I really hope they don't just cover protests - that's just too easy.

Advertisement