Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Musicians Ever?

Options
  • 29-01-2002 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Guitarist -- Rory Gallagher
    Pop Band -- U2
    Rock Band -- Thin Lizzy
    Traditional band -- Dubliners
    Male Singer Songwriter -- Van Morrison
    Female Singer Songwriter -- Enya ?

[IMG]C:\WINNT\Profiles\031nd2\Desktop\rory.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Agree with you 100% on the lizzy front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by donegal

[IMG]C:\WINNT\Profiles\031nd2\Desktop\rory.jpg[/IMG]

No despute there.

I think the Pogues should get a mention somehwere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donegal

The Pogues had incredibily slipped my mind but since Shane mc Gowan rules they may just have nudged out the Dubliners if i wrote the list again.

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Male Singer Songwriter -- Van Morrison

Hmmm... methinks Christy Moore is better than him.

Female Singer Songwriter -- Enya ?

What about Delores O' Riordan?

Rock Band -- Thin Lizzy

Personally I'd agree, but there is some great competition, like Ash, the Horslips, the Cranberries, or the Frames for example...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think Shane MacGowan was the best songwriter ever, songs like "a pair of brown eyes" prove that.

Maybe Sinéad O' Connor for best female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I have to agree with Van Morrison as the best singer songwriter. I'd have to nominate his 'Astral Weeks' as best Irish album of all time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I don't agree with Christy Moore as singer/songwriter scuzzy. I know the man fairly well in real life so i'm a big fan of his, but he is neither a good singer nor a good song writer, he belongs in a seperate topic: Best Solo Entertainer

He wrote none of his good songs, Missing You, The Mad Lady and Me, Ride On are all by Jimmy MacCarthy. City of Chicago was written by his brother Luka Bloom wasn't it? The old stuff he sang was mostly folk songs and stuff he didn't write at all, and the new stuff is woeful. Hes definitely not a good song writer.

As for singer... his voice is original but not very good. And hes not a good guitarist either, i was at his house once while he was having a seisiún with my brother and some others and he couldn't even match my bro on the guitar who was only a youngfella :)

I don't like Van Morrison very much, but his style is every bit as unique as christy's and hes a far superior song writer, look at the quality of the stuff he has written and try to compare anything Christy wrote with it. no contest imo

I do like Shane MacGowan, his songs are l33t and i like his singing so i'd put give him the title

And Thin Lizzy > Ash, the Horslips, the Cranberries, or the Frames

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Enya!! woo woo woo :D

and i would put the Chieftans in instead of the Dubliners because Ronny Drew = pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What about mary black, i think she at least beats sinead

• Advertisement

Mary black instead of sinead?!?! What good song has she ever written? her voice is nothing special and she kills her songs by overdosing them with drama and loud breathing nnnnnnngggggggghhh. Sinead in the other hand is a great singer who has done some great songs done that she didn't write on the first album, and some very decent songs that she did write on more recent albums. and sinead has a distinct voice and a lot of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Pop Band -- U2
    Rock Band -- Thin Lizzy
    Traditional band -- Chieftans
    Male Singer Songwriter -- Shane MacGowan
    Female Singer Songwriter -- Sinead O' Connor
    Punk Band - Pogues

Ok I couldn't fit the Pogues in to any of those catogories but they needed to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

all round best ever irish band...
    Microdisney

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Odd that noone has mentioned the Boomtown Rats yet seeing as they wrote one of the best songs ever.

Female Singer Songwriter -- Sinead O' Connor, not sure on that one, Nothing compares to you was after all written by prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Best Irish Musician of all time has to be Barney McKenna. and for those that don't know him he's the banjo player with the Dubliners

Best Irish Song writer has to be Shane MacGowan

Female Singer has to be Sinead O'Connor

Trad Band has to be Cheiftains

Guitarist Has to be Rory Gallagher

And The Best Thing Irish has to be THE POGUES (thats how you fit them in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Well I wont make an undisputable best list but my favorites are:

Guitarist -- I really like David Odlum's style
    Pop Band -- U2 (cliche but one of my favorite bands)
    Rock Band -- Thin Lizzy (agreed)
    Traditional band -- gotta go with the Pogues
    Male Singer Songwriter -- he may not ne the best ever but Emmett Tinley of The Prayer Boat deserves a nod. Van Morrison probably takes the all time honour.
    Female Singer Songwriter -- Sinead O'Conner (obnoxious but VERY talented)

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

I don't agree with Christy Moore as singer/songwriter scuzzy. I know the man fairly well in real life so i'm a big fan of his, but he is neither a good singer nor a good song writer, he belongs in a seperate topic: Best Solo Entertainer

He wrote none of his good songs, Missing You, The Mad Lady and Me, Ride On are all by Jimmy MacCarthy. City of Chicago was written by his brother Luka Bloom wasn't it? The old stuff he sang was mostly folk songs and stuff he didn't write at all, and the new stuff is woeful. Hes definitely not a good song writer.

As for singer... his voice is original but not very good. And hes not a good guitarist either, i was at his house once while he was having a seisiún with my brother and some others and he couldn't even match my bro on the guitar who was only a youngfella

I don't like Van Morrison very much, but his style is every bit as unique as christy's and hes a far superior song writer, look at the quality of the stuff he has written and try to compare anything Christy wrote with it. no contest imo

:confused: meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Best Irish Band overall - U2
    Best Irish Pop Band - Westlife
    Best Irish Rock Band - Thin Lizzy (definitely true)
    Best Modern Irish Band - The Script
    Best Irish Trad Band - De Dannan
    Best Irish guitarist - Rory Gallagher or The Edge
    Best Irish Songwriter - Jimmy MacCarthy
    Best Irish Male Singer - Tommy Fleming
    Best Irish Female Singer - Nadine Coyle
    Best Irish Entertainer - Christy Moore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

harVee wrote: »
    all round best ever irish band...
    Microdisney

Followed by Fatima Mansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What about;
    My Bloody Valentine
    Kevin Shields (anyone else invent their own way of playing guitar?)
    John Field
    Aphex Twin (born in Limerick)?

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    What about;
    My Bloody Valentine
    John Field
    Aphex Twin (born in Limerick)?

I hate to say it because I know MBV are held in high respect but I don't believe I've ever heard their work. I'm missing out, aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

old hippy wrote: »
    I hate to say it because I know MBV are held in high respect but I don't believe I've ever heard their work. I'm missing out, aren't I?

I love them, and lots of people do as well, but I'd imagine it's the kind of thing that if you're not enjoying it, you'd be going "Why is this good?".

Give this one a go;

I love them, and lots of people do as well, but I'd imagine it's the kind of thing that if you're not enjoying it, you'd be going "Why is this good?".

Give this one a go;

Ah! I remember that; yeah, like it. Sounds like a cross between That Petrol Emotion and Cocteau Twins. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

rock band, thin lizzy,by a country mile..
    guitarist... gary moore..
    female singer.. sinead o connor
    male singer/songwriter.. shane mcgowan
    pop band... icon5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

What about;
    My Bloody Valentine

Totally agree. Those guitar sounds on Loveless are out of this world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The thread said Best Irish Musicians Ever and I immediately thought of jazz guitar legend Louis Stewart and then as I read through the thread I saw the word Westlife and now I'm sorry I even bothered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

scuzzy wrote: »
    Hmmm... methinks Christy Moore is better than him.

What about Delores O' Riordan?

Personally I'd agree, but there is some great competition, like Ash, the Horslips, the Cranberries, or the Frames for example...
    Christy moore maybe only in ireland, gallagher is an international superstar with over 30m album sales?

Delores ? not sure about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Female Singer Songwriter -- Sinead O' Connor, not sure on that one, Nothing compares to you was after all written by prince.

She does have more songs than that one;)

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Liam O' Maonlai deserves a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Best Irish Pop Band - U2
    Best Irish Rock Band - Thin Lizzy
    Best Modern Irish Band - Snow Patrol
    Best Irish Trad Band - Wolfe Tones
    Best Irish guitarist - Rory Gallagher

Advertisement