Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ànyone recommend any good books for ARM asm?

Options
  • 29-01-2002 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

or sites?

I found a couple, but just curious if anyone has done any ARM development and recommend anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

werid, the A has a thingy on top? wonder how that happend?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,409 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Re: A: lol, what kind of "programmer" are you Hobbes? :)

Back on topic, no ARM, but I'm interested in finding out what other kind of assemblers people have done. I've mucked about with S370/390 (@ last work), x86@ college & looked at a bit of sparc asm here.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Currently checking out HLA, which is based on microsofts MASM (x86 assembler), just for the shear fun of it. HLA gives you a pascal like syntax and helps keep things a little, higher level, simply for readability. You can still do the usual assembly like stuff and the biggest bonus is it comes with a free 1500 page pdf file, which is essentially a gigantic college text book that walks through any beginner on just about every topic there is.

Micro to thank for the link:
    http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_AoA/0_AoAHLA.html

It seems this guy has devoted his life to this book and assembler - its a one stop solution for someone like me.

Originally posted by Greenbean

Micro to thank for the link:
    http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_AoA/0_AoAHLA.html

Hey cool, I was just on that site! Ammo for the "Internet Programming" thread (see the GreatDebate section).

Hobbes: back-off! Or there will be serious recriminations :)

Al.

• Advertisement

Well I post looking for peoples opinions, suggestions on ARM and you subvert my thread. :p

I have no problem with that, but just seems lately people tend to hijack other threads rather then start a new one.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Well I post looking for peoples opinions, suggestions on ARM and you subvert my thread. :p

I have no problem with that, but just seems lately people tend to hijack other threads rather then start a new one.

Damn, he noticed. :/

Read the pints thread on AH.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

ARM is certainly interesting if you plan on developing applications for embedded products such as laptops, PDA's and cell phones, its design is used by many companies today.
    I can't reccomend any books though, maybe you should check out the reviews of ARM books on Amazon.com?
    I've touched on m68k, z80, 6502, 8051 assembler, but i'm mostly familiar with IA-32 and currently interested in Intels new Itanium Architecture.
    As for SPARC, MIPS..etc, I don't see any reason why people shouldn't learn a little on every CPU available today, its not hard to learn another assembler once you are familiar with one already, it can be a real eye opener to the inner workings of a computer and operating system and the main thing is that you learn alot.
    Thats my 2 cents.

That book is absolutely fantastic...so comprehensive, fair play to the guy responsible, great book to read...everything is in it!

Originally posted by Trojan

Damn, he noticed. :/

Read the pints thread on AH.

Al.

Waaa I thought today was the 31st! :cry:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hobbes

Waaa I thought today was the 31st! :cry:

Damn those off-by-one errors :)

Al.