Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuala O'Loan should resign

Options
  • 26-01-2002 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Nuala O'Loan should resign for two reasons. First she overstepped the mark in investigating the handling of the Omagh bombing in the first place. The purpose of her office is to investigate claims that the police infringed on people's human rights, not to examine police efficiency. What she did simply discredits the role of the ombudsman. And secondly, she can no longer hold the trust of vast sections of the community in NI (probably the majority) to act fairly and impartially in investigating complaints against the police, thanks to the ridiculous conclusions she came to in her report.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Biffa I think your asking the wrong person to resign. Ronnie Flanagan should go. I don't know who asked her to investigate the Police on the Omagh bombing but I would guess it was one of the relatives.

If you had a loved one blown to pieces and felt the police were not doing everything in their power to find the murderers then you could argue that they were infringing on your human rights with regard to Justice.

Remember Nuala O'Loan (dunno if I have her name spelt correctly) had a full team of experience investigators behind including Police officers from UK forces. They actually showed that the RUC (now PSNI) Special Branch had a fore warning of the bombing and because of inefficiencies in communications did not pass the info onto the RUC in Omagh.

If anything she should be applauded for showing serious problems between departments in the PSNI.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I don't know who asked her to investigate the Police on the Omagh bombing but I would guess it was one of the relatives.
    No one did, she decided to investigate it off her own bat, even though it wasn't her place to do so.
    If you had a loved one blown to pieces and felt the police were not doing everything in their power to find the murderers then you could argue that they were infringing on your human rights with regard to Justice.
    The police know who did it, they just don't have enough evidence to convict. They are doing everything they can to prosecute these people. Although there were some deficiencies in the investigative process this does not amount to deliberate obstruction of justice.
    They actually showed that the RUC (now PSNI) Special Branch had a fore warning of the bombing and because of inefficiencies in communications did not pass the info onto the RUC in Omagh.
    They did not, they cobbled together two vague warnings from two unreliable witnesses and somehow decided that this amounted to forewarning.

Advertisement