Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bikes and De-restricting..what is it?

Options
  • 25-01-2002 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭

Have seen several posts where de-restricting has been mentioned, reading these it seems apparent that this means (i think ) that some engines though they are more powerful may be manually "restriced" to a lower cc rating? Is this correct?

If so, how does one know what is a bigger engine than rated, and also if you desrestrict a big engine, and you bump into a car, surely this invalidates the insurance?

Eg my Virago 125, engine looks huge for a wee 125..is it possibly a biger engine that the manufacturer has restricted for simplicity of marketing (rather than engineering a whole new smaller engine)

TBH wouldn't restrict this even if it were possible as the power suits me fine atm, don't think i'm a skilled enough driver to handle much bigger , and thats afer over a year of driving, but maybe i'm cautious, and showing my age (probably why my insurance is ~£450 comp on a provisional license living in Dublin city centre).

So what does de-restricting mean..supercharging a small engine, or releasing a bigger one?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Restricting doesn't affect the cc of the engine. It's to
    do with how much power the bike outputs. If you're driving
    on an A licence, you're restricted to no more than 25kW or
    about 33bhp. Your XV125 puts out about 10bhp, and AFAICR,
    the XV250 puts out about 15bhp, so it doesn't really affect
    you. As for getting more power out of your bike, I suppose
    you could get it bored out or something, I dont really know
    that much about these things :) Not sure why you'd want to
    though. If you want something bigger, get a bigger bike :)
    As for insurance, power output isn't something that can
    be tested at the side of the road. Gardai don't have bhp
    checkpoints :) Insurance companies charge you regardless
    of what restrictors you have in place. I got quoted £3000+
    on a CBR600F, when I told them it'd be restricted to no
    more than 33bhp, they said "ah sure we know how easy it is
    for ye to take them off". I think those two reasons combined
    would make a lot of people not bother restricting their bike,
    even if it is a legal requirement... *shrug*. As for the
    restrictors themselves, they're intended to limit how much power the engine can produce
    so exhaust, throttle, etc, all likely places.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeh what he said. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

The only real reason for fitting a restricter is to make your bike "legal".

There are several different ways to restrict bikes, but restricting the engine capacity isn't one of them. The cc rating of a bike refers to the displacement of the engine, which cannot be easily altered.

Restricter types and installations vary... anything from restricting your speed and rpm to limiting your cylinders fuel and air intake... it depends on your engine and your bike.

It is not however something you need to do to a 125 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah just like my 40hp bike that should have been restricted to 33hp when I bought it... good job it wasnt tho....

mwahahah

regarding getting more power out of your bike.. if u fit different exhausts normally it gives u a slight hp increase but nothing magical. you'd normally have to re-jet anyway and if u fit exhausts that let the engine breathe too easily u'll just screw the engine in the long run... so just get a bigger bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Giz a bell I need ya :)

I want yoour bodeh...

etc...

Soz for the off topic stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement