Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux code editor

Options
  • 24-01-2002 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I'm running redhat 6.2 and am currently using gnotepad+ to do my C coding in. I was using a great little environment called xwpe before but for some reason i'm having trouble running it on my installation (i've a thread on the unix board about it).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent editor for coding in. All the graphical text editors packaged with redhat are fairly useless and I don't have time to get to grips with emacs or vi right now.

Basically i'm looking for a graphical one, which supports opening multiple files at once, shows line numbers and syntax highlighting. I need it to have an rpm install as I've no experience installing stuff in linux. It doesn't need to have a compiler or anything built in as i'm using makefiles to compile.

Can anyone recommend anything and give me a url of where i can get it. It would be much appreciated as i've a lot of coding to do and gnotepad will soon drive me mad. :)

Alb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was always using notepad in windoze, so the tetx editor thing in Linux confused me. I've found vi easy though....all you need are a few simple commands:

Insert key - Insert Mode
    Esc Key - Viewing mode(Turn off insert mode)

Once in Viewing mode:

:wq - Save and quit

:w - Save(write)

:q! - Quit without saving

:q - Quit (if youhaven't made any changes).

And that's all I really need for it to be faster even than notepad or gnotepad+ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I always found Vi/Vim a pain in the arse cos there were so many commands to learn jsut to do something simple. Pico and Nano are quite decent and no complicated key combinations required...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Well vi is grand for editing text files, but it doesn't do any of things i want in a graphical programming enviroment like i described in my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

erm the 7.2 version (I have) comes with a full IDE for C++.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm did someone say GLIMMER?
    Or how about kDevelop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

vi

that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

vim will do all the things you mentioned above (multiple files & syntax high-lighting etc)
    get a .exrc from the net and it'll set the options for you.

if you're in a rush look for gvim - it's like vim
    but in the windows stylee. you can just use the mouse ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 thereal_unsane

dude ignore these wack non english speaking mother****ers. Props to the head that said KDevelop, it's down.

As for all the other bizzithces, when a brother says he dont want no Vi or Emacs, a brother means he dont want no Vi or Emacs.

Nigga better regulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Baz_ vi
    jed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by thereal_unsane
    dude ignore these wack non english speaking mother****ers. Props to the head that said KDevelop, it's down.

As for all the other bizzithces, when a brother says he dont want no Vi or Emacs, a brother means he dont want no Vi or Emacs.

Nigga better regulate.

watch Jay and Silent Bob much??

• Advertisement

Cheers everybody, the graphical version of Vim looks like exactly what i'm working for. Any idea's what version will definitely work with redhat 6.2? or even better a link to an rpm aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

What about some of the Java editors like Jext or Netbeans (Forte)?
    Both will run on Linux and they're easy enough to install.

As for vi and Emacs, I'm an Emacs man myself, using the JDE it's just as good as JBuilder or any other IDE (for my purposes anways).
    I wouldn't put either one down because of the number of commands you need to learn to do something simple. Spend a week with either one and you'll apreciate the fact that you never need to remove your hands form the keyboard or even look away from the screen. It'll become instinct after two weeks and you'll find yourself ":q!"-ing or "C-x C-c"-ing in other editors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shamrock

Ever try Ajunta... fairly good. Handels all manner of programming languages. It's basically an IDE fronted for the g++ compiler. AS far as I know it should run fine on 6.2. I have it on M8.1 and it works like a charm.. unlike that kdevelop.... araaaaaaagggghhhhhhh:confused:

Cheers everybody, but since gvim was already installed and seems to do more or less everything i want it to, I'm going to stick with it. The work needs to be done in 2 weeks time so I've to get moving very quickly.
    One question for the gvim fans though. When I open multiple files it automatically tiles them. Is it possible to have like tabs at the top instead to switch between the files. I'm running a low res and with any more than two open, they become too small. At the moment i'm just opening multiple gvims to get around it is there a better solution?

Alb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

hmm, not quite what you want, i.e. no tabs, however...
    you could start gvim as gvim file1 file2 file3
    and then use :next and :previous
    to switch between the different files.

For some reason "next" and "previous" under the "window" menu don't seem to work this way
    on my version at least...
    assuming thats what their ment to do... :)

Personally I just use vim on a single file in multiple xterms...
    I've never really had to have 2 files open together though...
    The nearest I come is having to suspend/foreground various invocations of vim,
    or using different desktops....

<edit> silly smilies invading my :previous >:| </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,409 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you're looking for project-manglement style features of an IDE, I'd recommend KDevelop ( www.kdevelop.org ). It supports a lot of different languages from C to Java to Fortran afaik. Here's a screenie from the site (warning: bigish). http://www.kdevelop.org/graphics/pic_corner/kdevelop-2.0.gif

Al.

Yeh, cool, someone had a Kdevelop rpm handy at work so i gave it a try aswell. Fairly nice I must say but a couple of things bug me a bit. I've a fairly old version of it anyway. It and gvim are great though, I'm happy enough with either now.

Advertisement