Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS failure - Eircom?

Options
  • 24-01-2002 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I noticed last night and again this morning before i left for work, I was getting timeouts on my mail client, connecting to IOL and Eircom.

I popped into CMD and tried a few pings - reliable ones - www.eircom.net, www.iol.ie and www.ireland.com - no such host.

This was after my first reboot in 4 days consistently connected on ADSL. I tried logging in again, was assigned a new IP address - but again the same. Anyone else notice any problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i know that some ppl are having troubles accessing eircoms home page with ADSL

give em a rant

have you tried webmail.eircom.net , or webmail.iolfree.ie [or watever it is] as a last resort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Odd thing is, eircom.ie is fine with me for the last week or so. Webmail at eircom seems to be knac&*%^ whilst webmail.iol.ie is fine.

I'll give them a bell this evening.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

lots of little issues with DNS and mail timeouts over the last 48 hours. It always seems to be fine on second or third attempt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I'm having problems looking at lots of websites over the last few days too on eircom. Very annoying, how long do they usually take to fix things like this? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

me, nore my friend were able to access the net last night on adsl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Me too until 10pm had the engaged number on my 56k modem.
    It was working after that. (Eircom)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

If it seems to be a dns problem, just change name servers.

eircoms primary and secondary.

namserver 159.134.237.6
    namserver 159.134.237.17

IOL's primary

just mix and match and u can usually come up with a winniing combo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

A mate of mine is working in eircom part time and on thursday he was bitching about the fact that something went down on wednesday night and caused alot of hassle. I think he said something about problems in the knock, which is the eircom housing centre in Crown Alley so I'd say that its gonna be a few days till they're back up to par lads. Thats all i know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

There was a prob with one of the Eircom.net core machines early on Thursday morning, which kept re-occuring throughout the day. All details are available on the eircomnet.support NG for those who are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Baldy
    A mate of mine is working in eircom part time and on thursday he was bitching about the fact that something went down on wednesday night and caused alot of hassle. I think he said something about problems in the knock, which is the eircom housing centre in Crown Alley so I'd say that its gonna be a few days till they're back up to par lads.
    That should be NOC (as in Network Operations Center) :)

There were problems for the past few days with eicom.net dialup, but their leased lines have been fine.

• Advertisement

Just tried something - disabled the proxy in Control Panel - Intenet options - connections- on the ADSL - can't see the URL.

It's ok if I activate it again. Is it just loading it from the cache all the time, I wonder?

IOL works perfectly well without the proxy, as does http://www.eircom.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea, what was the purpose of the webcache.eircom.net proxy? I disabled it ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

This is a webcache that they have on their LAN.
    Every time you access a page it caches it and hopes that someone else will ask for that page also. It helps them reduce the amount of outgoing bandwidth since frequently accesed pages are in the cache. It may also speed up your netaccess. You should probably leave it enabled unless it causes you problems.

Originally posted by bricks
    This is a webcache that they have on their LAN.
    Every time you access a page it caches it and hopes that someone else will ask for that page also. It helps them reduce the amount of outgoing bandwidth since frequently accesed pages are in the cache. It may also speed up your netaccess. You should probably leave it enabled unless it causes you problems.

Erm - ta. I know what proxies are there for.

We were discussing a specific issue using the proxy which is installed by default using the i-Stream software. The URL http://www.eircom.ie seems to need the cache to be able to find the page. When the proxy isn't there, the page can't be found, for some bizarre reason.

I appreciate why an ISP would use a proxy, but can't for the life of me figure out why this URL seems to be only available using the cache server.

We were trying to figure out why this is the case. - -maybe it's a misconfiguration, God knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

lads..people..

its down again toinght tue 27th its 21:30.

I rang em..its a nation wide problem..

back workin as i type this...

said they were working on the problem..

we may just hang on and wait..

matt

note: since its nationwide problem..im sure it will be fixed very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

It seems to be down again 03-Sep 20:50 I can only get online creating a tunnel through DCU's proxy (damn handy).Changing the dns server doesnt seem to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

Yep issues with eircom again. but open dns is woking fine for me atm.

mobby wrote: »

Ive never had to change dns server, apart from changing the settings in the router and restarting, does anything else need to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep Eircom DNS getting a DOS again, thank god for Open DNS

gleesonger wrote: »
    Ive never had to change dns server, apart from changing the settings in the router and restarting, does anything else need to be done?

Nevermind I set up the laptop to have a static ip address and had to set the dns, which I had origianlly set to eircom so that took priority, working now over open dns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

mobby wrote: »

Guys,

I was getting the same BS here in Mullingar.
    What exactly should I do if it happens again(Open DNS..???).

Cheers,

IM

Change your DNS servers to the Open DNS servers 208.67.222.222

Iomega Man wrote: »
    Guys,

I was getting the same BS here in Mullingar.
    What exactly should I do if it happens again(Open DNS..???).

Cheers,

IM

The easiest way is to change the settings on your router;

1)First logging into your router, its done through your browser (IE\Firefox)
    1a)Getting the address:
    The usuall address for the netopia routers I think is 192.1.168.254 if this is not it open up command prompt (Start->Run->cmd.exe), (you'll have a black screen) type ipconfig and press enter, copy the number next to default gatway.
    1b)Type this number (ip address) into the address bar of your browser
    1c)You may or may not be asked for the username\password the default is usually admin\admin or admin\{blank} otherwise this site will have the default settings http://routerpasswords.com/index.asp

2) Depending on your router model your looking to chage the settings for Primary DNS server and Secondary DNS server, this could be under advanced\expert then configuration\DNS.. take a look around until you find some page which allows you to set these value

3)Copy down the intial values just incase

4)Set the Primary DNS Server to 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server to 208.67.220.220
    Save and reboot (unplug and replug will work)

If you can't get online and want to revet back back to the original settings try firstly to repeat your previous steps but enter the intial values and then again reboot, worst case senorio reset the router, there is probably a button\pinhole that allows you to reset back to default settings.Press and hole until ligths flash\beep sounding....

Or else:
    Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right Click on either Local Area Connection or Wireless COnnection whichever you are using and select Properties

Now Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select Properties. Now select "Use the Following DNS Server Addresses" and enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Thats great stuff guys.
    Thanks a million.

That should make life easier...was tearing my hair out last night.

Advertisement