Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UN cover up of sex trade.

Options
  • 22-01-2002 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,43603,00.html

What is intresting about the story is that the Fox News are claiming the UN are covering up.

I checked the story further and a lot of the similar stories I could find link it to a company DynCorp actually responisble.

Having never heard of them I checked into them too and they appear to be the modern day "Air America".

Anyway I would be intrested to know why the UN hushed the investigation? (or if they did).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What I found hilarious was the closing paragraph :
    The U.S. is the most powerful force opposing the United Nations. If America refuses to meet U.N. demands — and, as yet, the U.S. has not even paid its U.N. fees — then worldwide government will fail. If U.N. policy in Bosnia is a microcosm of what globalization would look like, then an autonomous and dissenting U.S. becomes the hope of the world.

Yes, yes. I see it now. If the UN is in any way non-perfect, then the worlds only hope is to let the US rule us all, cause theyve never done anything wrong. Honest.

Talk about unbiased journalism. Not.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought the UN was the world?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

This the same Fox News that has blond bimbos as news readers and anoying breaks with still screens every 2 feicin mins? The same Fox News that refused to even mention the rest of the Worlds outcry at the treatment of the Afghans at Guantanamo Bay when it was headline news on every other real news channel around the globe? BBC World did a report about Fox and how the average American on the street hadn't a clue what was really going on and didn't give a damn anyway because as far as they were concerned these people were just ' Terrorists ' anyway. Bit like Sand's attitude, surprise surprise, he must be an avid Fox News viewer.

The report showed that so long as Americans retained this attitude and public opinion stays in the US Governments favour then nothing was going to change because at the end of the day the US doesn't give a $hit about anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TBH my level of respect for the UN is such that I wouldnt be surprised if it was true.

From what I know of the media in the US, Fox is seen as a balance to the left wing media bias present there. They have tried to defeat claims of right wing bias by hiring people like Geraldo - who professed his undying love for Bill Clinton and his utter hatred for the US milatary (Geraldo was apparently shocked that the milatary had enough brains to remember that and blank him completely when he was trying to get interviews in afghanistan:) )

Blade youre going to hurt my feelings if you keep saying stuff like that:P Fox might just be recognising that concern for the terrorists is limited to a small number of academics and human rights organisations who are completely divorced from reality. Ive seen no public outrage so far tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Ri-ra

From what I know of the media in the US, Fox is seen as a balance to the left wing media bias present there. They have tried to defeat claims of right wing bias by hiring people like Geraldo - who professed his undying love for Bill Clinton and his utter hatred for the US milatary (Geraldo was apparently shocked that the milatary had enough brains to remember that and blank him completely when he was trying to get interviews in afghanistan )

No disrespect, Sand, but you clearly have no idea what "the media" in the US is like, nor where its biases lie. To suggest that the media in the US is bias towards the "left wing" (left wing? Surely you mean Ralph Nader, and no-one bothered their holes talking to him even during the election. Since then, it's Ralph who?) is daft. It's a GWB love fest at the moment, and shows no signs of abating. Geraldo is by no means a leftie: he's simply a former daytime schlock show "host" wingnut, who's convinced OJ did it. ;) Fox, in all its incarnations (there are many) is aimed at the trailor park trash: you know, the ones with beer stains on their "Wife-beater" t-shirts. But the news gals sure are purty.

• Advertisement

http://www.newsmax.com/showinside.shtml?a=2001/12/31/181351

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/1/2/155438.shtml

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/1/3/183943.shtml

They certainly think there is bias. And if theyre wrong then theyre slandering the people they quote. So youd better alert the aforementioned people.

I remeber one of them saying that the left wing media personalites dont even belive theyre biased, but rather theyre reasonable moderates, and that the right (read any who dare to disagree with them) are whacko nut bags.
    Fox, in all its incarnations (there are many) is aimed at the trailor park trash: you know, the ones with beer stains on their "Wife-beater" t-shirts. But the news gals sure are purty.
    Hmmmm.

They certainly think there is bias. And if theyre wrong then theyre slandering the people they quote. So youd better alert the aforementioned people.

??????!!!!

Surely that's their opinion, and they're welcome to it. But who'd take that case? Anyway, it would be libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

from what i know about the prostitution in bosnia is that it's gang and mafia related. this problem has existed right after the civil war in bosnia and is present both in the Federation and Republika Srpska(a bit more on this side).

most of it is done in night clubs around the country (usually called "Arizona", "Virginia", "Atlanta" etc) where strippers and go-go dancers work. the girls are from the eastern bloc countries who have been traded for money from one club owner to the next and have been promised work in order to support their families back home.

prostitution is illegal in both in the Bosnian Federation and Republika Srpska but is still in operation due to high criminal activity, economic troubles and in some cases corrupt police. ive read a bunch of articles from a number of sources and magazines about this illegal human trade (if you want i can provide links but almost all are in Serb-Croatian language) which goes in detail regarding this problem.

it looks to me that Fox News has picked up on the problem topic of their choice and added a bit of their own newsmaking techniques along. well done Rupert Murdoch, the money is in the post.

adnans

I think people accept prostitution is a given, both in the balkans and in the world at large (Im one of those who view it as a victimless crime and a waste of police resources to chase after- thats not an acceptance of the modern slave trade however). What the article raises is the possibility that the UN is discouraging attempts to investigate links between the trade you mention and certain UN officials (The two romanians mentioned). Are the UN such clean shaven, square jawed types that they are free of corruption on a world where the "leader of the free world" is apparently a puppet?

(P.S Ri-Ra were going offtopic, but given the quotes mentioned in those articles what opinion would you draw regarding bias, if any? )

Hi Sand, I know we're wandering off-topic, so I'll be brief. The "Newsmax" site was actually very funny. I thought that I was reading a copy of "The Onion." Definitely tongue in cheek. IMO.

Edited for brevity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Hmm. I don't have the time to read up asmuch as I'd like about this.Maybe next week. I have to make the following suggestion though, in the spirit of helping everyone. This thread went off topic as soon as the words "From what I know of the media in the US, Fox is seen as a balance to the left wing media bias present there" sprang out. It belongs in the Humour forum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

it wasnt only reported in Fox News after all, this article also appears in pravda magazine. either the UN has turned out to be an *international pimp in order to cover up the fees America usually pays, or it is truly turning a blind eye to the problem that has resulted in the break up of the Balkans after the war.

i would guess the latter happened. since the UN couldnt and still doesnt want to be involved too much into shaping a new region into a peaceful and productive land. just think back to Srebrenica when the UN troops stood by when people were being taken away to die, and the amount of time it took them to realise people of Sarajevo were being submitted to hell from the onslaught of Serbian artillery.

whatever is happening in the UN ranks and being reported in the media looks like is being noticed and something is happenning to change the situation.

adnans

*a joke.

Advertisement