Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blitz Basic

Options
  • 22-01-2002 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

My brother gave me a copy of blitz basic for Christmas. I was a bit non plussed at first how much fun an language that was made for the amiga to write games a long time ago would be but over the last few days I've really gotten into it and its great crack. I've done about a term of C++ programming in college so far and we've only really covered the basics. But the transfer from a C++ syntax to bb has been fairly easy and all the same concepts that we've covered are there. What's more it makes graphics control like child's play. I've banged out a few simple programs so far and its been great crack. If anyone is teach themselves a bit of programming I'd recommend it or if you want to mess around with a bit of game coding then its well worth a look. Blitz basic mainly deals with 2d games but the new version Blitz 3d handles that sort of stuff. Well if you are interested here's the link www.blitzbasic.com. There's a demo there which does all the stuff that retail version does except creat .exe files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

It really was an amazing language for the amiga. You really couldn't call it a Basic language. It was so powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Dark Basic (www.darkbasic.com) was another successful one :)

From the name you would be right in thinking that it derived from the BASIC language. But it lets you write some impressive 3D based games in little time. I've haven't done any of it myself, because I would only go near it if I could get my hands on the full version for free. But you can download demos, games, sounds, textures etc for use during development. Tis all a bit :mad:MAD:mad: really.

Also you can kick back with your PS2, and use YaBasic on the demo CD. Actually what is the story with that?. The day I got my PS2, I spent most of the night testing the language to see what I could do. The result was bugger all with what I was given. But I was amased at it's simplicity, especially I/O from the dualshock controllers etc.

Also Thorbar, as we always say, after you learn C/C++ you will find learning new languages a breeze. Peeps I cannot emphasise this enough, especially to all you VB muppets out there. No offence Kealan (we won't get in to that again).

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I'm just afraid when I go back to C++ programming in the new term I'll forget to put a ; at the end of each line :).

Advertisement