Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bikie advice

Options
  • 15-01-2002 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I said it before, I'm getting a bike, probably middle of next month. However, me needs some advice.

I'm trying to keep different people happy as to my choice of bike;
    My g/f and mum don't want me getting something too fast/powerful. Modern 125's can be very fast as far as far as I've heard. I also have to think about the insurance aspect. I'm only 19, with a full car licence, but only a prov. bike licence, so insurance will be crippling on a powerful bike.

On the other hand......I live in Lucan, and go to college in UCD. The fastest way in is down the M50. Besides, I would still prefer to be able to go faster than 40mph(moped), considering all of my mates live in Templeogue, and I want to be able to get into the city within 15 mins.

So, what I'm asking for:- A non-moped, non-powerful bike that is quite fast (<=60mph), and not way expensive. Is there a happy medium between 50cc and 125cc?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭7Day Theory

Well my advice is never buy anything below 500cc and not for the speed or how the bike will look.

125cc 250cc, i dont care, they are dangerous bikes, they are too light and fickle on the road.
    if this is your first bike then go for a moped, if your never going to leave the city.

for me 500cc is a good balence, but you will get hit for insurance but not heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

First of all on a provisional bike license you're limited to a machine with a certain power to weight ratio, with the total engine output not exceeding 25kW. Although in saying that, many bikes can have restrictors fitted to make 'em legal..... and then there are the "restrictors" that *cough* don't work.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it's illegal to drive on the M50 on a motorcycle with a provisional license....

A 500cc bike is not a good bike to start with. The Insurance will be an utter bastard, not to mention the fact you'll only get Third Party Only unless you're a rich bastard and insane to boot. e.g; A Honda CB500S will set you back about £6,000 brand spanking, and the insurance for you would be about £5,000 Third Party Only.... eek. That's just one example, it gets better....

Compare that to a Yamaha Virago 125cc.... a reasonable looking bike, comfortable to ride, nice and stable on the road, but best of all cheap. Set you back about £4,000 brand spanking, Insurance for you around £2,000 fully comprehensive or about £1,500 Third Party Only.

It's a tough thing to give advice on, because it really depends on the individual. Do you want a snazzy Sports bike? Brand new or second hand? Do you want something you can go cruising on?

Then there's always the mopeds.... *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry yeah, I'm actually looking for a sit-back kinda back, harley style, instead of the lean-forward racing style. Illegal-schmegal on the M50. Once I'm not on a moped the guards won't bother stoppin me. My buying budget is also limited to €2000 so I'll be going second hand. :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far...keep 'em comin!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

might aswell throw in my two cents worth..

I've got a suzuki intruder 125cc. Got in new in aug 2000. Couldnt ask for a better bike. Its sturdily built, not too light and very powerful for the weight & style of bike. Its very comfortable and only uses about a fiver of petrol a week (even using it every day to go to the city/college). I've had it up to about 65/70mph on the dual carraigeway. Very reliable too (even though like most bikes it doesnt like the cold weather). Theres even a 250cc version for 2002.

As regards insurance, you're far FAR better off going for a custom bike because u'd get screwed with a sports bike of any size. I paid about 870 last year fully comp (the VL125 is a group 2). I'm still on a prov license too...

A moped, while quite nippy in the city really shows its weaknesses on the 'real roads' when the fastest you can go is about 35mph. Then again you could always go for something like a panatheon 125cc or that one that suzuki make... but I think thats a 250cc.

I would imagine you'd get a nice looking virago for around €2k, not too speedy or light... because it all comes down to pleasing the mammy at the end of the day :)

Having said that, my Drag Star 650 will be ready for me on Friday, something which the mammy isint too happy about *lol*.
    Another thing to bear in mind is that it's illegal to drive on the M50 on a motorcycle with a provisional license....

Well, you learn something new every day... Do the gardai actually bother to stop people and ask them tho? Cos given the state of the policing down here I wouldnt imagine they'd be bothered setting up check points or the likes.

So to summarise... CBR is a no-no insurance wise, but intruders, virago's or other misc. communters are a good idea. Just watch out cos some cruisers are group 3 insurance. For example, my sister has a 125cc Honda Shadow and pays way more insurance than I do on my 125cc Intruder. Intruder group 2, shadow group 3. Yes indeedy its a tricky business...

(Also a custom bike all shined up and polished looks nicer when ure going to rallies and bike runs :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Rymus, those Yamaha Dragstars are beautiful machines :)

You must show us a photo of it.

(live in fear of my 35mph moped skillz)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well, for my little opinion....

don't bother with a moped, it will melt your head - no speed and very difficult to work/access the engine when you want to service it.

I bought new at the end of '96 a yamaha sr 125 (da sit back kinda style you're looking for) and it has never given me any trouble. It can get up to 60mph on the motorway, but I have to say it's too light for the crosswinds you can get there sometimes (always on the M50 btw) and I have had the experience of nearly being dragged under a passing truck from time to time - but it's the only drawback I can complain about.

If you have a full driving licence for the car then there will be no problem for you to get one for the bike, it's not a difficult test, though I never realised about the hand signals until very close to the test! I pay 369 quid for my insurance (the privilage for those of us who hit 30!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Stephen
    Rymus, those Yamaha Dragstars are beautiful machines :)

You must show us a photo of it.

(live in fear of my 35mph moped skillz)

I should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday so I'll post a picture before it gets dirty for the first time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

First things first, welcome to the world of biking, it will treat you well if you respect it.

I am driving a Kawasaki kz650 at the moment, and I would certainly not recommend anything over a 125 for a learner.

I would go for a Yamaha Dt125r.

Reason 1: It is fairly nippy, ie will do motorway speeds without popping a ring. (Italian race reps)

2: It is a sweet handler with a good set of road dunlops

3: It's tall seat allows a learner to see more of the road, inspiring confidence.

4: Its bomb proof and easily de-restricted.

5: If you drop it (you will) you can kick it back into shape.

Thousands of folk have learned to ride on a DT, so you can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭paddymee

Another choice is something like a KMX 125. Not too powerful, great around town and wont cost a fortune when dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I know you said not moped style.. the Yamaha YP 125 or Majesty is a great bike. As the name says its a 125cc. Automatic transmission, and really comfortable. Motorway speeds.. I got 85 tops out of it, no modifications, engine screaming. it cruised politely at 65 - 70 mph.

I had one for a year and I loved it, then some b1tch decided that she didnt want to stop at a red light and wrote it off for me. Thanks to her I'm now on a yamaha SR 125 which is my first bike with manual transmission. I've had it a day, and the only thing I can complain about is the moving off on a hill.. caused me to miss 2 sets of lights... Completely stalled twice and much to tha anger of the impatient motorists behind me missed not 1 but 2 consecutive green lights.

So I recommend the YP135 and I'll tell ya in a week about the SR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you want a laid back cruiser, try a Virago 125.. Longfield has one and i know the bike as i know the guy who sold it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Eye

crusier are definetly the way to go, atm i'm on a yamaha dragstar 650 and my brother is picking up his 1100 dragstar on saturday...lucky bar steward ;0

anyways, i like you started off about 2-3 years ago looking for transport, just before the bike boom in scooters in my area, it was grand in around town but driving to college for 30mins on open road not much fun, slow and very light, so the following summer i saved up and decided to buy a decent machine, after many many searches and insurance quotes, i can honestly say i'm never buying a sports bike (as much as i'd love a zzr1100 ;) ) for the simple reason insurance is just crazy for any young person on a powerful bike.

i got a quote of i think £1800 for a honda nsr125 and about £1600 for a suzuki rg125, and the fact that there is only one crowd in ireland(to my knowlege) that insure young drivers under 21 on bikes you really are left high and dry, but then one day i saw my neghbour on a suzuki marauder125 and asked him about it, got a quote for it a few days later only to find insurance on that machine was a mere £650 and i was only 19 at the time with provisional license, needless to say i started my biking days by buying a marauder.

Cruisers are the best kind of bikes for beginners in my honest opinion, for lots of reasons, they are not too powerfull that you are gonna skid the back wheel out from under you easily, they are extremely steady on the road because of their longer wheel base, low centre of gravity on the bike and wide handlebars giving plenty of control over the bike even at very slow speeds. personally i think they are the ideal bike for beginners, not too expensive, bought mine new for £3200 i think it was, compared to something like an NSR125 for about £4500.

having recently changed to a dragstar 650 i think it's safe to say i will never buy a sports bike unless i win the lotto or something, when i finish paying for this, i'll probably join my brother and get an 1100 classic dragstar....

and finally, before i finish my ramblings i can tell you that i still have my marauder and it will be going for sale sometime soon, i had it stored away since i got the dragster, so will need to take it out once the weather picks up, make sure she is still running alright, give it a quick service and hopefully sell her on, it's a 00' light blue suzuki marauder 125cc in excellent condition, with passanger backrest, service manual, and saddle bags all thrown in, was gonna be asking for about 2400euros o.n.o.

if anyone is interested, contact me at eye_trust_no1@iol.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd take it off your hands...if I could get rid of this feckin car!!!!:mad: Anyone know any Fiat dealers in Dublin who'll take trade-ins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 thereal_unsane

yo bro,

one of my doggs is selling his bike, it's 125cc or something, but looks like it's more. it's about 2 years old or something, i dunno how much he's sellin it for, but since you know me from here, i'm sure he'll hook you up with a good deal

peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 danbert

First up DT125=good idea
    Virago= bad idea.
    For a learner as far as i'm concerned what you want is somethin not too big, not too small and somethin that when it is dropped, and it most certainly will be dropped, can be banged back into shape with a couple of good hardy boots!
    So my recommendation, for what its worth, would be a, now don't laugh or make funny faces, a CG125.
    Firstly its a four stroke so you won't have to go to the bother of buying Two stroke oil, which incidently is expensive ****.
    Secondly, Air cooled engines= less **** and hassle and this has one.
    It'll do 60-65mph, and runs quite well on encourageing words when fuel is not available.And bestest of all second hand one are everywhere!
    Hit me back if my advice ws of any use, thanx.
    L8r!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

WHOA, whoa, whoa,
    aren't we forgetting the most important thing hear?
    WHICH ONE LOOKS COOLER?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

seamus, have a look here .

some lower powered bikes that still look fairly decent:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Firstly. Welcome to biking.

One more of us, one less of them. :)

I would say that over 125cc would be silly for a first time buy, as would a new bike. These things tend to get pranged and dropped, so a second hand bike will be less painful.

When you're 19, every cc you go up, will cost you more on insurance. I learned to ride on old Suzuki TS100, and couldn't fault it as a first time bike. It's simple, cheap to run, cheap to insure, reliable, and easy to ride. It's not too fast either (65ish tops), so mumsie and the bird should be fine with it.

The handy thing I remember about it was that it was fast to take off. I often shat on a larger bike at a set of lights. Pity he'd run over you 50 yards down the road.

One last piece of advice. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, BUY AN RG OF ANY KIND. If you do, I will call over to your house and slap you.

In summary:

Buy 125 or less.
    Buy second hand. (Spend the cash on a good lid, and leathers).
    RG = Bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Sportsbikes aren't the best bikes to begin on for a variety of reasons...

They tend to be a little more unforgiving when dropped; scratches dents and cracks all over your pretty new fairings.

Insurance is always more expensive with sportsbikes, regardless of the displacement. I believe the NSR125s are now Group 7..... my CBR250RR is only a Group 5.... bear in mind there are plenty of bigger machines in Group 5 also, 500cc cruisers and the like.

You can really blow the bollocks out of the engine if you're not careful. Sportsbikes tend to have much less tolerance for pratting about, as they are tuned for performance.

Then there's always the whole getting your knee down on diesel-coated corners thing.... not the best idea ever :)

Some people like sportsbikes... like me.... and don't care how much they cost.... however for commuting a nice basic second-hand cruiser should do the business.

A reasonably decent skidlid wont set you back too much, and you can get decent synthetic waterfproof/windproof clothing relatively cheap too. Don't go for leathers, they're not well suited to the Irish climate. Gloves are important too, you don't want cold hands... and not to mention a decent pair of boots.... sometimes you're clothing and protective gear can set you back nearly as much as the damn bike.

Advertisement