Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open BSD Newbie Questions

Options
  • 14-01-2002 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Few Q's for you *nix heads...

1. How easy is OpenBSD 3 to install - NOTE i have sucessfully been running SUSE Linux since '98 but i haven't messed around outside X-Win much.

2. How secure is it for personal files, ie. if i have sensitive files can i rely on the integrated crypto to protect them from a physical security breach (a hard drive nicked by someone who knows what they are doing, a hacker, the NSA, whoever...)

3. Where can i get a reliable ISO (i'll buy if necessary)

thanks lads...

b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by tribble
    1. How easy is OpenBSD 3 to install
    Quite easy. No fancy-pants graphics, not even any fancy-pants colours in the install script. All you get are a few simple questions that you have to answer. About the only problem you'd have would be during the partitioning - but with a bit of common sense, you should come through it with flying colours.
    2. How secure is it for personal files, ie. if i have sensitive files can i rely on the integrated crypto to protect them from a physical security breach
    OBSD has integrated crypto, but not in the filesystem (Am I wrong?). If you want to encrypt your files, look toward GnuPG or PGP, both of which are available as packages for OpenBSD.
    3. Where can i get a reliable ISO (i'll buy if necessary)
    From http://www.ie.openbsd.org/faq/faq3.html#ISO
    Of course, any OpenBSD ISO images available on the Internet either violate Theo de Raadt's copyright or are not official images. The source of an unofficial image may or may not be trustworthy, it is up to you to determine this for yourself.
    Your best bet is, if you're starting out, to buy yourself the official CD, with it's free stickers and music track.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It encrypts swap, which is nice. The Cryptographic File System, in /usr/ports/security/cfs might be more suitable for your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

thanks
    pgp i'm familiar with and like though Cryptographic File System looks interesting saw a lot of info on the web so i might give it a shot...

... i expect to lose a few installations to blatent stupidity anyhow's :-)

b

Advertisement