Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And people say bikers drive like lunatics...

Options
  • 12-01-2002 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Just an opportunity for me to have a weekly rant (because if I dont things could get nasty)

While driving to work tonight I came within about 2 inches of being sideswiped twice in a space of 2 minutes on the same stretch of road. I had just gotten onto the link road when some moron in a silver ford focus decided to overtake me without crossing into the inside lane. What a truly magical move it was. He didnt even bother to indicate as he almost took off my rear indicator, almost crushed my right foot and then when pulling back in front of me almost clipped my front wheel. (And on top of everything its pissing rain and quite windy tonight).

Anyway I flashed my lights at him and gestured my disapproval and he took off down the road. Not even 2 minutes later some dopey bitch in a green mazda 121 did the EXACT same thing, except whereas the focus driver had to straddle two lanes due to the size of his car, the wonderful whench driven mazda managed to stay in my lane and successfully force me onto the hard shoulder to avoid being knocked off my bike. Seriously brown pants time it was.. going at about 65mph in the rain & high winds with your knee practically touching the door of the car next to you isint an experience I'd like to have again.

about five minutes down the road I caught up with ms. mazda and gestured appropriately... I was going to get her plate number and report her but I didnt bother cos who's gonna believe me?

Anyway, I'd just like to know if this is an isolated thing that people do just to piss me off, if people are genuinely trying to kill me or has this happened to everyone on two wheels? It really made me sit back and think - how in the name of god did these people pass their driving tests? And perhaps the more important question is - when is psychological profiling going to be instituted as part of your driving test? because it seems that alot of people really need it.. Or else I need to start carrying a pump action shotgun on my back whenever I go out for a ride.

Right well thats my rant.. best go and look for a nice compact shotgun.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Get their numbers... report them...
    It might seem like a ****ty thing to be reporting people but that sounds like 2 cases of dangerous driving.

I can tolerate a lot of different things that people do while driving but you have to draw the line at some point and say "that's too far".

If it makes them cop on even a little bit, even if they only get a good speaking to by a guard or whatever, it may be enough to prevent a serious (fatal?) accident in the future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I just had one such experience today... I was on the M50 which isn't generally a hugely busy road on a Saturday evening; we're talking around half eight or so.

I was nipping down the fast lane, as you do, keeping just on the speed limit, when an articulated lorry that was moving in the slow lane decided to move out into the fast lane. No indicators, and if he checked the road was clear he must have dismissed my CBR as something that wouldn't damage this trailer if he were to force me into the unforgiving grass in the centre of the M50.

He swung the cab out first and in a slightly mental manouvre then proceeded to flick his trailer out and into the fast lane, actually very nearly losing control of his vehicle. As for me, I very nearly shat myself, braked like a lunatic and very nearly went on my arse as the bike threatened to slide out underneath me on the slippery road surface.... not an experience I would care to repeat.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the main thing you have to look out for as a biker are the inconsiderate car and truck drivers who don't give your bike a second thought as they deem it wont do much damage to their vehicle... and as we all know if you come off your bike you're going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by rymus
    overtake me without crossing into the inside lane.

Don't you mean outside? :)

I was thinking of getting a bike until a friend of mine had a nasty accident on one. Some bovine reversed right out in front of him as he rode down a wet slippery hill. The reality is that drivers just don't see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bloody bikers should get out of the way of real machine owners :)

by the way, next time if someone gets close enough to kick, why dont you do just that.
    it will scare the ****e out of them.
    aspecially if youre both doing about 90 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger

Don't you mean outside? :)

Yes sorry thats what I mean. Outside lane as I'd be in the slow lane and they should have crossed into the fast lane.

WWMan, might get some heavy duty kevlar plated gloves and put my fist thru their window instead of kicking their door. Now THAT would scare someone (as well as giving them a bigger repair bill). Hurt like hell but it would be worth it.

Getting my new bike on friday aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

if there is one thing I have learned after driving a bike for the last 10 years - it is that you get on your bike with the thought that everybody else out there is a f**king lunatic and should be treated accordingly - that way, there is half a chance you get to your destination in one piece!

as for you WhiteWashMan - I know that was a joke! but the fact of the matter is, most drivers actually think that way!!
    the bigger the machine the more the driver thinks he owns the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭paddymee

WWMan, might get some heavy duty kevlar plated gloves and put my fist thru their window instead of kicking their door. Now THAT would scare someone (as well as giving them a bigger repair bill). Hurt like hell but it would be worth it.

I went to do that once as I was filtering. This bitch kept cutting me off and ****ing me around.

So as I was going by I decided to smack her passanger window.

Except the frigging window was open. My hand went into the car, smacked off the frame and nearly pulled me off the bike. And I hurt my wrist just to top it off.

Dont do that anymore.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

just a quick follow up..

I was driving home from work today and for those who know it: I was waiting on the sarsfields rd. roundabout on the bishopstown side. Anyway there I sat waiting for an opening and next thing I hear a crunch and feel the bike being pushed over. Yes indeed some prick in a BMW had hit me from behind. He didnt do much damage, only bent my already cracked number plate and slightly scuffed a bit of plastic on the back.

Now granted that this wouldnt have happened if the driver was paying attention but what really made me see red was the fact that he didnt even get out of his car to see if I/my bike was ok. He just screamed out the window "Is it ok" and then took off.

Anyway as chance would have it I have a couple of friends in the Gardai so I'll be in contact with them with his number plate and then they can do their stuff. Just thought it was an ironic thing to happen the day before I sold my bike.

Ohh,and the look of fear in his eyes was classic. He must have thought that I was going to smack him round a bit when I got up off the ground. (although the thought had crossed my mind)

Advertisement