Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywere decent to prepair for the oral irish leaving cert exam.

Options
  • 12-01-2002 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

My little bro is going about to start the leaving cert, but he, like the rest of us, can put two words of irish together. i was wondering if anybody knew a place besides the gaeltacht's(things hes to old for it) that he could get prepare for the oral leaving cert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 absinth

I see this post is 4 months old but there's still time left. I'd advise listening to Raidíó na Gaeltachta at around 1.00 and 6.00 pm for the news - they do the main stories followed by 3 regional reports with the 3 accents / cainiúnta that appear in the aural test. I used to tape the nuacht when I was preparing for my leaving and listening to it for 10 - 15 mins daily was a great help for both the oral and aural exams.

There's even more news audio in Irish if you go to the following site and then click on 'naisc':

http://www.ucc.ie/igl/

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

the gaeltacht i went to years ago, (colaiste sheosaimh, cill chiarain, connemara) and i'd say most other ones too, run a "cursa na cásca" at easter time, specifically to prepare students for the oral irish exam. if it's too late for him to go to a summer course, this might be ideal. i'd say you should hurry though, as the place sfill up pretty fast. it's good fun, too.

also, places like bruce, the institute, etc offer oral courses

i know it sounds really lame, but he could try to get used to speaking irish at home, or with his friends, there two coffee houses i know of in dublin anyway that are lán-gaelach, one's on kildare street, "áit bia" i think (opposite the alliance francais), and trí-d on dawson street, beside waterstones-i think!

also he might want to try places like conradh na gaeilge (harcourt st.) even if they can't help much, they could recommend other avenues i haven't

other than that, just watching TG4 and listening to RnaG will help him to familiarise himself with the different dialects and accents-on the offchance his examiner is from donegal or worse-kerry! watching the nuacht especially will help as he can pick up words and phrases to use in conversation, as they invariably ask current-affairs type questions. other than that, just keep talking until you can't talk any more, steer the conversation the way YOU want it to go, to fit your knowledge, vocab and what you have prepared, and remember, DON'T PANIC!

.......oh, and by the way, if people tell you to get foinse, don't! it's fuck all use!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Geofflyons

If you need help with Oral Irish pick up the Irish Independent on Saturday March 1 and Saturday March 8.
    Visit www.independent.ie/agcaint for all the info.

G

Ah good, I'll be in Mcd's first thing in the morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Louis Walsh's converted attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Boston wrote: »
    My little bro is going about to start the leaving cert, but he, like the rest of us, can put two words of irish together. i was wondering if anybody knew a place besides the gaeltacht's(things hes to old for it) that he could get prepare for the oral leaving cert

cen fath nach ndearna se beagan staidear? ag feitheamh ar mhioruilt ata tu.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Cén haois é?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Osclaíodh an snáith seo thart ar naoi mbliana ó shin.
    Ní dóigh liom go bhfuil Boston fós ag lorg eolais. Go háirithe nuair nach n-úsáideann sé an cuntas sin níos mó...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Seo 'thread' níos déanaí le haigheadh an scrúdú béil:

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056216316

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement