Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Firewall

Options
  • 03-01-2002 10:28am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭

zonealarm Pro, blackice defender, or norton personal firewall 2002?

system is xp home with a w2k client running on a perm cable connection.

thoughts?

and no i won't setup a linux firewall with ipchains :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

> system is xp home

if you want security.. Get rid of XP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

and no i won't get rid of XP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I use ZoneAlarm on Win2k and I'm quite happy with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=313/BYT20000309S0002/

Anyone aware of any silly weaknesses or vulnerabilities in these products?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Zone Alarm on XP Corp without any worries here..
    (OK I also have an ISDN router with NAT since two weeks...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

hacked.jpg

roffle

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hehe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

that pic says it all
    /me goes to email my visa details to blackice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GTtomo

Black Ice is not bad it also gives you a nice little display for your network traffic. It is always a good idea to go to security focus and check up on the software you are going to install on your work station before buying it just to make sure there are no major Vulnerabilities and if there is make sure there are patchs out there for em. I remember a while back I install a certain filtering software over a network of about 20 pcs and block out some sites due to the fact the staff where on these sites all day instead of working etc. .. the bosses idea any way the filtering software could be bypasted if the user put a full stop after the domain so say banned.com was banned all the user had to do was to put www.banned.com/. Kinda funny when you think of the 20 certs we had paid for. Net gaurd was the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

tomos post sounds a bit silly to me. I mean surely you would have blocked the ip addresses and not the domain names, which means the whether someone types www.boards.ie or www.boards.ie/. it should access the same ip address therefore the block would still work, now security is not my forte but that makes sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

tomo, how can you come back here and pretend to be a stand-up member of this community when you spammed Goatsex on several forums.

Banned. Bye.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I run Zone Alarm here on Win XP Pro and it works fine
    takes a minute to set it up to run with all your other programs and its norotious for leaving its settings there when u remove it and even when its turned off it can still block stuff - not fun when ur at a lan for the weekend and find this out on the sunday

Anyway go for ZA

i've been using ZA pro for about a year now.
    its good but the popup's are annoying @ times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by MiCr0
    and no i won't get rid of XP

well - i hope for you sake that you have applied all the patches - and gone to grc.com and used their utilities to close the gapeing security holes

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I use ZA Pro too Micro but I've just told it not to bother me with most of the stuff. Then you dont get the popups...

DeV.

its not on the machine i use and the popup are disrupting others who use the machine.
    i seem to have killed them all @ this stage so.
    until the linux server is up and running i guess we'll stick with za pro

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

ZA pro on win2k. It seems to work okay, but UI-wise, it's a bloody nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Blackice works away grand. Easy to use..you dont even need to have an annoying thingy in the systray..its allways on. Conseal PC firewall is good for more advanced users.

Any idea how good the Windows XP built in firewall is? I'm running the Pro. one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sacred cow

You can remove the startup splash screen from ZA by modifying the shortcut you use to launch it.
    You just need to put the following switch after the Target line in the shortcut's properties (rgt clk the shortcut and choose properties):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nosplash

Add the bit in bold to the existing command line, make sure to put the space in between the " and - characters.

No more ZA splash on startup.

Apologies if you were already aware of this tweak.Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I've been using Sygate's (www.sygate.com) personal firewall for a while and I find it excellent. I actually prefer it to ZA as its logging is better, you can run a trace for an IP right from the firewall, and its advanced options are extensive and there is no splash screen on start-up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement