Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl MMDS - Co. Galway

Options
  • 30-12-2001 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Just to let folks know that I usually have good to very good MMDS reception north of Galway City from ntl. I have read how crappy Chorus is supposed to be. MMDS mast is run by ntl and is at Tonabrucky just on western side of city on a high hill overlooking the Corrib. Orginally, the signal was brought in from a site at Kilconnel nr Ballinasloe from the Brougher Mt. transmitter in NI when it was run by Cablelink. Pictures have improved on all channels since ntl took it over - pictures now seem to be beamed in from Divis - using other MMDS links I suppose? No way is the Divis signal receivable off air on this side of the country. The teletext ID on UTV & CH4 is "Div". The MMDS sigal can be received as far as Cong in Co. Mayo -direct line of sight over the Corrib. Any thoughts?

The MMDS is paid for by my parents. I brought my SkyDigibox from UK when I moved back in April. Have BBC1 & " (English versions), ITV London and Meridian on EPG and access to all the other regions plus ITV, BBCN 24, BBC Knowledge, BBC 2 NI, W 7 Scotland, TARA plus Radio 5 Live and Talk Sport. I use an 80Cm mesh dish and 0.7 LNB.

Radio 5 live sports extra now testing on one of the BBC transponders but I think the sky card is needed. The stored channels on the digibox keep getting wiped when box os rebooted of gets a listings update each morning. Any one else found this?

Comments

Hi there,
    The teletext from all Northern Ireland UTV transmitters displays "DIV" including Brougher.
    Apparently this is because all the feeding originates in Divis.
    Ntl have a much better maintainence record than Chorus-this is why your signal is good-they actually keep their gear fairly new.
    From my experience Chorus don't do much with their mmds transmitters unless a storm blows them down.
    And as any Chorus Mmds customer will tell you, in the case of storm damage Chorus wait for the next storm, in the hope that that will blow the mast back up again:D This is because they cany afford maintainence engineers,from what I can gather.

With a direct line of sight most mmds transmitters can work well at distances of up to 30 miles(30 metres if you're on crappus:D )
    So a well maintained NTL instalation could go a lot further.

Incidently I believe the NTL boxes have Stereo sound!
    Crappus only provide mono on analogue mmds and with a mostly wavy dull picture as well.
    How people just lie down and put up with that , I just do not know...:mad:
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

No, ntl MMDS doesn' t have stereo sound either! I use my UK digibox and sub to the family mix of channels now ITV1 is on satellite. I can beam in the digibox signal from my room to the main w/screen tv in sitting room using one of those new giga videosenders - it transmits stereo sound as well.

Eventually, when I move hse I am going to have the 80cm dish fixed for Sky and get a 1m solid one for roaming the skies - connected to pace ms1000 analogue box and humax 5300 Viaccess embedded cam digital receiver.

I wonder if RTE will be available on a non-sub card like BBC is?

Anyone know where the co Galway MMDS signal is being brought in from? I think it will be around for a while as DTT here seems so slow starting.

Advertisement