Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Digital picture freezing

Options
  • 20-12-2001 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Judging by the other posts on this forum it looks like I'm not the only one getting that problem on the digital channels of the picture often freezing for a second. I've tried to ignore it but there are times when it's just unbearable. Eastenders on BBC1 tonight was virtually unwatchable with constant pausing and juddering throughout. So I just wanted to ask a couple of things -

1) Does anyone know what causes this? Is it a fault with the decoder or some weakness in the digital signal?

2) Has anyone complained to NTL about it? And if so, what response did you get and did they manage to fix/improve it in any way?

I thought it might be the decoder and I was considering getting NTL to come out and have a look at it, but I suppose if everyone's got the same problem then there wouldn't be much point as that's not to blame? :(

Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Gavin W
    I thought it might be the decoder and I was considering getting NTL to come out and have a look at it, but I suppose if everyone's got the same problem then there wouldn't be much point as that's not to blame? :(

Gavin

Hmm - it might be something to do with the decoder. I've had to, on occasion, unplug the darn thing after it locks up after being on for a number of hours.

The installer advised me to put it in standby mode when not in use. Now and again, usually around midnight - if I'm scanning through the channels at pace, the system freezes. No message appears on the decoder panel - so after I unplug for a few seconds, I get the "updating..."

To be honest, I feel NTL just chanced their arm rolling it out. It's nowhere near ready. What's the point in having digital TV if you can't even avail of the interactive service - say on BBC 1's documentaries, ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

:mad: Hi all

Its been like this from dayone you ring them and all you get is were looking into this, went to book a film last month it started and after a few secs the picture went sound only rang them the same reply but the buggers still tryed to gharge for it on the bill
    when i rang them and explained this a nice girl said we will credit your next bill bugger that i have rang them to tell them to take it out
    on the way out to get a sky dish dont get ntl digtal its a pack of rubbish

corkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    To be honest, I feel NTL just chanced their arm rolling it out. It's nowhere near ready. What's the point in having digital TV if you can't even avail of the interactive service - say on BBC 1's documentaries, ffs?
    NTL are required to offer a digital TV service as a condition of their licence. Even though the service is very basic, it does satisfy the ODTR's requirements and allows NTL to stay in the analogue cable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Even though the service is very basic, it does satisfy the ODTR's requirements...

But does it satisfy the requirements if it's a crock of ....? I have a terrible feeling it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger But does it satisfy the requirements if it's a crock of ....? I have a terrible feeling it does.
    It appears to satisfy their requirements. Earlier this year (I think April) they were in danger of losing their licence. In order to retain it, they were required to introduce digital TV by September to a certain number of homes. Since then, they have applied for, and got, a 33% increase in their fees. So the ODTR appear to be satisfied. Mind you, the ODTR have very low standards for cable companies. No requirement for interactivity or telecommunications, for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement