Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

couple of questions

Options
  • 18-12-2001 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, i have a few questions which im desperately trying to research. so maybe one of you guru types out there hazs an answer for me......

1)can you install a previous version of office or any of its components on a system with office 2000 on it.
    i have a win2k system with off2000 o nit.
    someone needs access 97 installed. will there be a conflict?
    i dont see why it doesnt work. obviously i havent tried it yet, but i just thought id throw it in :)

2)file size limitations.
    i cant find the answer to this one anywhere.
    i want to find out what the largest size files are that i can have.
    someone here has a 4gig file and they need it to go bigger.
    currently using win2k sp2. i think it is possibly fat16, but unsure.
    i know there is a file limitation upto 4gig, but im unsure if this is just fat32. or am i thinking of unix?

3)if i can have files larger than 4gig in ntfs, thenm i will have to convert his d: drive to ntfs. i have never used ntfs on a win2k machine before, i imagine its the same as nt4.
    what problems can i encounter if i just upgrade through disk administrator? will i get any sort of fat32/ntfs conflicts?

on a side note, if i convert my system at home the same way, will my games etc still work? now that i am curious about, but not curious enough to go and break my system for a few days :)
    what about graphics cards etc.
    actually thats something ive always been curious about.
    i assume the same drivers wok in win2k regardless of what file system you are using. true or false?

4)anyone know why my pdc running nt4 sp5 rebooted itself the other day for?
    only thing in the event log was something about server rebooted due to a bug check. no idea after that.

thats it for the moment, im sure i'll out more up as i come accross them.

oh, actually, one other thing.
    anyone know some, learn access in about 3 minutes web sites.
    i have to do some sort of linking in access and make it work on a html front end.
    im network support, not bloody development!
    the joy of small companies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

1) Should work, I had a machine here with office 97, word 2k and something else 98 :)

2)no idea

3)woo wouldn't try the conversion when games are involved ;)

4)if its a networded pc, maybe there was an anti-virus update? sometimes they require reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

1) should work as long as you un-install any newer versions of Access.
    2) here
    3) *should* not be a problem theoretically. This means do a backup and pray...
    Wouldn't know as far as games go, am too busy doing interesting stuff to play games...
    4) Hey, Windows, what can I say...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

azezil, could be, but i do all the antivirus manually, so it wasnt an auto reboot from that.

mayhem, thats the problem, they want both versions.
    i think it will be an install and prey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    azezil, could be, but i do all the antivirus manually, so it wasnt an auto reboot from that.

mayhem, thats the problem, they want both versions.
    i think it will be an install and prey :)

You can't have both version running on the same OS, it wll default to the newest version, only option is to have a dual boot machine...
    Why do they want both versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by mayhem#

You can't have both version running on the same OS, it wll default to the newest version, only option is to have a dual boot machine...
    Why do they want both versions?

because they have certain files that wont run on access 2000 but will run on access97 for some strange reason.
    i think they were created using lotus or something and the newer version of access doesnt have the compatibility part or something.
    i dont know!
    god, im only coverig for a week!
    im a hardware engineer jim, not a database administrator!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Office97 will work fine in the same OS installation as 2000. Just install them to different locations (I have it done for the same reason).

File sizes. NT4/Win2k/XP could use 4gb for Fat16 PARTITIONS. Fat32 is limited to 32Gb on Win2k, and is pants after 8gb anyway. NTFS is the way to go, and no it won't affect games or anything else if you convert - the OS is the only thing that has to know what File System is in use, not the app (though there has been the very odd case of an incompatibility this was down to poor app programming)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Office97 will work fine in the same OS installation as 2000. Just install them to different locations (I have it done for the same reason)

Yep, but mdb files etc will default to 2000 when opened from explorer. You'll have to open them from within Access 97 when you want to use that (afaik).

The other questions? haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Access V2, Access 97 and Access2000 will all run fine on the same machine, but as the man said do a custom install and put them in different directories/folders.

The reason your user needs the different versions is that he wants to use a Access97 database. This will not open in Access2000 unless you convert it to Access2000 format, which can open up all sorts of nasty problems(it may never work again) and really piss off anyone else using the database. As far as opening the older database files, an easy way is to create a Desktop Shortcut with a custom command line telling windows which version of Access to use to open the file.

Your Domain controller error would make me think that the memory crashed and it just rebooted, as bad as they are, most programs will ask you before rebooting your machine(Microsoft Works excepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

1) They will run on the same machine, but you're generally recommended to install from oldest to newest.

2) Given your questions on Access, I *really* hope they dont have a 4GB .mdb file. Other than that, you've had this one answered.

3) Shouldnt be a problem, but there *are* known issues about moving your system drive to NTFS after installation when using NT. Think it may have been fixed in SP5.

4) Right Click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". Go to "Advanced". Click on "Startup & Recovery". You should see in here (under "System Failure") "Automatically Reboot".

Basically, NT/W2K doesnt always BSOD when it hits a system crash. In some scenarios it goes straight to the reboot. It *should* put up a BSOD, but hey - MS's error handling is buggy, what can I say :)

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

some older programs have problems writing to ntfs systems, I encountered a problem with Tharstern a quotation program, where it could only write certain files to a FAT partition, if it tried to create a file on ntfs it just created a folder with that filename: tharvxx.tha

other than that there is no reason not to use NTFS, much less error prone and efficient than FAT.

what is it they need 97 for that can't be done in 2000 ???

u can save files in 97 format using 2000 and read them in...

the limit on file size with fat was 1 gig afaik, fat32 maybe more (you can't have a 4 gig file on a fat 16 partition as fat 16 only goes up to 2.1 gb a partition :p) tho I think the file size limitation was a function of windows, breaking it was seen as a help for people creating movies etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement