Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uk card

Options
  • 11-12-2001 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

If i order a digibox with a uk card ,say on ebay,does this card expire.Can i use this card on an irish digibox or would i have to have two digibox's.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

To change the card to another digibox, you'll need to ring the number onscreen. You will need the name and address of whoever the card is registered under. I assume that when you buy any of these boxes and cards on ebay, you'll not be given the details of whoever reged the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I've another question:

Is it possible to register two cards to the one box?

Yes at the moment you can register two cards to the one box-if one is a UK BBC card from a previous address.
    What you do , simply is this:
    Tell Sky that you have bought an un subbed box ( the one from e-bay for instance with a working BBC Card)
    But Dont tell them you have a BBC Card for that box as they WILL switch it off when they get your new boxes serial number!
    Ask them to pair your existing card with the new box.
    Then its only a matter of switching cards.

However as was pointed out months ago by a user of this forum,
    If you put a bbc card that is paired to a different box-you will get a message on all the bbc channels stating that the card is not paired to the box and ring 0870.....
    However Channel Four and Channel Five will be available.
    And I presume by now that cards ITV region on 103 (but I'm not sure of the latter-but its most likely the case)
    mm

Regarding registering a BBC card to your Irish digibox which already has an Irish Sub on it- as I've stated That at present can be done, but is getting more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Madman,

>>>Regarding registering a BBC card to your Irish digibox which already has an Irish Sub on it- as I've stated That at present can be done, but is getting more difficult

Can you please elaborate?
    I have a card on order from England, and I want to make sure I don't make any slip-ups when getting BBC activated.
    Let me know if there are any hints.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

If i were to just use the new box and card (from Ebay)could you tell me if the card were to expire.What i mean is do sky send out new cards yearly.if this were the case i would obviously not be able to get hold of the new card and have to go about getting one of which i have no idea.

• Advertisement

Afaik,
    Sky digitals platform has not been hacked yet-so unlike the old analogue Sky system-they do not send out new cards at all.
    Any updates that need to be done are done via the satellite signal.
    Sky do send messages to the Digiboxes asking it to "phone home",ie the box when connected to a phoneline will ring sky on a 1800 number,thereby confirming its location.
    In theory then if you have a UK Sky Sub (say the family pack or whatever) paid out of a UK a/c and address and you are living in Ireland or Continental Europe-there could be problems!
    As Sky would be telling your box to phone an 0870... number without the +0044 , as obviously you are supposed to be in the UK.
    Your box tries on its Eircom landline to dial out that number (or on a continental phoneline) and it cant-therefore resulting in Sky getting suspicious and maybe turning off your Sub-untill you ring them and sort it out (which would be difficult as with the English card-theres no way your box is going to dial "0044...")

This problem is unlikely to arise with the BBC Card though as Sky wouldn't have any reason to ask Your box to phone home with a Free to View BBC Card
    It also shouldn't arise if your Sky pack card is paired to an unsubbed box.

Thats just my theory on it anyhow.
    mm

byte

I have an FTV card but without BBC channels as I don't know the details of registrant. Anyway, I used to have C4 and C5 but now all I get is "To upgrade to this channel call...." Have Sky cut it off altogether? I cant ring obviously! Maybe if I insert card and leave it in for few hours it will reactivate itself as it's been out of box for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

thank a million madman

Irishbyte:
    Had you a phone line connected to the box?
    at any rate I suspect general "calling all boxes" messages from the sattelite could have Knocked out your card.
    Let us know if ch 4 etc work again as it will give us an idea of how,these things work.
    mm

byte

It was not slotted in when ITV was added to EPG in UK. Maybe this would have prompted the card to sleep. I will stick it back in receiver soon to see if the 3 channels reappear. Would love to get the Beebs activated on it though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bmg

my bbc card switches off sometimes if its not put in the box often but always comes back on if left in the box for a day.this is because a signal is sent to the card every so often.if the card misses it because its not in the digibox then you have to wait until the next one comes.

byte

Ah maybe that's what's wrong then. I haven't left it in box for a day yet coz apart from C4, C5 and ITV London, there's not much other use for it. Of course, I would love to register it with my box for Choice, News24 and 5LIVE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

I have an Irish Sky sub and a box working in Dublin. This is not connected to a phone line.

I'm hopefully getting a UK FTV card in the next few days.

Can I just ring up and pair the FTV card to my box or will that alert anybody. When I ordered the FTV card they had records that the UK address had a UK Sky Digital installation.

byte

Well, I stuck my FTV card into my box last Friday and after 10 mins, Channel 5 came on, followed few mins later by Channel 4, then ITV1 London. If only there was a way around getting the damned thing paired to my box without them always asking for name and address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by irishbyte
    If only there was a way around getting the damned thing paired to my box without them always asking for name and address.

Well if you know how to get around Skys equivalent of a dongle then i know some guys who would pay lots and lots for that info.
    ;)

Advertisement