Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio 5 Live

Options
  • 11-12-2001 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

For those of you like myself, who enjoy Radio 5 live, and receive a bad reception on medium wave, just to let you know it is available on Sky digital here in the republic from midnight until 6am on channel 904. Its a relay on BBC Radio Cymru.
    i normally listen to this station late at night, so its nice to hear it without the breakups experienced on mw.

Comments

Coooooooooooooooooooooll :cool:
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I love Radio 5 Live. Luckily I have it on NTL, so I get to hear it whenever I'm at home. But I wish we could get it on Sky Digital 24 hours (along with having the other BBC radio stations on the EPG), mainly for programme info (Sky Digital makes you sooo lazy).

I don't really understand how BBC Radio Cymru is on the EPG when the other Beebs aren't. And even stranger is the fact that Radio 5 Live is rebroadcast clear after midnight, when it's encrypted on the Other Channels. I know there are rights issues, but surely they apply after midnight as well, ie for cricket matches etc.

It's definitely time to put pressure on Sky and the Beeb to put the radio stations on the EPG, give us 5 Live, and make Knowledge, Choice and News 24 available. Because when Knowledge and Choice change into BBC 3 and 4, we're really going to start missing out on good programmes (their budgets will increase significantly).

Somebody start a campaign !!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

is EPG# 904 available in ireland or is it
    BBC Radio Cymru via other channels

bfn bhg
    sad radio five live anorack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

oi bbc! NOOOO! oi wants my bbc 3 and 4!! NOW!

please.

but if there are eneough people looking for the channels are they likely to actually put them on the epg?? or even listen??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 happyhammer

i bought a secondhand digibox in the UK with a BBC FTV card. This second box allows me to view all the UK TV channels as well as listen to radio 5 live and Talksport radio.
    Also i'll be able to watch BBC while the kids watch the simpsons on sky 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I dont see what the problem is with BBC news24 is. With the new BBC text service you can watch it with the video highlights. I think also Radio 5 should be broadcast in Ireland the only comapny with a problem would be Today FM who broadcast a match on Saturdays.
    I am up for a campaign.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colm

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    I love Radio 5 Live. Luckily I have it on NTL, so I get to hear it whenever I'm at home.

Did u have to subscribe to a radio package?? or something to get 5 Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I want my 5 Live. I'm an avid fan of that station, espically Alan Green. Fantastic commentator.

It's not as good as it was 5 years ago, but easily still the one.

Originally posted by colm
    Did u have to subscribe to a radio package?? or something to get 5 Live?

You should be able to connect a lenght of co-ax to any decently equiped stereo, and tune to 95.1 MhZ.
    All the BBC stations are available, there is a list of frequencies on the ntl.ie website, somewhere...... I'll post 'em if I can find 'em.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Radio 5 Live is part of NTL's cable package, along with BBC Radios 1-4, Ulster, World Service, Classic FM, Deutsche Welle and others.

You just have to run a coaxial cable from the FM outlet on their junction box to your sound system.

• Advertisement

Got 'em!

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/frequency.html

Radio Frequencies for Dublin Cable
    Radio Station Frequency
    RTE Radio 1 89.4
    2FM 91.7
    RnaG 93.9
    Lyric FM 97.5
    98FM 99
    FM104 104.6
    Today FM 100.6
    BBC Radio 1 99.7
    BBC Radio 2 90.1
    BBC Radio 3 92.3
    BBC Radio 4 96.35
    ************BBC Radio 5 LIVE********** 95.1
    BBC World Service 97.1
    Classic FM 101.9
    BBC Radio Ulster 94.5
    Radio Deutsche Welle 101.1
    World Radio Network 102.7

(just an added starry effect for 5 Live :) )

Just to add some more to this,

A couple of years ago, the Astra 1 feed for 5 Live was turned off, for rights issues.

I pestered NTL, to get it back, and it returned within a month.

As 5 Live is available on cable, that is another complaint we can aim at Sky Digital and the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Yes i think it is a good argument to put to Sky. If radio 5 live is available on NTL cable, then it should be on Sky Digital here in the republic.
    As for the campaign that was mentioned on another thread......lets do it!!!!
    This forum has done it before. E-mails and more e-mails. thats what is needed. But question???? Who do we write to the BBC or Sky or BOTH ????

Oooh both, to show our eagerness.

We want the BBC to see that we like them very much down here, and to show Sky that we want them to have the other BBC channels on the EPG, and also, that if they want further penetraion into the ROI market, that they need all the channels already available to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

5 Live is also broadcast on Radio Scotland (via Other Channels) throughout the night too. what will be interesting is when this new interactive FA Cup coverage by the BBC starts in January. that will also have 5 Live coverage included on it as an alternative to tv commentary. that will surely not be blocked out. no other BBCi goodies have been so far. MW is poor, i want it as clear as it was on the analogue satellite a few years back. i too am up for this campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whoa!

Hold it right there everyone, I'm on NTL in Waterford
    and Radio 5 Live is nowhere to be found! The frequency
    used to be 91.5 then it disapeared for copyright reasons,
    so how is it back?

Is everyone else on this thread in Dublin, Galway?

I want my Five Live!.

Mike.

I dunno where NTL get the 5 Live signal from (Sky Digital?? but it seems as quick as Analogue, i.e. no digital delay)

You're right Mike, its not on the freq list for Waterford, I've a feeling your gonna be ringing your favourite customer services people, Mike!!:( :( )

Damien. (in Dublin for tax reasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

when 5 live analog was dropped around the olympics
    I rang NTL twice a day till it came back, ok not
    everyday but the days I rang I did it more than
    once a day. I emailed them over n over till
    cust care got back to me.

AFAIK they brought the signal in from belfast
    not Sky digital as the signal returned before
    the rights issue was sorted.

I have 95.1MHZ and have listened to R5L since
    it was dubbed radio bloke, and have fond
    memories of the Vincent Hannah prog, before
    he was taken to the big radio studio in the sky.

I have clocked up many hours listening to R5L
    since the month we lost it (October 2000?) and
    dont hear any tell tail signs that the link is
    Sky Digital, ie any drop out is abrupt with no
    digital stuttering, so perhaps Waterford is a
    network too far to bring R5L to, for NTL tech
    guys.

I hear from radiowaves.fm, NTL has exclusive
    rights on R5L, if this is so, Why? How? I
    would like it to be clear on Sky as I plan to migrate to Sky in the summer as NTL have lost
    the platform war, got 34% fee rise from ODTR for nothing (ie, for same old analogue service) to
    fund digital, and if NTL have 12billion debt, how
    long can it survive?

bfn bhg
    if you want a campaigner - you got one

Yes, I miss Vincent Hanna too, what a great show. And its good to hear that Rhod Sharp is coming back from his sabbatical soon.

Seems it's gonna happen in early January!
    Alan Green or Barry Davies? No contest!
    "Ref, blow your whistle, and put us out of our misery!"

Again from Produxion.com....

http://www.produxion.com/asp/nframe.asp?source=articleviewuser.asp&sid=7&aid=8697

Five Live footie.

Armchair football fans will be able to listen to BBC Radio Five Live match commentaries through their television sets when the BBC launches an interactive service for its FA Cup coverage next month, writes Leigh Holmwood

Users of all digital platforms will be able to substitute TV commentaries by John Motson with either Five Live or natural match sound as part of a range of new services to be launched from the third round of the Cup.

Other features, which will vary platform to platform, include updated statistics as the game progresses, continuous edited highlights and a split-screen option.

BBC sport deputy editor Niall Sloane said: 'The FA Cup interactive service gives fans a chance to watch the BBC's coverage the way they want to see it.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you're going to be able to see stuff, then surely it cannot be called a radio station anymore!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what it is is an interactive feature on BBC1 which will include 5 Live commentary as an option instead of normal telly commentary

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh, sounds promising! Have to wait n' see

Advertisement